How does the outside view Greenville?

Jeanne Gang, leader of Studio Gang Architects and designer of Greenville's Blue Wall Center and Reedy Square, has been named a 2011 MacArthur Fellow. The exciting thing about this is that every time she and her firm receive acknowledgement and awards, Greenville's name is right there with her. You can check out this link here: http://www.macfound.org/site/c.lkLXJ8MQKrH/b.7730959/k.848E/Jeanne_Gang.htm Where some of her works are mentioned, "Greenville, SC" is right there in the mix. SO COOL!

Now, if someone will come forward with some extra dough and get Reedy Square's fundraising completed, that project will also be listed (along with the many awards it is bound to receive for design).

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenville landed the #9 spot on Forbes "America's Best Downtowns" list. Definitely great coverage for the city, but I was puzzled by the fact that in the slideshow, they talk about how there are lots of people are walking and shopping downtown, yet they choose a picture of Main Street where things are eerily quiet (my guess is that it's Sunday morning). Nevertheless, good to get a mention.

Greenville landed the #9 spot on Forbes "America's Best Downtowns" list. Definitely great coverage for the city, but I was puzzled by the fact that in the slideshow, they talk about how there are lots of people are walking and shopping downtown, yet they choose a picture of Main Street where things are eerily quiet (my guess is that it's Sunday morning). Nevertheless, good to get a mention.

I thought you meant it was a sidewalk shot devoid of people. But, of cars, that's equally weird! I've never seen either actually, but it's interesting to be able to see that FAR unobstructed!

They have the city population listed as 686,986. Is that the MSA or just a typo?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is old or not, but the date says "last updated April 5, 2012"...

CNN Money's list of the nation's 10 fastest growing cities: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/real_estate/1204/gallery.US-Cities/index.html

Greenville made the list at number 9, with a growth rate of 32.5%. There's mentioning of the large international investment here, and even a nod to Spartanburg and Anderson as the make-up of the Upstate. Nice picture of Falls Park, too.

• 2 weeks later...

^ That was her quote from the video on iwasblownaway.com. She has been in Greenville numerous times as part of the BMW Charity Pro-Am, but I don't know if she owns a residence in the area.

Here are a couple nice comments from a MLB scout referring to Fluor Field and Greenville.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=mlb_draft&id=7809776&_slug_=scouting-red-sox-rangers-prospects-mlb-draft&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fblog%3fname%3dmlb_draft%26id%3d7809776%26_slug_%3dscouting-red-sox-rangers-prospects-mlb-draft

[...] my first visit to Fluor Field, one of the nicest minor league ballparks I've seen. It's located right in a revitalized downtown area, not far from a row of bars and restaurants that was still busy at 10:30 that evening.

A suburb checking out a mid-sized city for revitalization ideas...okay. I don't see many similarities, but nonetheless I'm glad city leaders from Roswell enjoyed their visit and came away with some good ideas.

Yeah, I don't really get it. I live in Roswell and its "core" is pretty darn small and is easily missed; I think city leaders would have done better to check out Rome, GA which is smaller and has a really nice core (reminds me of Greenville's in a few ways).

• 4 weeks later...

You sure have been getting worked up over little things lately. Still not sure why. If it's because you can't bash Columbia anymore and make the rest of us look bad on that other forum then that's a really low and stupid reason if you ask me. Personally, I have no problem with this show at all. I know several people that fish and hunt. A lot of them are very knowledgable when it comes to wildlife. These girls don't look like the poor and ugly rednecks people love to stereotype with either IMO. I might have to tune in and watch for myself.

If they are as energetic and personable as they are attractive it could be very good for Greenville's image indeed.

Perhaps, but doesn't seem likely. The show seems to feed into the typical SC stereotype of mud covered trucks, camo gear, guns and huntin (g left off on purpose). This doesn't seem to the level of Garden and Gun magazine, which elevates the South and celebrates the South.....even with tongue and cheek name. This new show simply seems (I hate to say this), redneck.

Perhaps, but doesn't seem likely. The show seems to feed into the typical SC stereotype of mud covered trucks, camo gear, guns and huntin (g left off on purpose). This doesn't seem to the level of Garden and Gun magazine, which elevates the South and celebrates the South.....even with tongue and cheek name. This new show simply seems (I hate to say this), redneck.

This could fit the large Bassmasters/NASCAR/"Country" music crowd, which I don't relate to very well. We'll just have to wait and see how they portray the Upstate, if it is even noticeable. I'm not worried about it at this point.

Turner South had some unique and interesting reality shows that highlighted rural Southern culture at its best — and worst. I honestly enjoyed more than a few of those shows and was very disappointed when the channel was bought by FOX and changed to FSS.

Your intentional use of the word "huntin'" reminded me of Huntin' Camp BBQ near The Cliffs Valley on U.S. 25. Last time I visited the place for lunch, I saw no less than four luxury automobiles from four different states parked side-by-side below the front porch. The interior is simply decorated on the rustic huntin' camp lodge theme, which perfectly compliments the country-style homemade food.

Archived