Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joeDowntown

A retail thought

The Wy-man couldn't use his super powers from stopping Rogers from closing. Daniel Hurwitz mentioned that he would be opening several boutique stores in its place. Do you think that downtown could be one of the places? This would be a great step for downtown retail, especially with some of the other boutique stores that have opened recently on Monroe Center.

Just a thought, but I would like to see Daniel's Jr. on Monroe Center.

Joe

Funny, that's exactly what I thought when he said he was opening smaller stores. It would be a great addition from established local business people and fit downtown well.

Where's GR-man to save the day? Just kidding.

After establishing "basic needs" retailers like the new market opening on Monroe Center, Daniels is exactly the type of retailer needed downtown. The more hardgoods retailers, the better.

While they are at it, how about going after a Hush Puppy shoe store, Leigh's women's apparel, Schuelers bookstore & American Spoon Foods specialty food market. All of these would be destination retail to draw people downtown, and the best part is that they are all locally owned.

C'mon, Grand Rapids, time to put the talent that you have to work and really start marketing downtown to become what it can truly be, world class.

After establishing "basic needs" retailers like the new market opening on Monroe Center, Daniels is exactly the type of retailer needed downtown.  The more hardgoods retailers, the better.

While they are at it, how about going after a Hush Puppy shoe store, Leigh's women's apparel, Schuelers bookstore & American Spoon Foods specialty food market.  All of these would be destination retail to draw people downtown, and the best part is that they are all locally owned.

C'mon, Grand Rapids, time to put the talent that you have to work and really start marketing downtown to become what it can truly be, world class.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Merrill Shoe Store Outlet (I own 2 pair :) ), especially now that they are doing the joint venture with Patagonia Sportswear. Gazelle Sports is local and has a spot in downtown Kzoo. C'mon down!.

I was very susprised, when Daniels was first announced, that they were putting it on E. Paris instead of in the DT area. For the upscale atmosphere they were going for, the strip mall in the middle of an office park they ended up with just seemed to miss their goal by a mile.

I'm crossing my fingers for them to make a move into the city!

I was very susprised, when Daniels was first announced, that they were putting it on E. Paris instead of in the DT area. For the upscale atmosphere they were going for, the strip mall in the middle of an office park they ended up with just seemed to miss their goal by a mile.

I'm crossing my fingers for them to make a move into the city!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh that does seem out of place, and lots of times empty.

I'm hoping they are smart and move DT as well.

It makes some sense on East Paris from a buisiness perspective, seeing, as there is alot of high end retail there now. I don't think the Downtown market is very affluent as of yet.

The demographics of being smack in the middle between Ada, Cascade and East Grand Rapids are probably the best you can get for an upscale clothing store. I also heard Daniel's is doing very well. They just need to put a boutique store downtown. Even if they focus on one category (men's, women's, designer fashions).

I agree with the locally owned businesses to. I think Meijer should end the debate of a downtown pharmacy and put a standalone pharmacy downtown. It would a philanthropic act, and might just be highly successful.

Joe

Heh that does seem out of place, and lots of times empty.

I'm hoping they are smart and move DT as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about turning Jefferson South of Fulton into a Grand Rapids "Chinatown"

pic01.jpg

A few architectural changes and it could be done. The old Grand Rapids Public Museum could be a Chinese or Asian Heritage Center. The Chinese and Asian populations are the second fastest growing segments in the GR area, after hispanics.

pic01.jpg

A few architectural changes and it could be done.  The old Grand Rapids Public Museum could be a Chinese or Asian Heritage Center.  The Chinese and Asian populations are the second fastest growing segments in the GR area, after hispanics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but is it a real chinatown? sometimes those areas tend to make themselves.Id hate to have a designated chinatown that seems to be inorganic, and preplanned.

A few architectural changes and it could be done. The old Grand Rapids Public Museum could be a Chinese or Asian Heritage Center. The Chinese and Asian populations are the second fastest growing segments in the GR area, after hispanics.

Wouldn't South Division between 28th St and 44th St get that designation? It seems that there is a large concentration of oriental restaurants, markets & shops in that area.

Yes, but is it a real chinatown? sometimes those areas tend to make themselves.Id hate to have a designated chinatown that seems to be inorganic, and preplanned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think if a group of Chinese businesspeople in the area were brought together and started the Heritage Center, it might grow from there. I agree that you can't just decree an area "Chinatown" and it would work. Look at Grandville Avenue with its Hispanic Center and hispanic businesses in that area. There are still some places that need some work.

I think the businesses on Division from 28th to 44th are mostly Vietnamese and Cambodian if I am not mistaken (could be wrong). Kentwood and parts of Wyoming have HUGE populations of Asians.

Just throwing ideas out there :P

BTW: I don't want to stereotype, but I love working with Chinese people in the homes business. They always pay cash, and are just great to work with.

I had a Chinese gentleman buy two homes from me with cash, who had owned a giant factory in a small town near Hong Kong that employed over 1000 people (made plastic swimming eye goggles), with onsite housing in a "compound" and everything. He showed me pictures of the place. Wild stuff! From what I could gather from him, (his English was so-so) he was a Christian man, though, and did not feel comfortable staying there. Sold the plant and moved his entire family (his family, his brother, their family) to GR.

Sorry, way off topic. Back to retail ideas.

I think the businesses on Division from 28th to 44th are mostly Vietnamese and Cambodian if I am not mistaken (could be wrong). Kentwood and parts of Wyoming have HUGE populations of Asians.

Well, call it Asiatown then. Same idea. Pretty much already is.