How does the outside view Greenville?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am from Fayetteville I and will be the first to tell you that it kinda sucks but thats hometown but not where I want to settle. My choice was Charlotte from the first time I went there. Greensboro would be my second choice. I have breezed thought Greenville and can't give an honest post on it. However I have been to other parts of SC and actually stayed for a while and I will say the thing you guys need the most is patience. I would have never imagined the growth NC went through. Now I don't hesitate to say I from NC or the Carolinas. Although some of my friends are from SC and we go through the whos the better Carolina but its all love because we have a unique spot in the south because both our states are dynamic and many people envy that. What two states can proclaim the amount of cooperation, history and great location. I have never thought bad of SC. I know it gets a bad rap in the media. The media doesn't and never tells the whole story when it comes to the south. So don't dwell on this too much because only good things happen to places that invest for the future and SC is doing that right now. Watch out BOWASH because there will be an urban corridor from GSP/COLA to the Triangle in the distant future.

There is alot of truth to that. People assume alot about SC, but when they get here they see its not true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are so right! I was out earlier today, taking care of a little business downtown, when I ran into into a group of people. They didn't seem like the touristy type, no cameras. They were looking around, like this was not suppose to be here. So I ask

could I help them. They said that they were from louisiana (evacuees) and had no idea that Greenville, let alone, SC would be like this. And we are not talkin' about folk fron NO. These are rural people. They had heard the stories and were thinking that, like everybody else, they were going to a little backwater town that they knew they wouldn't like. But they were pleasantly suprised.

You are so right! I was out earlier today, taking care of a little business downtown, when I ran into into a group of people. They didn't seem like the touristy type, no cameras. They were looking around, like this was not suppose to be here. So I ask

could I help them. They said that they were from louisiana (evacuees) and had no idea that Greenville, let alone, SC would be like this. And we are not talkin' about folk fron NO. These are rural people. They had heard the stories and were thinking that, like everybody else, they were going to a little backwater town that they knew they wouldn't like. But they were pleasantly suprised.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That reaction wouldn't surprise me coming from someone out West or North, but RURAL LOUISIANA? The same impression (of their area) would be expected from someone from here going there.

It just goes to show you that if you haven't experience someplace for yourself, you really can't judge it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's interesting. I'm not sure why other folks think that many places in the South, and specifically South Carolina, is the "land that time forgot." Perhaps for our legislature, but not for our cities! LOL

I think it is Northern California and not upstate California.  Virginia is out also, as it is Northern Virginia.

What about upstate Illinois?  I have definitely heard of people discuss "downstate" Illinois, as in Urbana-Champaign.  But I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean there is an upstate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no upstate Illinois. You're either in the Chicago area (Chicagoland) or downstate. Even if you're northwest of Chicago (such as Rockford) you live downstate. It drives some people crazy, but what are you going to do about so many years of tradition. :P

Some friends from northern West Virginia (Morgantown, for those who have heard of it, is about an hour from Pittsburgh) visited over the weekend, and were very pleasantly surprised by Greenville and our downtown. They remarked that it seemed to have all the plusses of a big city while maintaining small town charm. They also commented on how friendly everyone seemed and how, judging from all the folks they saw downtown, we seemed to have a "good mix" of people here.

Some friends from northern West Virginia (Morgantown, for those who have heard of it, is about an hour from Pittsburgh) visited over the weekend, and were very pleasantly surprised by Greenville and our downtown. They remarked that it seemed to have all the plusses of a big city while maintaining small town charm. They also commented on how friendly everyone seemed and how, judging from all the folks they saw downtown, we seemed to have a "good mix" of people here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chalk up another one for Greenville. :thumbsup: I will never get tired of hearing these types of stories. :wub:

• 6 months later...

I was inspired to write this post after reading Rested Traveler's posts in the Colorado Forum. I just moved back to Gville from Colo Spgs last summer after living there for two years. It is a beautiful city, and it's geographical features are hard to beat anywhere in the US. I have a few thoughts on this topic, and I apologize if I get a little lengthy.

Unfortunately, many people have prejudices toward southerners, and towards the South in general. Many people I met tried to imitate my accent (I have a very mild accent to begin with), or pushed me to say words like "ya'll", "fixin", or "ain't", just for a laugh. (Actually I noticed many of them said "ya'll" as well without even realizing it) Forrest Gump was brought up quite a few times, and as good as that movie and even Sling Blade are, they kinda give the South an unfair reputation. Many people really do still think we all live in half-rotted trailers, marry our family members, and wear rebel flags all the time. Southerners are one of the last groups that it is ok to be prjudiced against, which I find interesting since one of the reasons those people are prejudiced against us is because they think we are all prejudiced.

However, through all of this, I did meet some really good friends, and I think some of their misconceptions about people from the South may have been flattened a little. I was surprised at hoe many people had been to SC before. Myrtle Beach was the city most people came up with when I mentioned SC, which surprised me. I would have thought that Charleston would havebeen the most well know with it's history but it wasn't. Most people didn't even know that Columbia was the capital or had heard of it. Hilton Head was much more well-known than I would have thought. I was also surprised a thow many peole had been to the upstate. I worked with one girl whoose grandparents currently live in Simpsonville, so she has been here several times. Another lady lived in Clemson a couple years ago as a traveling therapist. A nusrse I wiorked with said she and her husband are planning on retireing in Gville. I also met a man who lived in Gville back in the fifties and had a lot of fond memories of the place. Several others knew about Furman. Most people who had been here said they thought SC is very pretty and loved all the greenery and trees (remember Colo Spgs is almost desert-like). But most people really hadn't heard about the upstate or knew much about SC. They usually got Cola, Charleston, and Charlotte all mixed up and had no idea which went where.

The South still has a long wayto go in getting respect of the rest of the country. But most who have been here seem to appreciate the history and beauty. Interestingly they seem to think it is us, the people that is the biggest turn off.

That was a most interesting post distortedlogic. Thank you for sharing.

I have never lived outside the South, but from traveling outside the South, I could definitely relate to everything you said.

So many of the posters here think that everyone has heard of Columbia and Greenville, but most people have no clue outside the deep South. Many outsiders also consider, mentally at least, that 'Carolina' is one state. Therefore, SC gets the blame for Jesse Helms, and I'm sure NC gets credit for Strom Thurmond as well.

It doesn't surprise me though, that MB is more known that Charleston. Many people don't know the history of their own state, much less one 1-2 thousand miles away. MB gets a lot more tourists than Charleston too.

As far as Forrest Grump goes, I would say that I can live with that one. At least it was a great movie, and who could love F.G. and his mother (Sally Field) in that movie. 'Dukes of Hazzard' and the like are what I wish would just go away.

Did anybody happen to see the Photo Gallery on the Greenville News/Upstate Link web site recently, "A Canadian's View of Greenville?" It doesn't include many photos, but it does cut through the noise that those of us who live here are used to and give you some sense of exactly what things about Greenville leave a lasting impression with most visitors.

CLICK HERE to see the gallery.

Me being a follow Southerner (Alabama), I view Greenville as a very unique place. It has the feel of a large city, but the size of a mid-sized town. In a size comparision Greenville is about the same size at Tuscalossa, but has are CSA population compared with Birmingham. However, I did noticed how densely populated G'vill County is and very impressed considering Greenville's size. I could see Greenville one day moving up to the Tier 2 cities like Birmingham, Richmond, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Jacksonville.

Me being a follow Southerner (Alabama), I view Greenville as a very unique place. It has the feel of a large city, but the size of a mid-sized town. In a size comparision Greenville is about the same size at Tuscalossa, but has are CSA population compared with Birmingham. However, I did noticed how densely populated G'vill County is and very impressed considering Greenville's size. I could see Greenville one day moving up to the Tier 2 cities like Birmingham, Richmond, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Jacksonville.

Thanks for that Leonard23! :thumbsup: I grew up in Birmingham and make it back there often. It's really a city that has done well and it will always be a special place to me. :)

I can tell you, everything about the Greenville metro feels Tier 2 already. It's just the deceiving city limits / population.

A great little "how the outside views Greenville" note. Got my hair cut today in Poinsett Corners in a new place.....Domenico. The guy that owns it, Domenico, is Italian. He moved to the US several years ago to DC and opened a salon there in Georgetown. His daughter moved to the Charlotte area with her job and he came to visit about about 6 months ago. While down visiting he came through Greenville and spent a day downtown. He fell in love! Loved the European feel and thought downtown felt like Georgetown. Long story short, after visiting Greenville he sold his DC salon, moved here about three months ago and opened his salon in Poinsett Corners. Hearing him talk about his impression of Greenville made my day, my week, my month!!!!! Priceless! :D

A great little "how the outside views Greenville" note. Got my hair cut today in Poinsett Corners in a new place.....Domenico. The guy that owns it, Domenico, is Italian. He moved to the US several years ago to DC and opened a salon there in Georgetown. His daughter moved to the Charlotte area with her job and he came to visit about about 6 months ago. While down visiting he came through Greenville and spent a day downtown. He fell in love! Loved the European feel and thought downtown felt like Georgetown. Long story short, after visiting Greenville he sold his DC salon, moved here about three months ago and opened his salon in Poinsett Corners. Hearing him talk about his impression of Greenville made my day, my week, my month!!!!! Priceless! :D

Thanks for sharing gsupstate! :yahoo:

That IS good to hear gsupstate. I have a another account of something I have recently heard. I was talking to a guy a couple months ago who had moved from Grand Rapids, MI for job reasons. He looked to be in his twenties. He mentioned that GR (a city that it often compared to Gville) "is not quite as big as this", but that he gets frustrated that everything is so slow here. He always wants to tell people to hurry up and get going. He said that makes a big difference and he was having a tough time with that. This brings up something I have never really understood:

What do people mean when they talk about a slow pace. This is another one of those misconceptions about the South. I can understand in a tiny town like Pickens or something, but not in more motropolitan areas. So when people say slow pace, do they mean how fast people drive, how involved people are, the technology, how people talk, what? My guess is that they mean all of that, but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't think people in Gville drive any slower than anyone else in the country (escecially on I85) unless the speed limit is just lower. I don't think think there is any less technology, or involvement. My fiancee' (whom I met and brought back from Coloado Springs and grew up in CA) also talks about the slow pace here, but I have never been able to get her to define it, she cannot put it into words. What do you guys think, is "slow pace" just a stereotype of the South left-over from the days of Andy Griffith and Tiny Town America? I can tell you from living in Colorado that to me, Gville doesn't seem any slower than Colo Spgs, and a town like Traveler's Rest doesn't seem any slower than Fountain or Divide, CO.

I've always understood the slow pace to mean how we're more laid back and relaxed than our northern counterparts.. it's not the driving, it's not the speech, it's just our way of life. We don't honk our horns when we're on Woodruff Road -- at least, we don't honk that much. I think we're more patient than our friends to the north, too. At least, that's what the fiance keeps telling me. ;)

Speaking of the fiance, he's moving down to Greenville once he graduates from college, and he's so excited. He's completely and totally enamoured with downtown. He's from Rochester, NY, and we spend a lot of time discussing the differences between here and there, and the biggest difference we've been able to come up with is the downtown area. There's just.. not much for young people like us to do. Greenville's entirely different -- everything you could possibly want is in walking distance.

..he's also excited about the pleasant climate and the pimento cheese, but that's something for the off-topic thread. :D

Archived