How does the outside view Greenville?

Hi everyone. I just found this site. I have moved to many differ cities and my first impression is it seems to be in the tranistion phases in spots? I noticed Woodruff Rd. seems to be the old main rd so to speak? Is this correct? Not many cities have old main rds that see new construction and development like greenville does. That is always a great sign in my view.

I would say that Augusta Road is more in line with what you are referring to. And today, there's less new commercial construction going on, but residential is the main construction drive of the corridor, whether it's new homes sqeezed on a sub-divided lot, or renovations in order to be able to stay in the area...

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone. I just found this site. I have moved to many differ cities and my first impression is it seems to be in the tranistion phases in spots? I noticed Woodruff Rd. seems to be the old main rd so to speak? Is this correct? Not many cities have old main rds that see new construction and development like greenville does. That is always a great sign in my view.

No, if Greenville has a "main road" (other than Main Street) it would probably be Highway 29 (I-185, Mills Ave, Church Street, Wade Hampton Blvd.) It's an extension of both the Interstate Highway System and the part of the old US Highway system. In fact at one time Highway 29 was once called America's Main Street. Basically the "Route 66" of this neck of the Woods. It's still pretty much holding it's on. A lot of times I will take Highway 29 to the exit near Spartanburg to avoid the I-85 congestion plus when I have time I love taking 29 to Charlotte when I'm not in a rush.

The next cotender for "main road" would probably be Pleasantburg Drive aka Hwy 291 which run from I-85 all the way up to Cherrydale Shopping Center north of town.

A close third would be Laurens Road also known as 276 which runs from Mauldin, SC, a section of Greenville next to the Verdae/I-CAR Development, "Motor Mile" and along the eastern edge of downtown.

Woodruff Road starting being developed in the mid to late 80's. It probably first started to see development in the 70's when Fiber Industries was in business and then G.E. later on a lot of major sub divisions were build at one end along with some large churches. One of the churches (Southside Baptist and Christian School) moved out to the Intersection of 14 and Woodruff from the Augusta Road area. Quite a few church members moved out in there as well as parents who had children at the school. Some of the people their opened up businesses on the road (I know because I attended the church for a time in the early 90's and was a student at the school on Augusta Road in the early 80's). One thing that has always bothered me about Woodruff Road is it has no personality compared to other parts of town. I'm not sure how to classify the no personality except a lot of buildings were building without design in mind.

These are just my thoughts. The observations of someone in his early 40's who has always lived here. Take if for what you will.

Good little real time story here folks....

I'm in Wilmington, Delaware at the moment. Was in a meeting today with 5 people and when they found out I lived in Greenville, 3 of them started "gushing". "We love Greenville"......"cute downtown"....."beautiful place"......"educated....lots of corporations".....on and on. These 3 had been to Greenville and apparently had been bitten by the bug.

On and on we talked. I found out that apparently a few years back, Wilmington, DE officials visted Greenville to get tips. After spending two days in downtown Wilmington, I must say it reminds me greatly of Greenville (excellent wayfinder program, fairly new ballpark, bricked sidewalks, landscaping, new condos, etc, etc). Even the cities somewhat small population is misleading as this city packs a powerfull financial / business / corporate punch.....much like Greenville's small population and heavy power punch.

Anyway, made for a very nice (and successul) meeting.

Wilmington, the mid-Atlantic Greenville. :D

Good little real time story here folks....

...Wilmington, the mid-Atlantic Greenville. :D

Thanks for this great story. I have never been to Wilmington, but have researched it recently after hearing it had quite a bit to offer visitors. The largest difference between Greenville and Wilmington, Delaware, that I could find (besides the obvious difference in location) is the cost of living. Here in Greenville, we can enjoy everything without having to break the bank. :shades: I have also heard from a friend who has relatives living there and apparently they have a hard time getting by on what should be considered a decent salary.

My wife is from Colorado, and she moved here with me almost two years ago. Unfortunately, she does not like Greenville all that much. :dunno: She admits that it is pretty and green here, but she misses the mountains, cold and snow (I agree with her on these two), and bigger city amenities. She also says that a major turn-off is the "cliqueiness" of southerners (especially southern women (no offense to anyone)), and the "in your face" racial tensions (as compared to Colorado). I am trying to wear her down, but so far, I have had limited success. She asks me quite often, when we are going to move. :cry:

That's interesting that your wife would key in on racial tensions. My family and I have just spent a year traveling this great country and getting to know different areas. One of the things that struck us immediately about Greenville was the lack of racial tension; as an example, I have never seen so many interracial couples walking around comfortably. Or such apparent courtesy between people of all backgrounds (maybe we're missing something...time will tell.)

I think the key quote from his post is "racial tensions (as compared to Colorado)."

A place must first have racial diversity before there can be any possibilty of racial tensions. If you were to look at Colorado's demographics, you'd see that the population there is predominantly caucasian (roughly 75%) with the primary minority being latino-americans (17%), so there are no racial tensions to speak of in Colorado.

I agree with you, though...there aren't any here that I can discern either. I suppose each individual perception of racial tensions is relative to each individual's background.

I think the key quote from his post is "racial tensions (as compared to Colorado)."

A place must first have racial diversity before there can be any possibilty of racial tensions. If you were to look at Colorado's demographics, you'd see that the population there is predominantly caucasian (roughly 75%) with the primary minority being latino-americans (17%), so there are no racial tensions to speak of in Colorado.

I agree with you, though...there aren't any here that I can discern either. I suppose each individual perception of racial tensions is relative to each individual's background.

Well said!

I also find Greenville to rank in the lowest of the many cities that I have lived in/visited on the grounds of racial tension. I have to assume it's a knee-jerk assumption of many not from this area and that assumption is made to their own detriment. I would have to extend those southern misconceptions to those of alternative lifestyles as well. I find Greenville to consistently buck the typical stereotypes placed upon southern people and cities but also would rather that those who wish to stuburnly believe in such things to continue on with their thinking and remain elsewhere.

Well said!

I also find Greenville to rank in the lowest of the many cities that I have lived in/visited on the grounds of racial tension. I have to assume it's a knee-jerk assumption of many not from this area and that assumption is made to their own detriment. I would have to extend those southern misconceptions to those of alternative lifestyles as well. I find Greenville to consistently buck the typical stereotypes placed upon southern people and cities but also would rather that those who wish to stuburnly believe in such things to continue on with their thinking and remain elsewhere.

Well said. :thumbsup:

When I was an outsider, first time I visited Greenville, I noticed a great difference between GV and other Southern cities. Racial tension seems much lower. As a gay man, my partner and I also noticed how accepting the people of Greenville were....therefore we moved here. From day one, my partner and I could meet someone and use "we" in our conversation. The Greenvillians we met understood "we" and accepted "we" in conversation very matter of factly. They weren't offended, nor did they go to other extreme and talk only about gay things (which many mistakeningly do in trying to make people feel comfortable). It was just simple....two guys....living their life. We were accepted at face value. I think that's one of Greenville's strengths and one of the biggest surprises to outsiders. :thumbsup:

Well said. :thumbsup:

When I was an outsider, first time I visited Greenville, I noticed a great difference between GV and other Southern cities. Racial tension seems much lower. As a gay man, my partner and I also noticed how accepting the people of Greenville were....therefore we moved here. From day one, my partner and I could meet someone and use "we" in our conversation. The Greenvillians we met understood "we" and accepted "we" in conversation very matter of factly. They weren't offended, nor did they go to other extreme and talk only about gay things (which many mistakeningly do in trying to make people feel comfortable). It was just simple....two guys....living their life. We were accepted at face value. I think that's one of Greenville's strengths and one of the biggest surprises to outsiders. :thumbsup:

Very well said!

I think there's just this whole mentality or culture here of "judge not lest ye be judged." I dig it. Yes, we can be critical (it's only human nature, after all) of things and people, but we try not to pass judgement on others without walking a mile or so in their shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a nice chat with a guy in Dallas while waiting to catch a flight to DC earlier in the week. Happened his was headed to Greenville. Told him I lived in Greenville but wasn't headed home at the time. He works for a company that builds "clean rooms" for industry / high tech industry. Said Greenville was a major city for this his company, always lots of work in the Greenville metro. He said the guys in the Dallas headquarters argue over who gets to come to Greenville, as they ALL want to. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Of course he raved about downtown and West End. :thumbsup: He's currently working on a "clean room" and expansion for a company that builds some sort of fuellines / fuel filters for diesel engines. Didn't recognize the name.

Very Cool! You all have these great stories, that it makes me excited for my next plane trip that I might be able to discuss this wonderful place with someone who has been here or heard of it.

Coming back from Spartanburg tonight I was wondering what people think when they drive along 85 passing through the area. And it hit me. It must leave an impression of commerce, growth, and a GREAT business climate. The first major exit is Pelham Rd which is loaded with very large hotels along the interstate. I never realize how large the Microtel (I think) is. It's about two hotels put together end to end. Then about 75% or more of the billboards along the interstate are for hotels. Saw ones for Holiday Inn, Drury Inn & Suites, Hampton Inn Riverplace... Then there is Woodruff Rd. New large Drury Inn, and another sizable hotel under construction. Hubbell Lighting, South Financial, ICAR... Then I exited. I'm not sure what people think of Greenville as they drive through, but that would be my guess of an observant traveler. :shades:

^ I'm chatty with my seat mates and people in the gate area when I fly. I have to travel a great deal with my job and hearing peoples stories / backgrounds makes it so much more interesting. It's easy to strike up conversation about places / travel......lighthearted and neutral conversation.

I can tell you, I honestly never remember hearing a negative about Greenville from anyone when it's discussed. At the very least, they haven't been here and don't have an opinion. If they have been here, it's been 100% positive.

I agree with your thoughts.....85 is starting to make a very positive impression for the area. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Made my annual trip to the upstate last week to visit family and had a great time. My family strolled around Falls Park one day. Very beautiful. What makes it post worthy though were my wife's comments (she's not from here and is used to much bigger cities). Strolling through Falls Park - her comments were - "This is really a great park" and "Greenville seems a lot more international and cosmopolitan all of a sudden".

For my part ICAR, and Hubbel really add a lot to the interstate view. I do have one negative comment about Hubbel. From the North, the stone base looks a lot like plywood covering up broken glass. It's only as you get closer that you "get it". From the South - it wasn't a problem.

...I do have one negative comment about Hubbel. From the North, the stone base looks a lot like plywood covering up broken glass. It's only as you get closer that you "get it". From the South - it wasn't a problem.

That's an excellent observation and I have to agree with you. If some ivy or some other vining plant were turned loose on that stone wall, it may help it look less like plywood.

• 2 weeks later...

This article was published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution today:

Greenville, SC: An Old City with lots of New Attractions

And just a couple of weeks later, the Atlanta Journal Constitution does another article on Greenville. Good article. Much of the same info as two weeks ago, but some different. Excellent press. :thumbsup:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/gwi...ip_0810gwe.html

Here's something weird that happened last week.

As you know from my "tag" I live in Bangkok right now. I was watching the news last week (CNN International - which is different from what you guys get in the States) and there was a guy reporting on Tiger Woods announcement that he'll be building a golf course in the NC mountains. But they were reporting from Traveler's Rest! :) No mention of Greenville. Just a golfcourse backdrop on a story about Tiger Woods with the text Traveler's Rest, SC in the lower right corner of the screen. The reporter did mention the fact that Gary Player is setting up shop nearby.

Where is Woods building his course? Is it near the NC/SC line? Is it even really in NC or did the reporter get it wrong? Is it possible that the outside will soon view Greenville as a golfing destination?

Archived