How does the outside view Greenville?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really think Georgia has a "Low Country" they call it the Coastal Empire, everything else inland I think is just Georgia, lol. I've never heard anyone from there refer to it as low country. I believe SC has that one all to our own.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Lowcountry is used as more of a cultural term in GA than a regional one. The area of SC and GA that is mostly marshes and islands (from Georgetown to the Florida line) is basicly where that name comes from and referrs to. I stayed at a place below Savannah one time and they served some Lowcountry Stew. That was some good eatin' :)

• 5 weeks later...

I have been reading posts in the regional and national areas of this forum, as well as in other forums like Skyscraper City and Skyscraper Page. It seems that cities are thought of in tiers. In the South, cities like Atlanta and Charlotte are in tier 1. Birmingham, Louisville, and Richmond are in tier 2. Greenville, Columbia, and Chattanooga are in tier 3. Asheville and Savannah are in tier 4. These tiers seem to be mostly based on population, but also other factors.

People who are familiar with Greenville tend to consider the city to be a "nice mid-sized city." Most point to the downtown revitalization as impressive, but many also dislike the city and talk about its sprawl. With Greenville being in the process of what I consider to be an unprecedented facelift, how do we want people to view our city? What are our strengths and weaknesses, and how do we want to be seen? How much flexibility does the city have in molding its future?

I really want to hear people's thoughts on this. Hopefully we can get a nice multiple-page thread going with positive input from many posters.

I will go first, since I started this topic. :)

Strengths:

-We have left our "textile capital of the world" identity behind (a good thing) and created a new identity (an international city which has been able to recruit high-end manufacturing, as well as a city quickly becoming a force in the automotive world)

-Our current projects seem to be unrivaled in most other cities our size, as well as in many cities larger than Greenville (is this an accurate statement?)

-There is great interest in our downtown, which is key for the continued development of a city (it draws people and businesses to the area)

-Close to Atlanta and Charlotte (our proximity to these cities has certainly enhanced Greenville's economic development)

Weaknesses:

-The image, whether accurate or not, that Greenville is very conservative and not very progressive as a city/metro area

-The association some people make with Bob Jones University (this is not meant to offend those who went to Bob Jones, but it is important to point it out since some outsiders view it negatively)

-Sprawl

-Close to Atlanta and Charlotte (also a weakness, in that we are sort of living in their shadows)

I am sure there are other strengths and weaknesses, but these are the first that popped into my head. I don't know if Greenville will ever jump up to being considered equal to tier 2 cities like Richmond and Birmingham (does Greenville even want that?). What I hope we don't lose is the uniqueness of our city. There is a charm about Greenville that I miss every time I am away, and I can't be the only one who sees that.

Not to but a damper on the thread, but I was just browsing through a religious magazine distributed nationally which spoke of a large church in Greenville which has managed to form a multicultural congregation in spite of Greenville being a "bastion of racial division." I know the city has had its fair share of negative press regarding such issues (MLK Holiday, interracial dating @ BJU), but I'm not sure I would go so far as to say that the city is a "bastion of racial division." Thoughts?

I can offer a perspective on this. I am white, and my girlfriend is Indian. When we are downtown, people are very friendly to us. People look our direction, in a positive way. Smiles and even comments such as "you two are such a handsome couple" occur frequently.

I was a bit surprised by these positive and enthusiastic reactions. Not that I was expecting people to look at us strangely, because I wasn't, but it is certainly nice to see that people think our relationship is a good one.

Greenville is certainly conservative politically, but people shouldn't equate that with racism, discrimination, and closed-mindedness. Sure, you can go to rural areas outside the city and find that, but that is no different from rural areas outside of any other city in the US.

One final remark: what are we supposed to do with the negative press regarding Bob Jones's stances and the MLK holiday? It's not like either of those things speaks for the opinions of Greenville residents. BJU is a private school that happens to be in our city, and the MLK holiday was voted on by a handful of people on the county council. It is unfortunate that these things are assumed to be endorsed by our entire metro (or even a significant portion of it). After all, I don't consider Birmingham people to be racist based on the history there, or people in Waco to be Branch Davidians and followers of David Koresh.

I think another strength is the art scene here in Greenville.

Performance arts are strong with the Peace Center, Greenville Little Theatre, Warehouse Theatre, Shakespeare in the Park, All the free music during the week, and of course the Governor's School. You can tack on the Handlebar, Bi-Lo Center and some of the smaller venues too.

Visual arts are also strong with the Greenville Art Museum, which has a very large (if not the largest) Andrew Wyeth collection. Also, the Bob Jones Museum as well as all of the Galleries opening in the West End. Don't forget "Art in the Park" and Artisphere.

I thought that Greenville finally approved the MLK holiday?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe they did, but it will be stuck in some folks' memories for a little while. I don't think Greenville deserves as much bad press as it sometimes gets in matters such as these. I just hope they can get the A.J. Whittenberg school situation resolved that will make all involved parties happy.

So how do we move ourselves into a tier 2 city, along the lines of Birmingham, Richmond, etc.? Is that possible, and do people want that for Greenville?

Are we truly developing at a faster rate right now than many of the cities "ahead" of us, or does it just seem like it since we live in Greenville?

Georgia?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, I lived in Georgia for a long time and never heard anyone use the term "lowcountry" unless they were from South Carolina. Spartan is right, its either North Georgia or South Georgia or "the coast" for areas like Savannah or Brunswick. The area around Augusta is call the CSRA. Central Savannah River Area...but unless you are from that area you wouldnt know that probably.

Are we truly developing at a faster rate right now than many of the cities "ahead" of us, or does it just seem like it since we live in Greenville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you guys truly are. For example, I started the "Chattanooga vs. Greenville" thread in The Southern USA forum, and nothing was posted in the way of present economic/urban development in Chattanooga. Other similarly-sized cities in the South would be Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham, Augusta, Columbus, Fayetteville (NC), and Jackson (MS). While I know that a few of them are experiencing significant development, none of them quite have the momentum that Greenville has right now. I think the closest out of this bunch would be Greensboro, which is just recently recapturing somewhat of an active nightlife, whereas Greenville has had it for a while with the success of Main Street.

I think you guys truly are. For example, I started the "Chattanooga vs. Greenville" thread in The Southern USA forum, and nothing was posted in the way of present economic/urban development in Chattanooga. Other similarly-sized cities in the South would be Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham, Augusta, Columbus, Fayetteville (NC), and Jackson (MS). While I know that a few of them are experiencing significant development, none of them quite have the momentum that Greenville has right now. I think the closest out of this bunch would be Greensboro, which is just recently recapturing somewhat of an active nightlife, whereas Greenville has had it for a while with the success of Main Street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greensboro has something going on the South Side over there that I'd love to see in the West End here...urban residential REDEVELOPMENT mixed with new residential development. I believe their ballpark is what put the spurs to things for Greensboro. I can forsee the same thing happening in the West End here. :thumbsup:

See the following threads:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13682

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13683

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13684

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13685

We are fairly even with Columbia and Charleston right now in terms of size, although each of the three are obviously very different in feel (Greenville with economics, Columbia with government, and Charleston with tourism and the beach). I think we have a good chance of becoming the frontrunner, and becoming the premier city in SC, for several reasons:

-Our economic foundation is a stable one (as opposed to tourism). The companies we have attracted are solid ones (Michelin, BMW, Bowater, etc.) and more solid ones are on the way with ICAR (Microsoft, IBM, etc.). That makes for a very bright future.

-Our downtown is already stellar, and better than many cities larger than ours. That seems to fuel development in the suburbs as well, and makes people want to move here.

-Our development projects are occuring at an amazing rate.

-Our location between Atlanta and Charlotte along the I-85 corridor is excellent.

The other two big cities in SC are certainly growing, but my biased opinion is that Greenville is definitely the south's rising star. :)

Greensboro has something going on the South Side over there that I'd love to see in the West End here...urban residential REDEVELOPMENT mixed with new residential development.  I believe their ballpark is what put the spurs to things for Greensboro.  I can forsee the same thing happening in the West End here.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, those are really cool, and are in close proximity to downtown. I like the "modern historical" architecture too, that's something you don't see everyday. The new ballpark really helps too. I still say that the momentum in Greenville is unmatched by other cities of similar size.

We are fairly even with Columbia and Charleston right now in terms of size, although each of the three are obviously very different in feel (Greenville with economics, Columbia with government, and Charleston with tourism and the beach).  I think we have a good chance of becoming the frontrunner, and becoming the premier city in SC, for several reasons:

-Our economic foundation is a stable one (as opposed to tourism).  The companies we have attracted are solid ones (Michelin, BMW, Bowater, etc.) and more solid ones are on the way with ICAR (Microsoft, IBM, etc.).  That makes for a very bright future.

-Our downtown is already stellar, and better than many cities larger than ours.  That seems to fuel development in the suburbs as well, and makes people want to move here.

-Our development projects are occuring at an amazing rate.

-Our location between Atlanta and Charlotte along the I-85 corridor is excellent.

The other two big cities in SC are certainly growing, but my biased opinion is that Greenville is definitely the south's rising star. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All of those are great points, and could indeed propel Greenville to the forefront, at least in SC. I feel that the Big Three in SC will be on equal footing for years to come. I actually like it like that. It kind of reminds me of Ohio's "Big 3," Cleveland, Cinicinnati, and Columbus. At least we know that a Georgia situation is FAR from happening in SC, where one city dominants the state in just about everything.

As far as urban development, I think things are happening at a rate roughly equal to that of Columbia. This is largely true of economic development as well; I think Greenville has the edge in having carved out a high-end manufacturing niche for itself though. However, state government and USC aren't going anywhere, and the same probably holds true for Ft. Jackson. With the advent of the research campus in Columbia and ICAR in Greenville, both cities will really feed off each other. Charleston will continue to be the beautiful place it has always been, and I believe the medical technology and (yet-to-be-solidified) aeronautical industries will also be major feathers in the city's cap. The synergy in the state will be awesome in years to come.

• 1 month later...

I disagree with this. I think that Charleston does have it dropped in some cases, and will in all cases eventually, and mostly because of its history whcih adds to its repuation. There arent that many people that acutally know that Charleston, WV exists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know this is an old thread and an old post, but when I read the following article in The State, I couldn't help but think about this comment.

Officials confuse Charlestons

Archived