Medium-sized City Skylines

theSuburbs

Which medium-sized city in the Midwest has the best skyline?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which medium-sized city in the Midwest has the best skyline?

• Toledo
    • South Bend
    • Grand Rapids, MI
    • Madison
    • Cedar Rapids
    • Dayton, OH
    • Lansing
    • Other

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say Lansing has done pretty well with its downtown being that it was almost dead from the 60's to the 90's except for the state buildings (owned or occupied) but you have to admit Lansing has one the most historic downtowns of the ones mentioned, almost like Detroits when compared to major Midwestern cities.

I've lived in both GR and Lansing within the past 3 years and I must say that Grand Rapids is by far more beautiful, and continuing to grow. However Lansing has the most potential, if focus was made on improving things at street level more development would be sure to happen in the future. Slowly businesses are making their way to Downtown Lansing, as they are in Grand Rapids and Detroit.

I think the urban core of Michigan is slowly finding itself again. Even Flint (somewhat) and Kalamazoo with their improved riverfront are seeing downtown development! Though our economy is in the toilet (thank Gov. Granholm for that), the major downtowns are beginging to find their way back!

I've lived in both GR and Lansing within the past 3 years and I must say that Grand Rapids is by far more beautiful, and continuing to grow.  However Lansing has the most potential, if focus was made on improving things at street level more development would be sure to happen in the future.  Slowly businesses are making their way to Downtown Lansing, as they are in Grand Rapids and Detroit.

I think the urban core of Michigan is slowly finding itself again.  Even Flint  (somewhat) and Kalamazoo with their improved riverfront are seeing downtown development!  Though our economy is in the toilet (thank Gov. Granholm for that), the major downtowns are beginging to find their way back!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is truely pitiful is that when it comes to Michigan governer, it's looking like Granholm will be the best choice :( Athough I do say that Lansing does have a lot of potential, probably more than GR in the long run, it's central in Michigan, has a MAJOR university and has been far more liberal in the past, compared to Grand Rapids (being liberal is often key to this "new urbanism")

What is truely pitiful is that when it comes to Michigan governer, it's looking like Granholm will be the best choice :( Athough I do say that Lansing does have a lot of potential, probably more than GR in the long run, it's central in Michigan, has a MAJOR university and has been far more liberal in the past, compared to Grand Rapids (being liberal is often key to this "new urbanism")

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I would love to tell you guys how very wrong you are, I think this forum frowns upon one city vs. another ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Though our economy is in the toilet (thank Gov. Granholm for that),

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I resent that. I think that Granholm has done a good job and she know's what she's doing. You're forgetting that she has a tough job: Cleaning up the mess made by John Engler. Now we just need to find something to do with mr. kilpatrick over in detroit...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived