How does the outside view Greenville?

But I would think that the "SC" designation will still be used for a long time now, especially because when looking at a standard map of the US, the only city designated within a state is the capital, such as this one and here's another.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, that second map lists capitals and "major" cities other than the state capitals.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Myrtle Beach is pretty recognizable without the SC designation. I heard on a poll one time that it was ranked second or third in tourism in the US. I think only Disneyworld or Vegas were ahead of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I was living in NY, I instantly recognized Myrtle Beach. Couldn't tell you what state it was in, but I knew it was a beach in the South. :blush:

Actually, that second map lists capitals and "major" cities other than the state capitals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, it does....but still, I would think that the Charleston that would stick out in the memory of someone viewing the map (who otherwise didn't know anything about either city) would be the one in WV simply because of that star that designates the city as a state capital.

I actually think that the only cities in the South that really get national attention are the widely designated "Tier 2" cities: Atlanta, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Miami, etc. The "Tier 3" cities, such as Birmingham, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville, Memphis, etc. and below, unless there is something "touristy" or historical about them, most people in other areas of the country would know very little about them. They'd know Birmingham due to its civil rights history, Jacksonville PERHAPS because they hosted the Super Bowl last year, Nashville as being "Country Music Capital USA," and Memphis due to its history, Beale Street, and the city where MLK was assassinated. I would think non-Southerners would only know a little something about Charlotte if it were business-related or if they had family there. But as far as the smaller Southern cities that don't have a significant tourism industry or aren't known for something significantly historical, such as Mobile, Huntsville, Knoxville, Little Rock, Jackson, Augusta (maybe they'd know about the Masters), Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and even the Raleigh-Durham area (even though RTP is truly one of a kind, I doubt that the average "surfer dude" in San Diego or the GM worker in Detroit knows it exists), very little would be known about these cities outside of the South. Columbia and Greenville fall into this category.

Practically, Greenville, SC is the largest (as we all know), but technically, Greenville, NC is bigger (more people within the municipal limits). Which is why on Emporis, when you search for "Greenville," the NC city is listed first, in bold and a bigger font. Yet another downside of SC's stringent annexation laws.

I remember one article I read mentioned Charleston without the state designation, and I emailed the writer to see which one he was referring to. It was our Charleston. I do agree that in most cases, the SC city, due to its history and the tourism industry, will be the first one that comes to mind when the city's name is mentioned. But I would think that the "SC" designation will still be used for a long time now, especially because when looking at a standard map of the US, the only city designated within a state is the capital, such as this one and here's another. I really don't think that the majority of the US population have no idea that there's a city in West Virginia called Charleston. As a matter of fact, it's probably the only city in WV that they know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be fair though, when you show a map who's title is "Map of the United States and Capitals" you should expect no less :)

This is true Spartan. I just wanted to point out that for many maps, only one city is displayed (the state capital) and for those that list state capitals and major cities, I would still think that for someone not familiar with either Charleston, SC or Charleston, WV, the Charleston that would stick out to them would be the one in WV simply because it is a state capital. Anyways, this is why I think that the "SC" designation will still be used for a long time now. And Charleston, SC really isn't THAT much bigger than Charleston, WV. In 2000, the SC city had 96,650 residents and the WV city had 53,421 residents. Unless (or until) Charleston, SC grows to be about 3 or 4 times as large as its WV namesake, the state designation will stay.

This is true Spartan. I just wanted to point out that for many maps, only one city is displayed (the state capital) and for those that list state capitals and major cities, I would still think that for someone not familiar with either Charleston, SC or Charleston, WV, the Charleston that would stick out to them would be the one in WV simply because it is a state capital. Anyways, this is why I think that the "SC" designation will still be used for a long time now. And Charleston, SC really isn't THAT much bigger than Charleston, WV. In 2000, the SC city had 96,650 residents and the WV city had 53,421 residents. Unless (or until) Charleston, SC grows to be about 3 or 4 times as large as its WV namesake, the state designation will stay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charleston WV has only 53,000 residents? Pretty small for the largest city in the state and the capital. Charleston SC is now about 110,000 and 200,000 will probably come within 20 years or so.

Actually, I don't think that any of our major cities will ever have the "SC" designation dropped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think most people on the East coast know about Myrtle Beach without the SC designation. You often see it mentioned without the SC. Even Charlotte, the largest city in the Carolina's, can't say that.

Charleston WV has only 53,000 residents?  Pretty small for the largest city in the state and the capital.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. That's about the size of Rock Hill. As much of a proponent of hometown/home state pride as I am, I'd be gagging if Rock Hill was the most that SC had to offer...LOL. But to be fair, the urbanized area population for Chucktown, WV was 183,000. Still pretty small to be the largest city in the state though. And on top of that, all of WV's major cities lost population between 1990 and 2000. It's a sad state of affairs in that state.

For some reason, I always thought Huntington was the largest city in WV (not including the 17,000 or so college students that attend Marshall University)?

Oh well - this thread is about how others on the outside view Greenville...not about how we view West Virginia, anyway :P

This is my own crazy view, but I more or less see South Carolina as being more like the Ohio of the South (only smaller - for now). Columbia = Columbus. Charleston = Cincinnati. Anderson = Toledo. Greenville = Cleveland. Spartanburg = Akron. Rock Hill = Canton. Aiken/Augusta, GA = Dayton. OK...I'm really reaching here :lol:

For some reason, I always thought Huntington was the largest city in WV (not including the 17,000 or so college students that attend Marshall University)? 

Oh well - this thread is about how  others on the outside view Greenville...not about how we view West Virginia, anyway  :P

This is my own crazy view, but I more or less see South Carolina as being more like the Ohio of the South (only smaller - for now).  Columbia = Columbus.  Charleston = Cincinnati.  Anderson = Toledo.  Greenville = Cleveland.  Spartanburg = Akron.  Rock Hill = Canton.  Aiken/Augusta, GA = Dayton.  OK...I'm really reaching here  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:wacko:

I agree with the gripes about annexation laws not helping national and global recognition. Louisville just merged its city and county governments therefore going from a 100,000 resident city to a 600,000 resident city overnight. (I do understand that will never happen in Greenvile, but provides a pretty illustrative point).

Also wanted to second the opinion that Greenville-Spartanburg is our most widely known moniker. Upsets me just a bit when Convention & Visitors Bureau, & others try to market the area as theUpstate. Upstate is a fine term for internal purposes, but IMHO people see Greenville-Spartanburg in airports therefore its what the outside world know of us. There's almost as many Upstates as there are Greenvilles (thought I heard once that there were 46 Greenvilles).

One more aside: met a fellow from Greenville, TX about a year ago. He had a City of Greenville (TX) shirt on and the logo had about 3/4ths of an outlin of Texas around the word Greenville. I asked the gentlemen about and he said, that they had added the outline of Texas,b/c they were often confused with Greenville, SC.

http://www.greenvilletxedc.com/

Oh well - this thread is about how  others on the outside view Greenville...not about how we view West Virginia, anyway  :P

This is my own crazy view, but I more or less see South Carolina as being more like the Ohio of the South (only smaller - for now).  Columbia = Columbus.  Charleston = Cincinnati.  Anderson = Toledo.  Greenville = Cleveland.  Spartanburg = Akron.  Rock Hill = Canton.  Aiken/Augusta, GA = Dayton.  OK...I'm really reaching here  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is your reasoning for equating Rock Hill with Canton, instead of, say, Youngstown? Just curious... :silly:

I agree with the gripes about annexation laws not helping national and global recognition.  Louisville just merged its city and county governments therefore going from a 100,000 resident city to a 600,000 resident city overnight. (I do understand that will never happen in Greenvile, but provides a pretty illustrative point).

Also wanted to second the opinion that Greenville-Spartanburg is our most widely known moniker.  Upsets me just a bit when Convention & Visitors Bureau, & others try to market the area as theUpstate.  Upstate is a fine term for internal purposes, but IMHO people see Greenville-Spartanburg in airports therefore its what the outside world know of us.  There's almost as many Upstates as there are Greenvilles (thought I heard once that there were 46 Greenvilles).

One more aside: met a fellow from Greenville, TX about a year ago.  He had a City of Greenville (TX) shirt on and the logo had about 3/4ths of an outlin of Texas around the word Greenville.  I asked the gentlemen about and he said, that they had added the outline of Texas,b/c they were often confused with Greenville, SC.

http://www.greenvilletxedc.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are some other Upstates?

I know of Upstate NY and Upstate SC. Thats all. Maybe Vermont?

I think it is Northern California and not upstate California. Virginia is out also, as it is Northern Virginia.

What about upstate Illinois? I have definitely heard of people discuss "downstate" Illinois, as in Urbana-Champaign. But I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean there is an upstate.

What is your reasoning for equating Rock Hill with Canton, instead of, say, Youngstown? Just curious... :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Purely Geographical :D Florence would be Youngstown. :P I don't exactly like to equate Greenville to Cleveland either, but both towns have risen from past lives to become vivrant and thriving cities....both even have their "Gateway" projects. Let's just hope the Reedy never catches fire :rofl:

I think it is Northern California and not upstate California.  Virginia is out also, as it is Northern Virginia.

What about upstate Illinois?  I have definitely heard of people discuss "downstate" Illinois, as in Urbana-Champaign.  But I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean there is an upstate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. We don't have a downstate either. I think in Illinois its downstate" because its either Chicago or its not. Its kinda like how Upstate NY is everything that is not NYC and west of something (I've never been 100% clear on that one).

True. We don't have a downstate either. I think in Illinois its downstate" because its either Chicago or its not. Its kinda like how Upstate NY is everything that is not NYC and west of something (I've never been 100% clear on that one).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have a downstate, we just call it the Low Country, now what other state can say they use that term.

Archived