Statewide Wi-Fi Network

CtownMikey

PS: Remind me again... This is a governmental and business network, not a consumer one, correct?

For now I believe it is government only, but the plan is to roll it out to the public. An interesting effect of state-wide wi-fi could be the ability to use wi-fi enabled broadband phone service statewide. Vonage is working on (or has) a portable wi-fi phone that you can currently operate in Hot Spots.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For now I believe it is government only

Exactly right - government only in the trial period. Most people don't understand how incredible it is to wireless the whole state and the advantage that gives us.

For example, as part of the trial period, the Newport Harbormaster is able to enter the registration of a boat he pulls over into a wirelessed computer on his boat in the harbor and it can immediately tell him everything about that registration. How cool is that?

BTW, Cotuit... I love your avatar. You've seen the windmill at Portsmouth Abbey, I'm guessing?

No not yet. I haven't made it out to the island yet this summer.

I'm not sure if this is what Mapman was talking about, but there's one of those which is clearly visible at the end of Route 24 on the way to Newport.

RI-WINs Plays Starring Role in Newport Folk Festival [Business Innovation Factory/RIEDC

RI-WINs, the statewide wi-fi network, enabled MVYRadio to easily broadcast the Dunkin Donuts Newport Folk Festival live to audiences in Newport, the Cape & Islands, and around the world on MVYRadio.com. RI-WINs shows its potential as a competitive advantage for commerce.

• 5 months later...
For now I believe it is government only, but the plan is to roll it out to the public. An interesting effect of state-wide wi-fi could be the ability to use wi-fi enabled broadband phone service statewide. Vonage is working on (or has) a portable wi-fi phone that you can currently operate in Hot Spots.

I don't think so, the iPhone is also supposed to be able to work off wifi. The question is if you need to login to the network if the phones will be able to do it. If it's an open network (like 3 of my neighbors), then the phones should be able to catch it.

As far as I know, the network for emergency services should be rolling out this summer.

I noticed that too, but I'm not convinced they won't do it. I think it still warrants a phone call to Verizon. The site just may not list that option in effort to discourage people from getting one service and not the other.

I already have lines to my house since the previous owner had a land line. So, in theory, I'm ready for DSL... However, any savings may only come if you combine services. Again, I don't know, but it may be worth a phone call.

i think it's the same issue that the cable companies have. if they provide naked DSL, i believe they're also giving you a basic landline phone service free of charge. it's like how if you have only cable internet, but not cable, you can still get the basic channels (it's like 13 channels) if you hook up a tv.

most providers are unwilling to do that, and i think it's actually gone to court, but i don't recall what the ruling was if it did.

Speaking of, I get 'naked' cable internet from Cox. For a good year, I had extended basic coming down the wire too, even though I hadn't ordered it. It was nice while it lasted. Finally they turned it off (installed the appropriate filter on the pole), and now I don't even get the basic 13. So, FYI, Cox can do single service.

hmmm, cox must be more technologically inclined than other cable companies. you used to be able to always get the basic 13. they must've figured out a way to filter that out. i wonder if that comes at any cost to speed.

Archived