How does the outside view Greenville?

Not sure if this belongs here, but it's a NYT article about the Verdae development that also includes some familiar discussion of Greenville's revitalization: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/realestate/commercial/verdae-a-community-takes-shape-in-greenville-sc.html?_r=1

Incidentally, I've heard that developer's requests to be listed as a TND with The Town Paper (http://www.tndtownpaper.com/neighborhoods.htm) have been denied because the development is only partially new urbanist, something I've seen others comment on in these forums.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incidentally, I've heard that developer's requests to be listed as a TND with The Town Paper (http://www.tndtownpa...ighborhoods.htm) have been denied because the development is only partially new urbanist, something I've seen others comment on in these forums.

Hollingsworth Park should be, but probably not the ENTIRE Verdae development.

One of my really good friends who's a native and current resident of Lancaster recently took a trip to downtown Greenville. He asked if I'd ever been and was raving about Falls Park in particular. The bridge and the falls really made an impression on him, as they seem to do for any and everybody who visits for the first time.

One of my really good friends who's a native and current resident of Lancaster recently took a trip to downtown Greenville. He asked if I'd ever been and was raving about Falls Park in particular. The bridge and the falls really made an impression on him, as they seem to do for any and everybody who visits for the first time.

Had he ever been to Greenville before? I find it interesting to find out who has been before and re-visited, and who has never stepped foot in the upstate? With any South Carolinian, I never take it for granted that they have been in the Upstate, or Greenville in particular.

Had he ever been to Greenville before? I find it interesting to find out who has been before and re-visited, and who has never stepped foot in the upstate? With any South Carolinian, I never take it for granted that they have been in the Upstate, or Greenville in particular.

Yes, he's been to Greenville before but I'm not sure when he was last downtown. I typically find that outside of Charleston, South Carolinians don't really make it a point to check out downtown just for the sake of doing so in the SC city they're visiting.

But you have a point about not taking it for granted that some South Carolinians haven't really spent time in Greenville, especially those who reside in the Lowcountry. I read elsewhere about a longtime SC resident, having lived in the Charleston area for several years and Columbia the past few years, having only gotten around to spending time in Greenville rather recently.

• 7 months later...

A friend of mine drove his family from North Carolina (Triad area) to visit the Upstate this weekend and then posted the following comment on a popular social networking site: "We had a wonderful "24-hour Vacation" to Greenville, SC, which, by-the-way, has one of the coolest downtowns in the nation...and I'm not exaggerating. The downtown is amazing!"

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Charlotte Five (a subset of the Observer that targets millennials) did a write up on Greenville in today's issue. Keep in mind, this isn't intended to be a formal magazine and in-depth journalism. It's supposed to read like a friend is telling you what's up. 

http://www.charlottefive.com/beyond-frank-underwoods-hometown-is-your-greenville-reprieve/

Just read an interesting article about Greenville in the Charlotte Business Journal, Please do not put to much into this. I'm just relaying what I read.

Did this Carolinas city just outpace Banktown in financial-sector job growth?

Charlotte may be known to locals as Banktown, but when it comes to job growth in the banking and finance sector since the depths of the recession, some will be surprised to find the country's second-largest financial center is not the top-ranked city in the Carolinas.

That distinction goes to Greenville, S.C., which took the No. 1 spot nationally with a five-year growth rate of almost 20 percent in the financial-sector employment, according to numbers crunched by selfstorage.com.

Here is the article in its entirety:   http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/bank_notes/2015/07/did-this-carolinas-city-just-outpace-banktown-in.html

I just didn't know there was that much going on. Well I can believe that number given has taken a hit, with the Certus Bank closing. 

Archived