How does the outside view Greenville?

Relocate-America.com has ranked Greenville as one of the top 100 cities in the U.S. people choose to live. Link to article from the Greenville News. I really like the following paragraph from the end of the article, as it's exactly what happened to me:

"People show up and you ask them how they found Greenville and they say they could have lived anywhere they wanted to but they have been doing some research and visiting some markets and that they have just fallen in love with Greenville.........

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....INESS/705080376

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard the "fallen in love with Greenville" comment hundreds (if not thousands) of times in the past decade. That is one reason I am so passionate about getting people to physically come for a visit. I know without hesitation that they will be impressed, if not completely blown away - which happens a vast majority of the time. You know a place has reached a great level when you don't even have to host first-time visitors and "give them the tour" for them to be satisfied - though I do recommend showing off our Southern hospitality whenever possible. :shades:

This reminded me of a recent meeting I was in with a Media General executive in Richmond. He was formerly a long-time manager at WLOS in Asheville and later a manager at WSPA in Spartanburg for a short time. He knows this area (market) well. He recently came down for a visit and toured Spartanburg and Greenville. His quote was that he was extremely impressed with the changes that have occured in Greenville. He said, "...it appears that every time Spartanburg has taken a step in the right direction, Greenville has taken at least three..." He was completely blown away by the growth around the Reedy River. These are the kinds of impressions that business executives are constantly left with upon spending time here for various reasons. Is is any wonder then that we have such a robust and growing economy? I think not. :thumbsup:

I have heard the "fallen in love with Greenville" comment hundreds (if not thousands) of times in the past decade. That is one reason I am so passionate about getting people to physically come for a visit. I know without hesitation that they will be impressed, if not completely blown away - which happens a vast majority of the time.

You can now say you've heard the comment a thousand and one times. :lol:

See the article below. Terry Stringer from Atlanta, is moving his company (Intelisolve) into Riverplace downtown. The reason? See his quote in the article: "I wanted to locate in downtown Greenville because I went down there and fell in love with the place" :thumbsup:

See the article below. Terry Stringer from Atlanta, is moving his company (Intelisolve) into Riverplace downtown. The reason? See his quote in the article: "I wanted to locate in downtown Greenville because I went down there and fell in love with the place" :thumbsup:

They sure picked a great location being at Riverplace! Great stuff. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Read a cool comment today on another web forum site, from someone who had visited Greenville over Memorial Day weekend and fell in love with the city. The comment was, the person "could tell Greenville has a sense of place and presents itself well". Very nicely worded review. :thumbsup:

More tourist getting hooked on Greenville! :)

Read a cool comment today on another web forum site, from someone who had visited Greenville over Memorial Day weekend and fell in love with the city. The comment was, the person "could tell Greenville has a sense of place and presents itself well". Very nicely worded review. :thumbsup:

More tourist getting hooked on Greenville! :)

I printed that off and shared it with a few friends. His review is precisely what I hear from first-time visitors on a regular basis. :thumbsup:

^ Love it!

You know, you just gotta love the charms of Greenville. As locals, we get upset with developers when they cancel or delay projects, but then you read what a visitors thinks and WOW......visitors are blown away by Greenville just as it is today. I was blown away several years ago by Greenville and that was prior to any West End Field, Riverplace, McBee Station, The Point, etc, etc.

No matter how many times developers change a project or scale back or cancel, Greenville still shines. Greenville shines to its vsistors. It has a natural charm and energy that simply can't be taken away. :wub::wub:

No matter how many times developers change a project or scale back or cancel, Greenville still shines. Greenville shines to its vsistors. It has a natural charm and energy that simply can't be taken away. :wub::wub:

You know, that's very true, my friend. Come to think of it, I've lived here all my life, but I can't really remember downtown before it was what it is today. I mean: I remember driving into the West End two years ago and it being dead and never thinking of going past Augusta Street, but it's hard to really think it was ever that way... I remember everything pre-Riverplace, Mast General Store and all that, but it's unreal to think about.. And while we strive for even better today, I tend to kind of overlook how good it is, because we aren't satisfied (which is a good thing, IMO, because we are pushing for even better). And visitors can really express how it is, because they haven't known it in the past or what project is being scaled back or delayed... Thanks Gsupstate for the reality check. :thumbsup:

Met someone tonight from Chattanooga or Knoxville, I think (somewhere in TN). He went to Furman and fell in love with the city and decided to stay after graduation, which has only been a year. Greenville is attracting young people, it's just a matter of getting some of them in the door to give it a chance. :shades:

My wife is from Colorado, and she moved here with me almost two years ago. Unfortunately, she does not like Greenville all that much. :dunno: She admits that it is pretty and green here, but she misses the mountains, cold and snow (I agree with her on these two), and bigger city amenities. She also says that a major turn-off is the "cliqueiness" of southerners (especially southern women (no offense to anyone)), and the "in your face" racial tensions (as compared to Colorado). I am trying to wear her down, but so far, I have had limited success. She asks me quite often, when we are going to move. :cry:

^^She misses mountains? What are those things in western North Carolina called again? ;)

I know, and she loves going to Ceaser's Head, and all the waterfalls and stuff. But they are not in the same ballpark as CO mountains, nor are we as close to them. And Snow and winters have become almost nonexistent here over the past few years so I don't have much of an argument there (since she has been here, we have had one ice-storm, and 1 1/2 inches of snow <_< ).

She also says that a major turn-off is the "cliqueiness" of southerners (especially southern women (no offense to anyone)), and the "in your face" racial tensions (as compared to Colorado).

That is one thing that I've noticed as far as cliques go, they are a beast and nature of their own in the southeast. Conversely, up here, racial tensions are exponentially worse than they were down south, yet I actually know my neighbors, and there is a camaraderie that I've never experienced anywhere else that I've lived. There will always be things that we like about where we live. There will always be pros and cons; there is no perfect place, Greenville included in that statement. Don't get me wrong, I love Greenville and the upstate, and I hope and pray that one day I'll be able to move back, but in all sincerity, home is where we make it. I put up with $1600 a month in rent, unpredictable weather, and trying to date in this city, just so that I can get a job that pays a living wage, and finally attempt to finish my degree here at UMass. With what I've learned about myself since moving up here, well, lets say it like this: I'm going to take the upstate by storm when I come back.

/end rant

That is one thing that I've noticed as far as cliques go, they are a beast and nature of their own in the southeast. Conversely, up here, racial tensions are exponentially worse than they were down south, yet I actually know my neighbors, and there is a camaraderie that I've never experienced anywhere else that I've lived.

They're is also another kind of cliqueness in Greenville. I'm not sure if it's prevelant in other counties as strong as Greenville but their is a thing between western Greenville county and the "eastside". You have more "natives" who live in the western and northern parts of the county. I say "native" because at one time a lot of those people were not native but their families migrated to Greenville from more rural areas of the lower piedmont area of SC, northeast Georgia, etc. because of the Textile industry (this describes my family background) and when a lot newer industries came to the area starting in Mauldin and Simpsonville and then expanding to Greer, etc. more and more new people moved in from at lot further out from states like Ohio, Michigian, Pennsavania, etc. Bob Jones University also brought in a lot of northern imports as students would often get married and stay to start churches, their own businesses and get married. I'm not sure why it is but a lot of "Bob Jones people" come from Michigan. Maybe their is a big fundamentalist church up their funneling people down here. I've never got a straight answer. So the Eastside is to Greenville County what Florida is to the south. Just like Florida is not seen as the "real south" by southerners. the Eastside is not as recognized as the "real Greenville" by a lot of people from the previous generation.

I'm not as hung up on the differences as my parents and grandparents but as a native I have also felt shuned by "eastsiders" and have gotten condescending remarks when I tell them I was born here and what part of the county I live even to the point on not being included in their cliques so it does go both ways.

They're is also another kind of cliqueness in Greenville. I'm not sure if it's prevelant in other counties as strong as Greenville but their is a thing between western Greenville county and the "eastside". You have more "natives" who live in the western and northern parts of the county. I say "native" because at one time a lot of those people were not native but their families migrated to Greenville from more rural areas of the lower piedmont area of SC, northeast Georgia, etc. because of the Textile industry (this describes my family background) and when a lot newer industries came to the area starting in Mauldin and Simpsonville and then expanding to Greer, etc. more and more new people moved in from at lot further out from states like Ohio, Michigian, Pennsavania, etc. Bob Jones University also brought in a lot of northern imports as students would often get married and stay to start churches, their own businesses and get married. I'm not sure why it is but a lot of "Bob Jones people" come from Michigan. Maybe their is a big fundamentalist church up their funneling people down here. I've never got a straight answer. So the Eastside is to Greenville County what Florida is to the south. Just like Florida is not seen as the "real south" by southerners. the Eastside is not as recognized as the "real Greenville" by a lot of people from the previous generation.

I'm not as hung up on the differences as my parents and grandparents but as a native I have also felt shuned by "eastsiders" and have gotten condescending remarks when I tell them I was born here and what part of the county I live even to the point on not being included in their cliques so it does go both ways.

That's funny, because to me, the Eastside represents the attributes I associate with Greenville - progressive, diverse, clean, fun, and filled with opportunity. That's not to say that the other areas of Greenville are "less good" or don't have as much to offer, but to consider the Eastside some sort of fake Greenville is crazy and short-sighted. Perhaps the individuals who feel that way are simply afraid of change and progress.

I haven't really ever noticed the clique issue in Greenville. From day one, my partner and I got a pretty warm reception and have developed many true friends, many "dinner" casual friends, and many acquaintances. But come to think of it, most of those people are like us, in that they moved here from somewhere else. We probably only know a handfull of lifetime Greenvillians.

But also, our perspective on cliques here is probably skewed as we lived in Dallas, which is a major clique city and then also Mobile, Alabama which is the grand dame of cliques. In Mobile, you were immediately asked a series of questions at any dinner party. Which private school did you attend (St.Pauls, UMS or Bayside)? Which Mardi Gras krewe did your parents belong to? Which zipcode did you reside in? Could you claim relatives from any of Mobiles old guard families (ie: the Zoghbys). Give the wrong answer to any of the questions, and you were blackballed from the social scene. Sad, but true.

That's funny, because to me, the Eastside represents the attributes I associate with Greenville - progressive, diverse, clean, fun, and filled with opportunity. That's not to say that the other areas of Greenville are "less good" or don't have as much to offer, but to consider the Eastside some sort of fake Greenville is crazy and short-sighted. Perhaps the individuals who feel that way are simply afraid of change and progress.

But you see that's the issue with the old timer/native/west Greenvillians, etc. Part of it has to do with the textile industry but their is also some Augusta Rd./McDanial Ave, etc. old money types in their as well. They feel the western part of the county has been kind of abandoned and forgotten. This is one reason the West End revitalization was a book deal along with the Pete Hollis Memorial and other projects like the Mill Lofts. Back in the first half of the 20th Century (and into the 50's and mid 60's the westside was the eastside. Needless to say the Woodruff Road situation doesn't impress that crowd in the least bit and I personally about blow a gasket every time I drive on that road as well.

The Rockies are definitely impressive and unique, but if you love lush greenery and endless color in Autumn, the Appalachains are where you can find that. I personally prefer a place where you can literally stick just about anything into the soil and it will grow. Of course, everyone has a unique perspective and preference.

Hi everyone. I just found this site. I have moved to many differ cities and my first impression is it seems to be in the tranistion phases in spots? I noticed Woodruff Rd. seems to be the old main rd so to speak? Is this correct? Not many cities have old main rds that see new construction and development like greenville does. That is always a great sign in my view.

There used to be hardly nothing on Woodruff road. The developement there in just the past 5-6 years is pretty new. Im a lifetime andersonian, but travel to Greenville quit often since im really in a suburb of it.

Archived