New Annexation up Two Notch?

Hybrid0NE

I agree with vic and Krazeeboi- if Columbia starts to annex, a new town/city could be formed in the Northeast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think so too; I could see an Atlanta/Sandy Springs (which just got 94% approval to incorporate) issue brewing with Columbia/Spring Valley-Sandhills (Coincidence that the unincorporated parties use variations of Sand and Spring for names?) but the area will probably remain unincorporated as Forest Acres and Blythewood chip away at it to avoid unfavored tax increase a large city brings. I just don't want Columbia to end up being a metro that has it's hands tied because of too many "little" governments to compete with/satisfy.

P.S. Spartan how far up the railroad does that blue strip indicating Forest Acres extend? Depending on how far it goes FA could border Village at Sandhill development without much effort. Looks like they've already surrounded the town of Arcadia Lakes enough to cut-off any potential growth with it's sort of fragmented limits.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a quick map to show how far FA extends. I put two stars on there, one for Richland and Columbia Mall. I trust you guys to figure out which is which ;)

ForestAcres.jpg

Green=Forest Acres

Purple=Arcadia Lakes

Orange=Cola (I am aware at the blasphemy of my color choise :blush: )

Where do you get these maps from Spartan?

BTW, thanks for posting it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem. I make them witih a GIS.

So Columbia Mall (or Columbia Place, or whatever it's called these days) is in unincorporated Richland County?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. Its called Columbia Place- I just messed up :)

Here is a quick map to show how far FA extends. I put two stars on there, one for Richland and Columbia Mall. I trust you guys to figure out which is which ;)

ForestAcres.jpg

Green=Forest Acres

Purple=Arcadia Lakes

Orange=Cola (I am aware at the blasphemy of my color choise  :blush:  )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forest Acres is a sneaky little ****, I was expecting that strip to go no further than I-20 but it actually reaches I-77. I guess one could say they are paralleling the Trenholm Road extention but there my be some interesting city limit changes in the future.

sono... I'm sure that sign is new, I've been taking that route regularly and I only noticed it semi-recently (it can't be more than a month-and-a-half old); but unless I am stopped at the traffic light, I am using traveling at no less than 40mph. :(

How often are city limit maps updated? I gonna take a guess and say whenever a Census is done, which is far too long... if I am right.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cities update their GIS maps probably once a month with all of the annexations. There are more one parcel annexations going on than you realize. Paper maps are probably less frequent. But as for something that is freely available to the public, the Census is it. In theory I should be able to call up the City of Columbia and ask them for their city limits file, but they would likely charge me for it- depending on my intent of course. They charge money to developers for access to this data.

I am sure that every city does it differently though.

Archived