Putt-Putt's DEMISE!

mediamongrel

Anyone know what happened to the Putt-Putt franchises lately? A couple of threads on this message board says that two of them in Greensboro and Winston closed down. Also, if anyone remembers, there was one in Rock Hill, SC off of exit 82A where a McDonald's is located now. It closed all of a sudden. A second i remember was on Albemarle Road in Charlotte up until about 2000. The third (and most recent) to close was located on HWY 74 in the foothills out past Shelby. Anyone remember this one? It was open I think until last November or something. Did the whole chain fold?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of weeks ago, Putt-Putt announced that they will be opening new, bigger courses around the country. The new Putt-Putt will be revamped with golf, larger arcades, go-carts, laser tag and some other attractions...i forget. Sounds like another Celebration Station. The company did say that one will open either in Greensboro or Winston-Salem in the near future.

A couple of weeks ago, Putt-Putt announced that they will be opening new, bigger courses around the country.  The new Putt-Putt will be revamped with golf, larger arcades, go-carts, laser tag and some other attractions...i forget.  Sounds like another Celebration Station. The company did say that one will open either in Greensboro or Winston-Salem in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously these new Putt-Putts will be in higher income areas rather than the "lower income areas" where the ones that shut down were. (Or are now)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah i was gonna say, these new stores will none the less open in the burbs.. the nicer areas

There used to be Putt-Putt courses all over the place in Columbia, but there is only one that I know of now, although it is a big one. I think probably playstation, etc. took alot of their business. In Columbia, the large Frankie's Funpark also took alot of their business.

i used to do the super saturday special at the putt putt in burlington when i was in middle school. it was like $5.00 and you had unlimited credits in the arcades and a drink and maybe a candy bar. you would just raise your hand at the machine you were playing and a person would come around with a cup full of tokens and plop several credits into your machine. ahh, the good old days.

yeah the one at Queens Landing is not owned by Putt-Putt, they just call it putt-putt as in miniature golf,

Funny how they don't have locations in either Fayetteville or Chapel hill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it is a franchise instead of directly owned by Putt-Putt. The golf course is definitely there as it is beside one of the boat landings I use so I seen it many times. It was recently updated with new stuff too. I need to do a photo spread of Queen's landing as it is a pretty nice little amusement area, restaurant, floating bar, boat and PWC rentals, cafeteria and store location in the mid Lake area. And there are the dinner tours on the Catawba Queen and her sister boat.

Their sister location, Big Daddy's, is located just down the road.

And believe it or not, there is another Putt-Putt (like) golf course located down the road near Sherrils Ford near Campground Rd.

^ W-S is up to about 195,000 now

There is another KK in Old Salem and i think a 3rd 1s supposed to open downtown sometime in the future.

Is Putt Putt coming to Silas Creek? There is a "Coming Soon" sign that says "Mini golf, go-carts,arcade" near the Forsyth Tech campus.

Dunkin Doughnuts has this new concept now where they are building stores that include a Baskin Robins. I have seen several of these and stopped at one in Myrtle Beach for some decent coffee (which they also have). There is currently one under construction in Huntersville.

^yeah those concept stores are cool... i've been to the one in South End, its nice

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greensboro used to have two freestanding Dunkin' Donuts stores: one on Battleground that's being converted to something else right now (it went independent and then was beirfly a Frank 'N" Stein) and one on High Point Road (beside the old McDonald's) that got really seedy and was demolished a couple years ago. there was also briefly one inside Four Seasons on the third level near Belk that lasted for about 2.5 seconds.

Our decrepit old Dunkin' location in Roanoke was completely renovated and turned into a concept store ith a Baskin-Robbins. It's pretty sweet.

Ah yes, the "Frank N Stein" building, I fear it's going to turn into one of those buildings that can't hold a renter. The former "Doobies" building is the same way, It doesn't seem to be able to hold a restaurant for more than a few months. It's actually rather strange seeing as it's on one of the most heavily traveled roads in Greensboro.

Dunkin Doughnuts has this new concept now where they are building stores that include a Baskin Robins.  I have seen several of these and stopped at one in Myrtle Beach for some decent coffee (which they also have).  There is currently one under construction in Huntersville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a large number of them in the Atlanta metro - also includes a sandwich shop (name escapes me).

But as for Putt Putt - I miss them, we had one in Rock Hill on Celenase near I 77. Good times, good times....

Archived