How does the outside view Greenville?

It is safe to say Mr. Elliott was "blown away."

It was a little funny to see him use the "sleepy mill village" description of Greenville of 10 years ago. That hasn't really been true for the last 50 years.

The main difference is Falls Park and the bridge and Riverplace. It just proves how much conceptual improvement they caused.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

"Rich culture, great food, low stress. Who wouldn't want to call these affordable cities home?"

That is the comment at the top of a lifestyle page on AARP Magazine's official website. The organization has ranked the top five "best places to live the simple life" and Greenville is their pick for #2 in the U.S. Tucson, Arizona, was picked #1 overall. :)

The link to this article was posted on another forum. Thought I would add it hear. A glowing article on Greenville from one of the Chicago newspapers. One of the best articles I've seen to date. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/hoekstr...tours09.article

WOW, indeed! That's definitely one of the better articles about Greenville! This thread is definitely a favorite of mine...

• 2 weeks later...

"Rich culture, great food, low stress. Who wouldn't want to call these affordable cities home?"

That is the comment at the top of a lifestyle page on AARP Magazine's official website. The organization has ranked the top five "best places to live the simple life" and Greenville is their pick for #2 in the U.S. Tucson, Arizona, was picked #1 overall. :)

I did not know there was a video on this but I did a search and here is a link to it. It does show some excellent shots of Greenville, the DT, and the mountains (with Fall color). Definitely a positive review! :thumbsup:

I did not know there was a video on this but I did a search and here is a link to it. It does show some excellent shots of Greenville, the DT, and the mountains (with Fall color). Definitely a positive review! :thumbsup:

This was a nice video - thanks for sharing! Just watching the clips, I was struck by how much larger Greenville seemed than the other places (which makes sense, because it is). Places like Logan, UT, Ames, IA, and Montpelier, VT are not close to being on the same level as Greenville. Tucson seems to be of comparable size when you look at the metro areas, but you couldn't tell based on the scenery they chose for Tucson. Overall, they showed some great images of Greenville and captured the essence of our city quite well. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I got to talking to some BC fans at the Clemson game on Saturday. The man, from Boston, had been down to a previous Clemson/BC matchup and fell in love with Greenville. In their words: he "sweats" Greenville. Since then, he has been back once for business and gone to a Drive game, and now back again with the rest of his family. Despite the game and weather, they were all looking forward to getting to Greenville for the rest of the weekend to explore. :thumbsup:

I'm down with people "sweating" Greenville. (I had to actually ask what that meant... :whistling: )

I got to talking to some BC fans at the Clemson game on Saturday. The man, from Boston, had been down to a previous Clemson/BC matchup and fell in love with Greenville. In their words: he "sweats" Greenville. Since then, he has been back once for business and gone to a Drive game, and now back again with the rest of his family. Despite the game and weather, they were all looking forward to getting to Greenville for the rest of the weekend to explore. :thumbsup:

I'm down with people "sweating" Greenville. (I had to actually ask what that meant... :whistling: )

:lol: Love it!

Here is another satisfied customer.

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?a...281474977752769

They happened to stop in Greenville last year and were so impressed with the beauty of Falls Park that they made a point to come back back this year for a couple of nights at the Westin Poinsett while on their way to Gatlinburg and back. I think this lady and her husband are from Pennsylvania and now retired and living in Myrtle Beach.

Several photo threads and seven short videos included for this year. Also links to photo threads from last year's visit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This comment from one of the decision makers with Proterra shows what a vibrant, attractive downtown scene can mean -

Hill and Granato were impressed with Greenville’s downtown during the negotiations leading up to Thursday’s press conference.

“I’ve lived in Atlanta and Charlotte,” said Granato. “But really didn’t know much about South Carolina. I can tell you now that it feels like home to me now. I can’t wait to get back to High Cotton (a downtown restaurant) for more of their pecan pie.”

This wasn't the main reason. But it was a plus somewhere down the list.

http://www.journalwatchdog.com/business/513-proterra-makes-it-official

CNBC.com includes Greenville as #6 - America's Top Places For Boomer's To Retire

As the article mentions: "... with the Boomer generation .... Unlike their parents and the generations before them, Boomers are increasingly willing to relocate upon retirement, and their choices of locations are becoming more active, youthful and far-removed from the stereotypical retirement spots ... For individuals looking to retire in the next 5-10 years, Lynch suggests an interesting strategy: "Start looking at places where you'd go on vacation ..."

Archived