How does the outside view Greenville?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is Woods building his course? Is it near the NC/SC line? Is it even really in NC or did the reporter get it wrong? Is it possible that the outside will soon view Greenville as a golfing destination?

The course is really going to be in North Carolina, yes. The Cliffs Communities HQ is in "Travelers Rest," though, so the press conference announcing the Cliffs at High Carolina was held there.

Thought the below was a compliment and great view by an outsider of Greenville. CEO Mike Sheehan, of Hill-Holliday in Boston (Erwin- Penlands parent company) had this to say about Greenville:

Sheehan said, "When you walk around and look at the restaurants, the stores, the business -- there is thought put into everything I see."

"You can sense, you can feel, you can see and you can touch a very creative culture in the city," he said.

Article link below:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/13952987/detail.html

• 1 month later...

A reader's opinion from the Birmingham News (my hometown), on Greenville's positive growth. Complimentary piece. The reader is a lttle confused on what MSA means.....but you get the point.

Part of the letter:

"I travel to Greenville, S.C., often and have for 15 years. Over the years, I've witnessed remarkable growth there, particularly in the downtown area.

Why mention Greenville, S.C., in The Birmingham News? Greenville's metropolitan statistical area population is about 61,000, with the Greenville/Spartanburg area sporting 1.2 million people. By contrast, Birmingham boasts a (declining) MSA population of roughly 230,000, with the Birmingham/Hoover area having 1.1 million people.

The difference between the two cities is almost certainly the result of political leadership (or lack thereof) and a business-friendly environment........"

Link:

http://www.al.com/opinion/birminghamnews/i....xml&coll=2

• 2 weeks later...

This past weeks Journal has an excellent front page article on people that have "found" Greenville and are moving to Greenville.

The article is about people moving to Greenville called "Bound for Greenville and a New Home". Article reports that many people are moving here simply for the quality of life and not just jobs (something we all knew). One family interviewed in the article simply moved here because they fell in love.....moved here without jobs. A really good read. Some good quotes from the article: "It's a real city that flies under the radar". One man was immediately "blown away" when seeing downtown Greenville after visiting several cities.....he "felt like a kid in a candy store walking around". One family upon seeing downtown said "We all went, WOW". Pick up a copy and read it.....excellent read.

• 3 weeks later...

In Pittsburgh last week on Halloween night and went out with clients and friends.....huge group. This one young couple, the girl was great fun, but the guy just had this wall up. Think he thought I was after his girlfriend, and hadn't figured out I rode a different bus and was no threat. Anyway, for an hour or two having a great time, except this guy. Stonefaced when I would try to talk to him.....and then.....somebody said something about Greenville and he figured out I lived in Greenville. The floodgates opened.....his brother had moved to Greenville last year with GE.....he had visited his brother and loved the place! Incredible place! Awesome! Loved the downtown! Gorgeous chicks! Great bars and restaurants! Loved the surrounding mountains! All the accolades and suddenly he was buying me drinks. I was invited to he and his girlfriends condo the next time I'm in town. He'll be down to hang out with me. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Amazing how the city of Greenville can open doors! :lol:

In Pittsburgh last week on Halloween night and went out with clients and friends.....huge group. This one young couple, the girl was great fun, but the guy just had this wall up. Think he thought I was after his girlfriend, and hadn't figured out I rode a different bus and was no threat. Anyway, for an hour or two having a great time, except this guy. Stonefaced when I would try to talk to him.....and then.....somebody said something about Greenville and he figured out I lived in Greenville. The floodgates opened.....his brother had moved to Greenville last year with GE.....he had visited his brother and loved the place! Incredible place! Awesome! Loved the downtown! Gorgeous chicks! Great bars and restaurants! Loved the surrounding mountains! All the accolades and suddenly he was buying me drinks. I was invited to he and his girlfriends condo the next time I'm in town. He'll be down to hang out with me. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Amazing how the city of Greenville can open doors! :lol:

Gsupstate, you always bring the best stories to us and I am very grateful for your efforts. This one is just awesome and shows the way a city like Greenville can actually be used to break down barriers and open doors between people who would typically have nothing worthwhile to say among themselves. I have seen this and heard several newcomers comment on how Greenville is a place where people from all types of cultural backgrounds get along together surprisingly very well. Now your next concern should be that this man's girlfriend may start thinking you are stealing her boyfriend! :silly::rofl::alc:

• 2 months later...

You guys will love this article on Greenville from the Austin, Texas newspaper. Written by a local Texan who discovered downtown Greenville on a trip. Lovely article. :wub:

http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life...velmatters.html

Great article! I honestly don't think I recall ever hearing Travelers Rest referred to as a "Hamlet" before though. :lol:

I don't know if this was shared yet or not. It's from Charleston's Lowcountry Living's January 5, 2008 edition. It's full of LOTS of praise for Greenville. Here's a few quotes I pulled for your enjoyment:

forward-thinking Greenville continued to attract big-dollar international industry to its area, making the upstate a progressive melting pot and a driving force for regional economic expansion.

------

Frequently referred to as a shining example of “the New South,” Greenville is a city that makes sense in a South that is embracing the outside world while refining and protecting its own heritage through everything from the fusion of foods it serves to the historic properties that it restores.

------

I personally have never seen a public city park so awe-inspiring, with its cascading 60-foot waterfall, natural amphitheaters, constantly blooming terraced gardens, and show-stopping 355-foot-long suspended pedestrian bridge.

------

The city is particularly proud of its refurbished West End Historic District, which surrounds Falls Park and ends at Shoeless Joe Jackson Memorial Park. This minor league field is a tribute to Greenville’s hometown hero and is modeled after Fenway Park, the home of the team’s major league affiliate, the Boston Red Sox. (These people love their city baseball and college sports.)

The author has the info in the last quote wrong. It's West End Field, not Shoeless Joe Jackson Memorial Park (though one does exist in West Greenville as an actual 'park' I believe, it says "this minor league field"...).

Anyway, it's a good read. Check it out here: Lowcountry Living

I don't know if this was shared yet or not. It's from Charleston's Lowcountry Living's January 5, 2008 edition. It's full of LOTS of praise for Greenville. Here's a few quotes I pulled for your enjoyment:

The author has the info in the last quote wrong. It's West End Field, not Shoeless Joe Jackson Memorial Park (though one does exist in West Greenville as an actual 'park' I believe, it says "this minor league field"...).

Great read, indeed! I am amazed at how many people in Charleston (even natives!) are clueless about Greenville. They seem shocked that another SC city a mere 3 hours from there can have so much to offer. The funny thing is that our culture in the Upstate is classier and more cosmopolitan than here in Charleston (at least in my opinion). Charleston feels more Old South/Lowcountry with plenty of seersucker, bowties, etc. :sick:

EXCELLENT article! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks GvilleSC.

Nice to see a tourist area like Charleston, with so much going on, have an appreciation for Greenville. I find it interesting the focus of the article is visiting Greenville during cold weather. I always try to get my out of town guest to come during the cold weather months.....Greenville really seems to shine during the cold weather months.

Great read, indeed! I am amazed at how many people in Charleston (even natives!) are clueless about Greenville. They seem shocked that another SC city a mere 3 hours from there can have so much to offer. The funny thing is that our culture in the Upstate is classier and more cosmopolitan than here in Charleston (at least in my opinion). Charleston feels more Old South/Lowcountry with plenty of seersucker, bowties, etc. :sick:

This is an excellent read. It does have an interesting tone to it though, almost as if they thought Gville was just a quiet crossroad town somewhere in the middle of nowhere... :silly:

This is an excellent read. It does have an interesting tone to it though, almost as if they thought Gville was just a quiet crossroad town somewhere in the middle of nowhere... :silly:

It seems to always be that way in SC. Maybe because we're in the upstate and therefore make trips to the beach, which include driving through Columbia and potentially Charleston. Plus Charleston's tourist draw also bring us out of the hills :silly: . But it seems that we're more educated on SC's main cities for that reason. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that people don't know much about Greenville at all. Just that we sit up here with our sister Spartanburg.

This is where our tourism efforts would come in handy. Maybe once the GO Center gets built, we'll start heavily advertising in the Lowcountry and surrounding states.

It seems to always be that way in SC. Maybe because we're in the upstate and therefore make trips to the beach, which include driving through Columbia and potentially Charleston. Plus Charleston's tourist draw also bring us out of the hills :silly: . But it seems that we're more educated on SC's main cities for that reason. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that people don't know much about Greenville at all. Just that we sit up here with our sister Spartanburg.

This is where our tourism efforts would come in handy. Maybe once the GO Center gets built, we'll start heavily advertising in the Lowcountry and surrounding states.

I think part of it could also be that Greenville is slightly different than the rest of SC. Less Old South, different demographics, etc. I laugh when I hear the typical South Carolinian talk about how SC only has two seasons (Hot and Warm)....knowing myself that Upstate has 4 distinct seasons. I think the typical Low Country person just assumes all of SC is the same and doesn't quite realize the difference in Greenville until they visit.

^Thats actually a good point. I don't think I've ever thought of it that way. The seasons in the Upstate are more defined than they are in the Lowcountry. The Midlands are sort of split, so you might say 3 seasons there. But that difference does make the Upstate unique from the lower half of the state. Lets not forget, however, that the seasonal differences basically start at the fall line where we get more hardwood forests which IMO really define the seasons along with the weather and whatnot.

I'm going to have to pay attention more often to this next time in in the Lowcountry. I'm having trouble placing a 'mentality' or 'perception' (for lack of a better term) of what Charlestonians and Lowcountry residents in general know or think they know about the Upstate.

It is interesting how the weather can differ sometimes. While our winters have almost disappeared, we do tend to have more of a four season schedule than most of the state. I noticed today the high in Gville was 57, but the high in Cola was 75. Even at 10:00 this evening it was 45 in Gville, and 66 in Cola! I agree spartan that the hardwoods and leaves also provide a significant visual representaion of the differences in weather.

Archived