How does the outside view Greenville?

I've heard about some of the other cities that notice the planning and growth of Greenville. When I lived in NY, I never heard of Greenville until I started to travel here in 1998.

Things have changed so much since then. Are other people throughout the country, not just other municipalities taking notice now?

Hey we've made the cities list at the bottom of the DirecTV version of the Weather Channel. Although we are one of the only cities they have to add the state abbreviation to. :D

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, when I go to Orlando or Colorado Springs to visit "my office," I still encounter people that ask, "So how's life in North Carolina treating you?" :angry:

So, while we're making an implact on some people, others are oblivious to us.

Fortunately, it appears that the ones we're making the impact on are the ones that matter most :P

Big name performers don't come to nameless places. I know that some cities look to Greenville as a model for redeveloping the city's center. I, personally, think that we will see the day when Greenville is mentioned and people outside of the state will say "oh- i hear its nice there" etc, rather than "where is that again?"

RT- I hope you kindly remind them that its South Carolina :)

I think that Greenville will always have the "SC" designation when being referred to outside of the state, no matter how big it gets, simply because there are so many other Greenvilles in other states. Even Columbus, OH, as big as it is (population somewhere around 800,000) will still have the "OH" designation, at least partly due to the existence of Columbus, GA, which is nowhere as big as its Ohio namesake.

But the recognition will slowly, but surely, start to increase. Look out for it.

I was also wondering at what point (if ever) would the SC be able to be dropped and we become a "one word" city. I think you may be right krazeeboi, there are many Greenvilles in the US. Kinda like Springfield. If you are a Simpson's fan you know what I mean. :D

Some very small or non-descript cities do not need to be qualified by the state abbreviation. They may be defined by sports events (Augusta), sports teams (Oakland), not-so-nice events (Waco), unique names (Albuquerque), affluence (Beverly Hills), weather (Buffalo) yadda yadda yadda. :rolleyes:

A quick Mapblast search yields Greenvilles in AL, MS, IL, NC, TX, ME, WI, OH, TN, NH, NY, RI, PA, UT, IN, MO, FL, GA, KY, DE, CA, CT, IA, LA, NJ, OR, VA, WV, NV, OK and of course SC.

I guess we would need quite a differentiation to overcome that many Greenvilles. :blush:

I've noticed when I'm traveling and talk to business associates, if I say Greenville-Spartanburg, they've heard of the area. Spartanburg is a pretty unique name and added to Greenville, takes the place of the SC designation. Now do these people know anything about the place? Usually not.

When I fly people in on business or pleasure, most have this notion they are coming to some small, sweaty town, populated by Waffle Houses and rebel flags. Man are they surprised when they get here......all fall in love with dowtown, with the weather, the people, the topography, the restaurants, etc, etc. The look of surprise on their faces is priceless. :D

When I fly people in on business or pleasure, most have this notion they are coming to some small, sweaty town, populated by Waffle Houses and rebel flags.  Man are they surprised when they get here......all fall in love with dowtown, with the weather, the people, the topography, the restaurants, etc, etc.  The look of surprise on their faces is priceless.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't tell you how many times the same thing happens to me. Absolutely priceless! :rofl:

I was also wondering at what point (if ever) would the SC be able to be dropped and we become a "one word" city.  I think you may be right krazeeboi, there are many Greenvilles in the US.  Kinda like Springfield.  If you are a Simpson's fan you know what I mean. :D

Some very small or non-descript cities do not need to be qualified by the state abbreviation.  They may be defined by sports events (Augusta), sports teams (Oakland), not-so-nice events (Waco), unique names (Albuquerque), affluence (Beverly Hills), weather (Buffalo) yadda yadda yadda. :rolleyes:

A quick Mapblast search yields Greenvilles in AL, MS, IL, NC, TX, ME, WI, OH, TN, NH, NY, RI, PA, UT, IN, MO, FL, GA, KY, DE, CA, CT, IA, LA, NJ, OR, VA, WV, NV, OK and of course SC.

I guess we would need quite a differentiation to overcome that many Greenvilles. :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Buffalo is hardly small nor is it nondescript. As the second largest city in NYS It has a binational metro of 1.5M two major league teams and its suburb of Niagara Falls is one of the wonders of the world. For that matter niether Oakland nor Beverly Hill is small and non descript either.

RT- I hope you kindly remind them that its South Carolina :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Ohyeasureyoubetcha!"

Indeed, I do. :thumbsup:

Actually - I've got a couple of colleagues/reports who drive through this area from time to time on their way to retreats in the North Carolina Mountains, so they're familiar with it.

I had another report fly into town from Orlando to purchase a car from a dealership in Greenville. He was very much impressed. As had been mentioned in another reply, he was expecting some sweaty town with waffle houses and rebel flags. He was pleasantly surprised with what he found...I think he's shopping for a home up here now, himself. B)

Buffalo is hardly small nor is it nondescript.  As the second largest city in NYS It has a binational metro of 1.5M two major league teams and its suburb of Niagara Falls is one of the wonders of the world.  For that matter niether Oakland nor Beverly Hill is small and non descript either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, Buffalo is not small. What I'm saying is that without the Bills, the Sabres or snow, would it still be just "Buffalo" or would it be "Buffalo, NY"? I agree also that Oakland is large, but it's no LA or SF. Again the same scenario. Without the A's or the Raiders, would it be "Oakland, CA" rather than "Oakland". To me, Beverly Hills felt like a small town, though that was 10 years ago. Maybe things have changed, or maybe I missed alot of it.

Heck, I grew up in upstate NY, and I hadn't heard of Greenville 7 years ago. Considering its recent growth, I just wondered if things had changed. Didn't mean to dis anybody's hometown. :blush:

The thread is called "how does the outside view Greenville". Well, I'm not from there, and, although I've been to several spots in North and South Carolina, have yet to actually see GV. Heres my quick opinion.

First, being from the west, the south in general meant either a few big places like Atlanta, or a bunch of small, rural places like the Dukes of Hazzard place. Not much in the middle. (sure thats pretty ignorant on my part, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.) After visiting Asheville, Charlotte, Wilmington, R/D, Charleston and a few others for business and some for pleasure, have grown to like many of these areas. Enough to consider a move. (also have family in N Carolina)

Initially, thought Charlotte or Asheville were great places. It was actually a google search for the Carolina Panthers (Charlotte) that brought up Spartanburg and then, a little deeper, to GV. That, I think was the first time I'd even heard of GV.

So, how does the outside view GV? Depending on how far outside, they probably don't. It takes either a connection through someone, like a previous posters friend who bought a car htere, etc. I mention GV to other westerners and most don't have a clue.

After alot of research, I think GV must be a great place. Great size, great access to just about everthing, etc. Not very well known to those from the outside, though. IMO, thats how those of you who live there should want it to be. A secret.

I dont know why anyone would really would hear of it outside of SC, NC, or GA. I can't think of one name of a city outside of SC that is Greenville's size. You don't really hear cities like Greenville mentioned much in California or NY

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure nobody heard of Marysville, OH before Honda put a plant there. Granted, nobody just says "Marysville".

We have some major manufacturers here. BMW, Michelin, GE. We have the International Center for Automotive Research coming up soon. This I might think is national if not international news. I wondered if others were hearing about it. B)

Guess Not :blush:

After alot of research, I think GV must be a great place.  Great size, great access to just about everthing, etc.  Not very well known to those from the outside, though.  IMO, thats how those of you who live there should want it to be.  A secret.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good Point. :thumbsup: We don't want to be the next Atlanta, but there's still a little room left. B)

nerver heard of it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well don't worry. When I moved down here from Baltimore. Some family and friends were asking why was I moving back to the country. They kind of knew

when they came to visit. Don't get me wrong. I love Baltimore. But only when

I visit now. :)

Having lived in NYC, people there don't really know what G'ville is.  Then again, they get the two Carolinas confused and confuse Charlotte with Charleston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny you say that about people getting the Carolina's confused....it's so true. As an out stater that moved to South Carolina, I find myself in conversation refering not to South Carolina or North Carolina, but simply "The Carolinas". I'm sure that doesn't help people distinguish, however there is this image out there of "The Carolinas" as one big place....I think they lose a little of their own statehood and identity with the general US population. Not a bad thing though. "The Carolinas" definitely creates an impression.

I was also wondering at what point (if ever) would the SC be able to be dropped and we become a "one word" city.  I think you may be right krazeeboi, there are many Greenvilles in the US.  Kinda like Springfield.  If you are a Simpson's fan you know what I mean. :D

Some very small or non-descript cities do not need to be qualified by the state abbreviation.  They may be defined by sports events (Augusta), sports teams (Oakland), not-so-nice events (Waco), unique names (Albuquerque), affluence (Beverly Hills), weather (Buffalo) yadda yadda yadda. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I don't think that any of our major cities will ever have the "SC" designation dropped. Columbia, maybe, but you also have Columbia, MD and Columbia, MO, that some folks may have heard of. And for Charleston, because there is a state capital with the same name, it's highly unlikely that the "SC" designation will be dropped. The only two that I can think of off the top of my head that may eventually get the state designation dropped would be Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head.

About getting cities in the Carolinas mixed up, it happens all of the time outside of the South. When states share a name like that, I think it's pretty common (probably with the exception of VA and WV). I don't think the average Joe could tell you whether Bismark or Pierre is the capital of North or South Dakota.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But Greenville, SC is the largest :rolleyes:

Actually, I don't think that any of our major cities will ever have the "SC" designation dropped. Columbia, maybe, but you also have Columbia, MD and Columbia, MO, that some folks may have heard of. And for Charleston, because there is a state capital with the same name, it's highly unlikely that the "SC" designation will be dropped. The only two that I can think of off the top of my head that may eventually get the state designation dropped would be Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head.

About getting cities in the Carolinas mixed up, it happens all of the time outside of the South. When states share a name like that, I think it's pretty common (probably with the exception of VA and WV). I don't think the average Joe could tell you whether Bismark or Pierre is the capital of North or South Dakota.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree with this. I think that Charleston does have it dropped in some cases, and will in all cases eventually, and mostly because of its history whcih adds to its repuation. There arent that many people that acutally know that Charleston, WV exists.

Practically, Greenville, SC is the largest (as we all know), but technically, Greenville, NC is bigger (more people within the municipal limits). Which is why on Emporis, when you search for "Greenville," the NC city is listed first, in bold and a bigger font. Yet another downside of SC's stringent annexation laws.

I remember one article I read mentioned Charleston without the state designation, and I emailed the writer to see which one he was referring to. It was our Charleston. I do agree that in most cases, the SC city, due to its history and the tourism industry, will be the first one that comes to mind when the city's name is mentioned. But I would think that the "SC" designation will still be used for a long time now, especially because when looking at a standard map of the US, the only city designated within a state is the capital, such as this one and here's another. I really don't think that the majority of the US population have no idea that there's a city in West Virginia called Charleston. As a matter of fact, it's probably the only city in WV that they know.

I agree that outside of SC, NC, and GA, people's knowledge of SC cities is pretty scant. I doubt most know anything about Greenville. If they know Columbia, it's only because of its being the capital or USC. Charleston may be known for Fort Sumter and history. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head of course may be known for tourism. But let's face it -- Americans in general are pretty geographically ignorant. They know little outside their region. To get real notice, a city has to generate lots of buzz (like in the places rated listings). While Greenville has a great downtown and has attracted some great companies, it (along with the other SC cities) does not have anywhere near the buzz of a place like the Triangle region in NC. And poll Californians, and I bet most could not tell you much of anything about Raleigh or Durham or Chapel Hill.

Archived