How does the outside view Greenville?

While there may be some disappointments with some delayed projects, the very positive comments of visitors like these really outweigh the bad news for me. This shows we are on the right path.

Here is a brief entry from the blog of a young family who will soon be neighbors. They are moving to Greenville soon for a job at Michelin and decided to pay a visit to their new home.

http://cantgeteneff.blogspot.com/2008/04/t...enville-sc.html

And some street performers from Raleigh really liked what they saw while visiting last October.

http://streetlightproductionsraleigh.org/wordpress/?p=7

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While there may be some disappointments with some delayed projects, the very positive comments of visitors like these really outweigh the bad news for me. This shows we are on the right path.

Here is a brief entry from the blog of a young family who will soon be neighbors. They are moving to Greenville soon for a job at Michelin and decided to pay a visit to their new home.

http://cantgeteneff.blogspot.com/2008/04/t...enville-sc.html

And some street performers from Raleigh really liked what they saw while visiting last October.

http://streetlightproductionsraleigh.org/wordpress/?p=7

Both are very nice links. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing them with everyone. I agree with gsupstate about the impressive quotes by a Raleigh street performer when comparing the two cities. Heres just one of the quotes:
...In contrast to the outdoor library that is downtown Raleigh at night (shhh!), downtown Greenville on a Thursday night in late October was full of cars and pedestrians...

Don't know if this has been posted yet. The Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA) page is up for their July3rd to 6th convention here.

http://www.wing-ding.org/

They seem happy to be back. They were also here in 1995 and 2001. It has always been fun to have thousands of riders roaming through town before. I remember the Harley-Davidson and Gold Wing conventions from past years. Downtown is REALLY going to be busy the 4th of July. They expect 10,000 people in town this time.

"Just minutes away, Greenville's award-winning downtown has undergone revitalization as well. Always a visitor's delight-with its array of restaurants, art galleries, theaters and specialty boutiques-the West End district has added an incredible structure called the new Liberty Bridge that spans the scenic Reedy River Falls Historic Park and waterfalls. Other revitalization efforts include the Governor's School for the Arts and a new baseball stadium, West End Field, that is reminiscent of Fenway Park, and home to a fitting sculpture of one of Greenville's own-baseball legend Shoeless Joe Jackson. The area also has more than a thousand restaurants and nightspots.

"GWRRA Members will really enjoy the Greenville area, especially with its citywide improvements since our last visit there," says GWRRA's Executive Director, Melissa Eason. "Greenville citizens are excited to have us back, and I'm certain they will welcome us with the same warm, Southern hospitality they have in years past. We're also pleased to be back on the East Coast and look forward to the opportunity for more Members from that area of the country to be able to join us. So be sure to come help us wrap up a yearlong celebration of GWRRA's 30th anniversary at Wing Ding 30 in Greenville, South Carolina!"

Did anyone else notice the very nice article about Greenville in the current edition of Southern Living Magazine? It includes a few very nice photos as well. :shades:

I'll be sure to check it out at work tomorrow (hopefully, I'll have a chance to at lunch). I know we get the magazine there. I'm assuming it is the April issue and not the May one that has just come out.

• 3 weeks later...

A work peer of mine flew in two nights ago from Dusseldorf, and as I was returning home that night also, we hooked up in Atlanta and took the same flight on into GSP. This is his first time into Greenville. As we exited out the doors of the terminal (it was late night and had just rained), he said "Fresh". I looked at him for more meaning and he waved his hand at the grounds in front of GSP.

"Smells fresh....like a park". He smiled and I smiled, we both took a deep breath. :)

In his two days here, he has fallen in love with Greenville. I gave him the UP address, he may sign on when he returns home. I ask him to post his impressions.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week USAToday listed 51 great new summer destinations, and the Museum & Gallery at Heritage Green was the sole venue listed for South Carolina--with additional mention of the other museums on the Green...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destination...tinations_N.htm

The transformation of historic Greenville's downtown continues with this spring's opening of the Bob Jones University Museum & Gallery at Heritage Green, a rotating collection of European masters, antiquities, sculpture, biblical artifacts, decorative pieces and Russian icons. The new space is part of an expanding art scene at Heritage Green that includes the Greenville County Museum of Art, the new Upcountry History Museum, a community theater and the county library. Up next year: a children's museum. 864-770-1331; heritagegreensc.com

Last week USAToday listed 51 great new summer destinations, and the Museum & Gallery at Heritage Green was the sole venue listed for South Carolina--with additional mention of the other museums on the Green...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destination...tinations_N.htm

The transformation of historic Greenville's downtown continues with this spring's opening of the Bob Jones University Museum & Gallery at Heritage Green, a rotating collection of European masters, antiquities, sculpture, biblical artifacts, decorative pieces and Russian icons. The new space is part of an expanding art scene at Heritage Green that includes the Greenville County Museum of Art, the new Upcountry History Museum, a community theater and the county library. Up next year: a children's museum. 864-770-1331; heritagegreensc.com

That's a great idea about a Heritage Green pass for all the museums. Soon there will be 4 (though the Art museum is free). It does seem like a great way to spend the afternoon museum hopping and spending time under those beautiful old trees. What's missing at HG?

I think some places to grab some food would be necessary if you want people to spend extended periods of time in the area without using their car.

I saw that last week. Heritage Green is such a unique facility. It's great that, even after the Women's College moved to TR, that the location remained a center of learning.

As an open air suggestion for the parties that be, I wish that you could get one ticket for the History Musuem and the Bob Jones Gallery. As it is, both cost $5 apiece for entry. I understand the need to have a base price for upkeep and to keep folks from just loitering around the museums, but I wish you could buy a Heritage Green pass for those two musuems and for the Children's Museum as well. It could be a great way place to take the family for an all day Saturday kind of event, instead of just visiting them one at a time.

It would be great if an IMAX theater could open somewhere near there as well.

Yes, that has definitely been brought up among the Heritage Green partners and I think will become a reality at some point in the future. I'm sure that the Children's Museum will have to open up first. Working out a satisfactory system among all the parties will be the trick. The other museums not at Heritage Green will have to be considered as well (Confederate Museum, American Legion War Museum, and Greenville Cultural Exchange Center). Even though they aren't part of the Green, they deserve to have the advertisement/benefit of a group sale. (BTW--$5 admission at the Museum & Gallery at Heritage Green will also get you in to the campus museum at BJU for free).

I don't think we need to feel obligated to include all museums in the "museum pass." Just the major ones would suffice for 98.3% of all museum goers. Restricting it to those museums at Heritage Green seems like the best idea to me. People can still go to the smaller museums like the American Legion War Museum if they wish, just not with the pass.

I definitely agree with GvilleSC about the need for some food options. I have studied at the Hughes Library at Heritage Green on several occasions, and there is not really anywhere convenient to get food. They do have the coffee shop on the ground floor of the library (which I have not checked out yet), but most people in other parts of Heritage Green likely don't know about it. Plus, the library currently allows no food and drink inside the building. Unless you go to the coffee shop, you must get in your car, pay the parking fee, and drive somewhere nearby to get food. That's ridiculous when you're camped out in the library trying to work/study.

I really wish the BB&T building could be razed to make way for a quality, urban mixed-use development. IMAX could certainly be a part of it, as could some condos, ground-floor retail, and restaurant/deli options. Such a project would go a long way toward fueling the Pete Hollis area's revitalization as well. :thumbsup:

DING DING DING We have a winner! This wouldn't just be tremendous for HG, but also for people coming into downtown from this direction! A building to tie in with the fountains and the surrounding area. What about an ICON building that could be seen from Rutherford Rd, Buncombe, and Poinsett Highway? A sort of "Welcome to Greenville", from the Mountains.

I've been hoping for demolition of that awful BB&T building for a long time. Its use of the land makes no sense to me. It's like its own little island with no desire for outside contact. :sick: Something mixed use and large would be ideal!

I agree with the call for residential as a component. Besides the surrounding neighborhood houses, there's no residential aspect in the area to dump people on the streets and demand retail and food. Though we haven't seen the plans or details for the Gateway site, a complementing development on this 'sister' site would be great. :good:

^ Think it has to do with getting the area pedestrian friendly, since this will be an area to be used by pedestrians, as opposed to just a fountain to look pretty for cars that pass by. Noticed this past weekend that work is continuing. A new crosswalk directly to the fountain from Heritage Green has been added and there are poles/arms up for stoplights (for this pedestrian only crossing) as well as the new poles/arms for the stoplights at the intersection.

Well, I like the BB&T building. It is unique. And considering that the Gateway site has been empty now for 10 years, it is a good thing that the similarly situated BB&T site is in use. The busy roads on either side of BB&T will always isolate it to some extent.

It would be easier to revelop the parking lot for AT&T into a mixed use development. That might help create a link between Main Street and Heritage Green.

Both sites are important (At&t and BB&T) to the connection of Heritage Green to Main Street, but also to establish HG as a destination.

While the BB&T building is unique, it's a waste of space considering the desire for the area to not only become a pedestrian friendly zone, but also a destination. The BB&T building offers no ground level retail/restaurant/experience. Some or most employees and visitors park on-site which means it is generating ZERO pedestrian activity to entice the development of businesses in the surrounding area, and its use as ONLY office space means that people MAY venture outside the building for an hour each day (other than walking to and from their cars).

The potential for the site is not at all being near fulfillment.

That's just my two cents.

I guess this is a positive recommendation:)

http://www.thenewstribune.com/adventure/tr...ory/363719.html

Greenville is named on a list of America's great "tiny" towns in the travel section of the Spokane, WA paper. A reprint of a story from the Orange Co., California paper.

Isn't Spokane about the same size as Greenville urban area wise - LOL

Great find! Thanks. Yeah, I believe the city population of Spokane is larger, but the metro is smaller. I love Spokane....one of those great intermountain, PAC NW cities!

Liked this line form the snippet:

While other medium-size Southern cities look like they

• 5 weeks later...

Archived