Medium-sized City Skylines

theSuburbs

Which medium-sized city in the Midwest has the best skyline?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Which medium-sized city in the Midwest has the best skyline?

• Toledo
    • South Bend
    • Grand Rapids, MI
    • Madison
    • Cedar Rapids
    • Dayton, OH
    • Lansing
    • Other

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grand Rapids has a lot of things going on right now that should make it's skyline a lot more exciting within the next 5 years. I do like Des Moine's, but I don't know... it seems like you can never get as excelent enough of a picture of the GR skyline as it looks in person. Especially at night!!

If anyone is intrested, there are some really great Grand Rapids/West Michigan pictures in thie thread.

well and I think, as biased as I may be, that should be the breaker for GR, Because a Skyline, is from a distance, and ground level, well has very little to do with the sky. When you look at the actual GR skyline, it's somewhat amiss. a little thin, But it's definately improving. No GR goes the way of Madison and Ann Arbor for now. Which is the way of cool as hell but not real impressive with height.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Toleto, seems to have good height going for it. But Architecture seems a little bland. The Suspension Bridge adds some points though. Daton seems to have more veriety.

Since I'm from Grand Rapids, I can say that one gets a grand view of our skyline from Eastbound I-196 as it enters the Grand River Valley. I know sombody commented that GR's skyline is thin. From certain views yes. But in my opinion, downtown is fairly dense for a city of GR's size. Its just that the dencity is formed mostly by mid-rise buildings. A good example of DT's density would be to travel on northbound US 131 and view the skyline just as you enter the "S-curve" (S-shape curve that crosses the Grand River for those not from GR). In fact, this view reminds me a bit of Chicago only smaller in scale.

Archived