New Annexation up Two Notch?

Hybrid0NE

I've been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks now but...

A couple months ago I noticed that Forest Acres put up a sign announcing it's city limits on Decker Blvd opposite the railroad tracks at the Two Notch intersection and then more recently a sign welcoming you to Columbia went up right at the intersection (on the wrong side of road, considering it's meant for drivers that are southbound) as if to halt Forest Acres from jumping the Notch and claiming Columbia Place. Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone here knew if the city limits were extended or is Columbia just trying to mark it's territory? (I'm searching for annexation news/maps as I'm posting this, too)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decker is more in the Forest Acres/ Arcadia Lakes vicinity anyway, isnt it? It may be more likely to be annexed by those municipalities.

Columbia will have to deal with these communities for a long time. I wouldnt count on them going away :)

Decker is more in the Forest Acres/ Arcadia Lakes vicinity anyway, isnt it? It may be more likely to be annexed by those municipalities.

Columbia will have to deal with these communities for a long time. I wouldnt count on them going away :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Columbia needs to annex around Forest Acres so they can't keep messing up everything. That is the only way I can think of to stop their spread.

Also, Columbia better get out to Clemson Road and annex all that development out there like they did Harbison otherwise it will all end up as Blythewood.

Columbia needs to annex around Forest Acres so they can't keep messing up everything.  That is the only way I can think of to stop their spread.

Also, Columbia better get out to Clemson Road and annex all that development out there like they did Harbison otherwise it will all end up as Blythewood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That could happen too. I know people in Blythewood who despise the idea of being a part of the City of Columbia.

Columbia needs to annex around Forest Acres so they can't keep messing up everything.  That is the only way I can think of to stop their spread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that F.A. city limits do touch Two Notch, but south of the Mall. They touch Decker in more than one place as I remember.

As far as the Northeast. they now have several choices to avoid annexation by Cola. They can annex to F. A. or Blythewood. The Local Option Sales Tax will make the costs very minimal. Or they can form there own town/city. It only takes 7,000 people now, thanks to the morons in the legislature. Remember once North Charleston incorporated (with about the populaton of Florence), it was only about 10 years before it nearly matched Charleston in population.

I believe that F.A. city limits do touch Two Notch, but south of the Mall.  They touch Decker in more than one place as I remember.

As far as the Northeast. they now have several choices to avoid annexation by Cola.  They can annex to F. A. or Blythewood.  The Local Option Sales Tax will make the costs very minimal.  Or they can form there own town/city.  It only takes 7,000 people now, thanks to the morons in the legislature.  Remember once North Charleston incorporated (with about the populaton of Florence), it was only about 10 years before it nearly matched Charleston in population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Technically it does touch Two Notch, because Two Notch begins at the Taylor/Forest & Two Notch/Millwood intersection. But I think we can all agree that the area in discussion is the area past Columbia Place Mall.

I agree with vic and Krazeeboi- if Columbia starts to annex, a new town/city could be formed in the Northeast.

I believe that F.A. city limits do touch Two Notch, but south of the Mall.  They touch Decker in more than one place as I remember.

As far as the Northeast. they now have several choices to avoid annexation by Cola.  They can annex to F. A. or Blythewood.  The Local Option Sales Tax will make the costs very minimal.  Or they can form there own town/city.  It only takes 7,000 people now, thanks to the morons in the legislature.  Remember once North Charleston incorporated (with about the populaton of Florence), it was only about 10 years before it nearly matched Charleston in population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That whole North east thing gets really complicated. Those people have signed the water contract agreeing to join Columbia if and when the city limits are adjacent to them. That could easily be done like Columbia did Harbison. Also, you cannot incorporate a new city within 5 miles of an existing city; and I do believe all that Clemson Road development is within 5 miles of the city limit. Fort Jackson is a part of Columbia.

About F A 'jumping' over Columbia if Columbia surrounded them...... It is my understanding that is SC all parts of the city must be contingent to each other therefore there cannot be another city separating two portions of the first. If that were not the case, what would prevent Columbia from just going out to Clemson Road and annexing all of it without being adjacent?

That whole North east thing gets really complicated.  Those people have signed the water contract agreeing to join Columbia if and when the city limits are adjacent to them.  That could easily be done like Columbia did Harbison.  Also, you cannot incorporate a new city within 5 miles of an existing city; and I do believe all that Clemson Road development is within 5 miles of the city limit.    Fort Jackson is a part of Columbia.

About F A 'jumping' over Columbia if Columbia surrounded them...... It is my understanding that is SC all parts of the city must be contingent to each other therefore there cannot be another city separating two portions of the first.  If that were not the case, what would prevent Columbia from just going out to Clemson Road and annexing all of it without being adjacent?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, Columbia has only enforced those water contracts on COMMERCIAL areas. It has not done so with residential because it is too politically unpopular and the added tax money would not offset the additional costs. Commercial property is high-valued and pays a higher tax rate, plus the city collects a business license fee. That makes commercial areas profitable to annex. Residential areas are seldom profitable to annex.

If a new city were formed, it would in effect invalidate those agreements anyway. The way the agreements are worded, they require annexation only IF and WHEN the subject property adjoins the city limits. If it is in a new city, the Columbia city limits would not and could not ever be adjoining.

A new city CAN be incorporated within 5 miles of an existing city, if it would have 7,000 or more population. The law previously stated 15,000, but this was just changed by the legislature. Also, as part of the same legislation, cities can now "jump across" another city's limits across marshland or bodies of water. There was also legislation passed a couple years back that allowed Cayce to annex land on the other side of the Cola Metro airport, without annexing the airport itself, which would have been necessary for the contigiuous clause to be met.

Now with the Local Option Sales Tax and the new incorporation law in effect, it is easier and more advantageous than ever for a new city to form in Richland County. The East Richland Sewer District PSD could follow the example of the Taylors PSD (Greenville Co.) and seek to incorporate. If it did so, it would be entitled to hundreds of thousands of sales tax money, which could lower the property taxes their residents pay.

There was also legislation passed a couple years back that allowed Cayce to annex land on the other side of the Cola Metro airport, without annexing the airport itself, which would have been necessary for the contigiuous clause to be met. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is interesting. I have often wondered how that one worked out :)

First, Columbia has only enforced those water contracts on COMMERCIAL areas.  It has not done so with residential because it is too politically unpopular and the added tax money would not offset the additional costs.  Commercial property is high-valued and pays a higher tax rate, plus the city collects a business license fee.  That makes commercial areas profitable to annex.  Residential areas are seldom profitable to annex. 

If a new city were formed, it would in effect invalidate those agreements anyway.  The way the agreements are worded, they require annexation only IF and WHEN the subject property adjoins the city limits.  If it is in a new city, the Columbia city limits would not and could not ever be adjoining.

A new city CAN be incorporated within 5 miles of an existing city, if it would have 7,000 or more population.  The law previously stated 15,000, but this was just changed by the legislature.  Also, as part of the same legislation, cities can now "jump across"  another city's limits across marshland or bodies of water.  There was also legislation passed a couple years back that allowed Cayce to annex land on the other side of the Cola Metro airport, without annexing the airport itself, which would have been necessary for the contigiuous clause to be met. 

Now with the Local Option Sales Tax and the new incorporation law in effect, it is  easier and more advantageous than ever for a new city to form in Richland County.  The East Richland Sewer District PSD could follow the example of the Taylors PSD (Greenville Co.) and seek to incorporate.  If it did so, it would be entitled to hundreds of thousands of sales tax money, which could lower the property taxes their residents pay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Assuming that every thing you have said is absolute fact, Is there any reason Columbia couldn't just go out to Sandhills and annex whatever they wanted to, including the baseball park Khan is talking about building? Then they could jump over to the corner of Hard Scrabble Road and Clemson Road and take just the commercial development?

I find it hard to fathom how such shallow and short sighted people manage to be elected to office in this state!

I agree with waccamatt, "I would still like to see Columbia annex all of the unincorporated parts of Richland County."

Assuming that every thing you have said is absolute fact, Is there any reason Columbia couldn't just go out to Sandhills and annex whatever they wanted to, including the baseball park Khan is talking about building?  Then they could jump over to the corner of Hard Scrabble Road and Clemson Road and take just the commercial development?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be difficult without taking in residential areas, which would be controversial and unpopular. For those around and old enough to remember, the annexation of Harbison by Columbia (using the same method you describe) was very controversial. Irmo and Lexington County still complain about it 15 years after the fact.

Also, attempting to do so might incite residents in the NE to seek incorporation. If the area could be easily annexed, the city probably would have already discussed it with the developer and made it a condition for getting water and sewer service.

It would be difficult without taking in residential areas, which would be controversial and unpopular.  For those around and old enough to remember, the annexation of Harbison by Columbia (using the same method you describe) was very controversial.  Irmo and Lexington County still complain about it 15 years after the fact.

Also, attempting to do so might incite residents in the NE to seek incorporation.  If the area could be easily annexed, the city probably would have already discussed it with the developer and made it a condition for getting water and sewer service.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its unpopular because the complaining people don't want to actually have to pay for the amenities they enjoy by living close to the city of Columbia. They enjoy the economic benefits and the recreational benefits of being near the city and don't contribute a dime to pay for any of it.

Archived