Statewide Wi-Fi Network

CtownMikey

• 2 months later...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

A study as part of the SpeedMatters project, an effort by Communication Workers of America to support universal, high-speed internet access, found that Rhode Island had the fastest median upload and download internet connectivity in USA (1.739 mbps and 5.011 mbps respectively). The national figures were 0.371 mbps for upload and and 1.973 mbps for download. Of course, we have a ways to go before we overtake Japan with a median download speed of 61 mbps. Below is a link to the study.

http://www.speedmatters.org/document-libra...s/sm_report.pdf

Hopefully this can be a useful incentive for businesses to locate here and take advantage of it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Since the implementation of RI-WINs is stalled for now, perhaps we might eventually take advantage of this satellite-based, super-high speed internet system that Japan is developing: Super-speed internet satellite blasts off in Japan

The system would have transfer rates of up to 1.2 gigabytes per second! By comparison, FiOS (which still doesn't have service on Federal Hill!) has a maximum download/upload rate of 15 Mbps.

Since the implementation of RI-WINs is stalled for now, perhaps we might eventually take advantage of this satellite-based, super-high speed internet system that Japan is developing: Super-speed internet satellite blasts off in Japan

The system would have transfer rates of up to 1.2 gigabytes per second! By comparison, FiOS (which still doesn't have service on Federal Hill!) has a maximum download/upload rate of 15 Mbps.

yes, verizon was just trying to woo people away from cox. while i understand the benefits of having fios, it just isn't worth it for me to switch (especially with cox adjusting their pricing to be more competitive and offering deals to their customers). the basic fios service is something like 6 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. That's the same as the cox package that's offered at the same price. i'm sticking with cox until one of them really tries to get more competitive (though fios isn't even offered in the city yet (as far as i know, at least not my neighborhood).

Some of this is reflective of the discussions yesterday at Harvard re: FCC/Net Neutrality and 'the final mile.' Excellent live blogging by Dave Weinberger of Cluetrain fame.

In that testimony, as it were, there was a lot of insistence from Comcast that "we sell up to certain speeds. There's no guarantee that you'll actually get that speed."

Which is so totally the fact because I rarely upload over 200 kps via FTP and sometimes it's under 100 kps. I'm here at the Grant and we share some honkin' Cox connection.

Up to...? More like yours...

Anybody hear about the Plan B in SF? Deploying lots of tiny roof-top repeaters or some such instead of the giant eye-in-the-sky...? Could that somehow work across rural spaces?

At this point, I'd go just about anywhere to escape Cox.. They are a cocky monopoly.. I have the fast serivce, dl/20? ul/5? and its great when it works, but its running full pipe maybe 2/3rds of the time.. I remote home from work, and the damn thing I SWEAR, they shut it down during the day.. I know nothing about this technically speaking, but during weekdays, its up and running like 15% of the time..

I'd pay more for less speed, Hurry up verizon.. We need FIOS in the ghetto too.. And we can all afford it too somehow. You can tell by the abundance of DirecTV and DISH Network in the hood.

• 2 weeks later...

RI Nexus website has a story about the Prov emergency response wi-fi network. On the topic of public uses, he punts, saying it needs a regional not municipal footprint. True dat.

RI Nexus website has a story about the Prov emergency response wi-fi network. On the topic of public uses, he punts, saying it needs a regional not municipal footprint. True dat.

• 8 months later...

Archived