Statewide Wi-Fi Network

CtownMikey

http://www.riedc.com/riedc/news/47/384/

article about R.I. building a state wide wireless network *1st in the country). If this project goes through.. which the article says it is feasible... imagine how many more companies may look to R.I. before other states?? Projects like these will make companies overlook our average to low average schooling and other bad qualities that will take some time to fix!

http://www.riedc.com/riedc/news/47/390/

an articel about prov. in the rankings.. good spirit booster:)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for that first article.. companies like verizon WIRELESS and IBM come to mind when thinking of who might be interested in moving here..

IBM and intel are actually involved in the statewide network.... but i'll let you read it :)

I want responses up the wazoo

http://www.masshightech.com/displayarticle...8707&cat_id=272

and this is a follow up article of the r.i. wireless article up above

It sounds like a good project. However I don't think it will produce a massive competitive advantage for Providence or RI. Other companies across the country are working towards similar goals.

"Clearwire" is a private wireless web provider. They are very new, and only available in a few test markets. But their goal is to work up to huge city-wide wireless networks.

http://www7.clearwire.com/customer/service_check.php

Click on Jacksonville, Fl. Their planned wireless coverage area alone will be something like a fourth the size of the state of RI. Their current coverage area would envelop all of Providence many times over.

Not that this statewide network won't be a great asset. Indeed, it might be a vital tool for future development. But it seems like other cities (and metros the size of RI and larger) will be closely following suit.

that clearwire site seems to be for personal home use, while rhode island will be using the network for businesses and it will act as a compliment to its innovation@scale concept.

But good to know that other projects are somewhat underway.

Hehe...Soon, the entire country will be wireless and we will pay for internet and other devices through taxes :)

-business and personal use.

that clearwire site seems to be for personal home use, while rhode island will be using the network for businesses and it will act as a compliment to its innovation@scale concept.

But good to know that other projects are somewhat underway.

Hehe...Soon, the entire country will be wireless and we will pay for internet and other devices through taxes  :)

-business and personal use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(I think Clearwire is for personal and business.)

But wow, you Rhode Islander's sure have an different take on the world that Southerners do (not that I didn't notice after living in RI for 4 years). Are you suggesting that internet service will become a nationalized industry? And that such a thing would be possitive?

A government controled internet monopoly paid through taxes seems pretty scary to me.

lol. im not saying that it is a good idea or that it could even be done.

It's just one of those ideas of where we will be in the future... like how cars were "supposed to be flying" in the year 2000.

anyways, flying cars is ridiculous.. a gov't controlled nation wide wireless internet service isn't so farfetched. No, I wouldn't want that at all.. but it would be nice to have a laptop and be online at all times.. wherever I am.

Maybe I'm crazy ^_^

It sounds like a good project. However I don't think it will produce a massive competitive advantage for Providence or RI. Other companies across the country are working towards similar goals.

"Clearwire" is a private wireless web provider. They are very new, and only available in a few test markets. But their goal is to work up to huge city-wide wireless networks.

http://www7.clearwire.com/customer/service_check.php

Click on Jacksonville, Fl. Their planned wireless coverage area alone will be something like a fourth the size of the state of RI. Their current coverage area would envelop all of Providence many times over.

Not that this statewide network won't be a great asset. Indeed, it might be a vital tool for future development. But it seems like other cities (and metros the size of RI and larger) will be closely following suit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's an amayzing statistic. And yet, Jacksonville didn't even rank on the list as anything. Exactly where is the lesson to be learned for us here in Providence? I miss your point.

there is a lesson?

companies won't want to test their product in a city-wide fashion.. like clearwire is... they'll want to test it in an entire state.. with the diversity to guarentee that their product will be successful all across the board. that is where the innovation @ scale and the statewide wireless network come together

I think the entire point of a statewide network combined with our nifty little innovation @ scale advantage was missed.

Innovation@scale (I@S) is basically Rhode Island bragging to all of the companies that want to test new products. With our 1000 square mile state, we have such a diverse culture racially, ethnically, and age-wise , we have everywhere you could want to go (except for mountains and desert)--> within a short drive, we have so many different jobs with varying wages.. which is definately needed to test new products to people.

and the big lure for business will come when we have the bragging rights to have the first statewide wireless network in addition to I@S.

the entire point of I@S is to be able to test drive your product in the cheapest way possible if i'm not mistaken.. and being only 1000 sq. miles with all of these wonderful things within that space is what will bring business here.. esp. after the network.

so, jacksonville, guam, and even mars can do the same as us... BUT nobody will have our size (with low costs, diversity in race/jobs/age, all in that small space..etc).. i guess that is the point.

Cotuit.. I'm pretty sure you've checked out riedc.com and have read up on I@S.. and I'm usually not always 100% correct :) so feel free to correct me ;)

Rhode Island is actually a rather popular test market. We have a lot of diversity in a very confined space, making it easy to get good statistics on marketing efforts.

I don't really know how I feel about a public wireless network, the security issues worry me for some reason, but it's not really any less secure than having a wireless network in your house I guess. I think it's a great thing for making sure that everyone has access to the web, which is becoming more and more critical in our information age. It will be interesting for things like Vonage's wi-fi phones, it would be great if I could carry one phone with me all over the state from my living room to the beach and be on the same network.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.riedc.com/riedc/news/47/384/

article about R.I. building a state wide wireless network *1st in the country). If this project goes through.. which the article says it is feasible... imagine how many more companies may look to R.I. before other states?? Projects like these will make companies overlook our average to low average schooling and other bad qualities that will take some time to fix!

http://www.riedc.com/riedc/news/47/390/

an articel about prov. in the rankings.. good spirit booster:)

For wireless ISP, you'll want to bookmark this link:

http://wimaxxed.com/

R.I. won't have to build it. Sprint/Nextel is partnering with Motorola to build this. It essentially involves installing Motorola wireless routers on existing Sprint/Nextel cell phone towers (Sprint owns the 2.5GHz frequency). IBM, AOL, and others are jumping on this too. Everyone will know about WiMax soon once this gets up and running in about 2 years.

IBM expands role in RI wireless network

IBM said this morning it will expand its role and become project manager of Rhode Island's plan to become the first state in the country with border-to-border broadband wireless coverage.

Frankie, do you have a link for this news?

Thanks!

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived