• Red Lobster
    • Smoky Bones
    • Cracker Barrel
    • Chili's
    • Applebee's
    • Ruby Tuesday
    • Bennigan's
    • Hooter's

1) I believe these are probably some of the most common restaurants in J-ville (via wait staff) and are probably the most popular overall in the city. If I forgot to list others you think are popular in the city, please list it.

2) I myself like Ruby Tuesdays out of the whole group.

3) I've noticed that we don't have a Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe restaurants here in Jax, does anyone know exactly what it takes to have one of those? I've never eaten at one before so I don't know what's really special about them? Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) I believe these are probably some of the most common restaurants in J-ville (via wait staff) and are probably the most popular overall in the city. If I forgot to list others you think are popular in the city, please list it.

2) I myself like Ruby Tuesdays out of the whole group.

3) I've noticed that we don't have a Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe restaurants here in Jax, does anyone know exactly what it takes to have one of those? I've never eaten at one before so I don't know what's really special about them? Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't want a Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood. PH is closing some of it's restaurants and HR is nothing special. You're not missing anything! You left Roy's, Bone Fish Grill and Copeland's off of your list. Roy's is absolutely delightful. You listed a couple of chain restaurants, but some of the best restaurants in Jax are the indies. BB's in San Marco is good.

What about Bistro Aix, Biscotti's, Pom's Thai Bistro, BB's, The Corner Brasserie, La Cena - Most of which are independents. There is also the Ale House which is a chain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's not forget about the indies at the beaches and down in St Augustine.

Don't forget Cafe Carmon, Crush, and Brick... I myself prefer the indies as well. The chains all have the same, pre-cooked taste.

Out of the places mentioned though, I suppose Cheesecake Factory.. even though the hype leaves it overrated. PF Changs would be a close second.

Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock are tourist restaraunts.  After the locals go there once, they rarely go back.

I chose Red Lobster from the list simply because I am a slave to Lobster tail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. The locals in Myrtle Beach often laugh at the tourists standing in line in the hot sun to eat a $12 hamburger.

as a native to the J-ville, i have to go with the grandfather of the Indies!!:

Beach Road Chicken Dinner!

on Atlantic Blvd... not Beach Blvd. for all you new people, this is one those down home comfort food places>>> fried chicken, gravy, biscuits, cole slaw, fries>> everything that will give you a clogged artery but will satisfy soul! a religious experience, maybe>>> Icon of J-ville history, definitely>>> here since the 40's.

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want a Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe in their city. Orlando has both and both have horrible food, lousy service, and overpriced "dog food". One of the last posters was right, once the locals go, they never go back. Too bad you folks don't have a Dixie Crossroads, indie seafood place in Titusville. They have the best Florida-caught seafood in the whole state!!!!

Beach Road Chicken Dinners is always a good place to go. I used to like The Homestead at the beach as far as comfort food goes, a little bit better than BRCD. Now that The Homestead has gone all wine cellar, its not nearly as good.

I chose Cheescake Factory on that list - only from a service standpoint. I dine with a tough group (2 adults, a 4 year old and a 1 1/2 year old) so when we get good service we remember it. The guy we had there last time was phenominal. We got everything exactly when it was needed.

Of these choices, I choose Maggiano's. I love the old school styling inside, although the food isnt the best Italian in town. I like PF Changs too. And how about Ruth's Chris or Mortons. As for the Cheesecake Factory, I havent been able to get into the damn place since it opened b/c of the lines. Still, I am with the others who like the local places. I am not a huge fan of most cookie cutter restaurants.

Sigh... I come from the Home of BBQ, and sadly, I do not think any of the places here quite add up. They are good, but nothing compared to what you will find in SC. (though of them Crosscreek is my favorite)

Seriously... If you ever by chance get up to Florence SC, two amazing BBQ plaecs you should try... 1) Schoolhouse BBQ. 2) Rogers BBQ.

Both are nonchain resteraunts...

Anyway.... MMMMMM BBQ

If you want good BBQ, you'll have to go to the whole in the wall joints, like Cottens, Jenkins and Jim Browns.  Chains like Bono's and Sonny's can't compare.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! Lake, I think that you meant Jerome Browns. Sonny's and Bono's are okay, but they can't compare to the other three you mentioned.

Maybe it's just me, but I had a bad experience at the Beach Road Chicken Dinners. It just wasn't good. Although, almost everyone deserves a second chance, lol.

I voted for Cheesecake Factory, mostly for its atmosphere. The food is good, but it's not like I'm enlightened in the culinary arts when I eat there. I just like how it looks inside!

Yeah, I meant Jerome Browns. Keep in mind, these are hole-in-the-wall joints. Don't go there expecting their facilities to be as flashy as your typical chain outlet.

Cottens BBQ

- 2623 N. Main St. (Main Street, near MLK Parkway)

- 2048 Rogero Rd.

Jenkins Quality BBQ

- 2025 Emerson St. (Southside)

- 1791 Kings Rd. (near Edward Waters)

- 5945 New Kings Rd. (Northside)

- 830 Pearl St. (Downtown)

Jerome Browns BBQ & Wings

- 1551 W. Edgewood Avenue (Northside)

Archived