Other Projects Going on in Arkansas

Mith242

Arkansas in general has a lot of truck traffic which beats up its roads pretty bad.

Was work on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis ever finished?  That thing needs to be six-laned instead of four.

Also, does anyone know when the state will get around to repaving I-55?  You know it's bad when 90% of the traffic gets in the left lane to save their suspension systems.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL. As far as I know most of West Memphis has been repaved. I remember going through it and it reminded me of a quilt with all of its patches. I haven't been up on I-55 for a few years, so it may or may not be better....but for some reason i don't remember it being particularly bad when i went through...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arkansas in general has a lot of truck traffic which beats up its roads pretty bad.

Was work on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis ever finished?  That thing needs to be six-laned instead of four.

Also, does anyone know when the state will get around to repaving I-55?  You know it's bad when 90% of the traffic gets in the left lane to save their suspension systems.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well for a while that pretty much applied to every interstate in Arkansas except maybe I-540 because it's relatively new. I know they finished all the work on I-40 between Ft Smith to Conway. Except for some work that's not really related to I-40. I don't know about the Little Rock to Memphis section. Although I am almost positive it won't be 6 lanes. If they didn't do 6 lanes between Conway and Little Rock I don't see them doing it over there. I think I-30 and I-55 were a little further down on the lists, I don't really travel on them so I'm not sure what they've done of those two.

I was on I-55 last month and it was the same as it was 5 years ago--actually it was terrible, another five years of truck pounding.

I wasn't serious about I-40 being six-laned. It's just that anytime I drive from Memphis to Forrest City which is only once a year--it's virtually bumper to bumper trucks whizzing by which I assume carries over into Little Rock.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

From today's Dem Gaz:

LITTLE ROCK — Dear Mahatma: Is the section of Interstate 40 between Hazen and the Cache River anywhere close to the top of the repair list?

The highway under the overpass at Biscoe looks like it’s been through an earthquake. - Good Old Lew.

Dear Lew: Good news from the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department. The section of I-40 from Hazen east to the Cache River is scheduled to be rebuilt. A contract is to be let in July, with work to begin before the end of summer. The project is about 11 miles long.

BLYTHEVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department officials say additional work is planned on Interstate 55 in Blytheville.

AHTD officials said in a news release that a project to reconstruct 5.2 miles of I-55 from just south of Highway 61 to just north of Highway 18 will be extended 0.34 miles on the southern end of the job.

Delta Asphalt of Arkansas was awarded a $22.1 million contract for the project. Officials say an additional $1.1 million is being added to pay for the extra work.

The agency says the project should be done by September 2012.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/article/161777/2/Arkansas-highway-officials-to-extend-I-55-project-

Archived