How does the outside view Greenville?

Thank you for your kind words. Maybe I should post some other missives sent to Seattle so other readers don't think I dislike this lovely place. `Tis my new home, and I love it!

I'd love to hear more! I've spent a great deal of time in Seattle and know the humor most of them would find in South Carolina / Southern everyday life.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I definitely use my horn if someone cuts in front of me in traffic or fails to recognize a green light. :lol: I do, however, wait a second longer to use the horn when I am driving in the South. ;)

I actually had to use mine the other day for the first time since I've lived here. I was pulling onto Woodruff Road from the I-385 Southbound / I-85 Southbound exit and turning left to cross over I-85 toward the Point. Someone driving towards the Point on Woodruff blocked the intersection in the left-hand lane and refused to pull into the very empty right-hand lane while I had a green light. I'm sorry, but they left me no choice. :lol: I felt very briefly like I was in Orlando all over again.

My grandmother is about as southern as they come and when she could drive always made a point to say how she would "sit on the horn" She mean she would honk it as long and as loud as she could but my young mind developed a real strange picture when I first heard that expression. :rofl:

Haha! I grew up hearing that expression very often! :D

I actually had to use mine the other day for the first time since I've lived here. I was pulling onto Woodruff Road from the I-385 Southbound / I-85 Southbound exit and turning left to cross over I-85 toward the Point. Someone driving towards the Point on Woodruff blocked the intersection in the left-hand lane and refused to pull into the very empty right-hand lane while I had a green light. I'm sorry, but they left me no choice. :lol: I felt very briefly like I was in Orlando all over again.

I was driving and on the Woodruff Road bridge over 85 a few days after Christmas. For some reason a woman just rolled down a window and just started shouting swear words at some driver. It reminded me why I avoid Woodruff Road at all possible costs now. What a mess that thing is, it really brings out the worst in people.

That area reminds me of Orlando too... Too many cars, to many cars...

I was driving and on the Woodruff Road bridge over 85 a few days after Christmas. For some reason a woman just rolled down a window and just started shouting swear words at some driver. It reminded me why I avoid Woodruff Road at all possible costs now. What a mess that thing is, it really brings out the worst in people.

I saw something similar. Some woman in an SUV was absolutely going insane screaming at any vehicle that got in her path, because god forbid she miss that light. (as if no one else should have that right, when SHE was the one who insisted on cutting through traffic?)

I've also witnessed some people being VERY rude to people working in restaurants, etc. I'm the type to make loud verbal remarks when I see that happening, heh. I can't stand rude people.

• 1 month later...

Some comments about Greenville from a UK publication. The publication actually is about the launch of the revamped BMW X-5, but has a couple of funny comments about Greenville. Complimentary in a cheeky way.

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/launches/bmw/12544.asp

Funny quote from the article:

"It has had a massive impact on the local area. Apart from 4500 above-average-wage direct jobs it also supports another 12,500, and as a result local shops and restaurants are booming and the place now has a real buzz about it, rather than the rundown feel of pre-BMW." :rofl:

Funny quote from the article:

"It has had a massive impact on the local area. Apart from 4500 above-average-wage direct jobs it also supports another 12,500, and as a result local shops and restaurants are booming and the place now has a real buzz about it, rather than the rundown feel of pre-BMW." :rofl:

There is a lot of truth to that quote. While it is not a direct one to one correlation, BMW and its suppliers have had a massive influence on the area. Greenville in 1991 wasn't exactly booming. There were lots of plans for further downtown revitilization, but just plans.

Towns like Duncan and Greer were receding quickly. Cherrydale was a former estate/ dying textile plant. The area was still attempting to make the transition from a textile based economy to a multi modal brand.

Gov. Campbell recruiting BMW was a spark that led to a lot of changes. Much of the Greenville/ Spartanburg area did have a run-down feel to it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I met a lady at Artispehere this weekend who was up visiting her dtr, who just moved here with her husband three months ago. She was in Falls Park. She said her dtr absolutely loves it here. She tried to get her to move back to Tampa, but now she understands why she won't. The lady went on and on about the park, the trees, etc. They had also been to Ceaser's head and table rock, and loved all of it.! She was saying how you don't go to DT Tampa even in the daytime because of all the crime (her words not mine). Great exposure this weekend. There were thousands of people everywhere. And the river itself seems to be a signiture interactive water park.

I had to work downtown today due to an internet outage at home (there are worse fates). So, I parked at the Bowater Garage and worked from the PCJ at the Fieldhouse. I had dinner with Mrs. RT and Mr. & Mrs. vwsam and vwsam's mom (EDIT: and children) at Bellacino's this evening and walked around a bit. At the end of the evening, on my way back to my car, I stopped off at the Swamp Rabbit bridge plaque for a bit and took in the scenery. While there, a gentleman on a cell phone stopped nearby and was having a conversation with (I presume) his S.O. and he was obviously from out of town. He mentioned how he got back to his hotel from his meeting and decided to walk around downtown and was describing how beautiful it was...and how he wished he had brought his camera so he could show it off. I would have struck up a conversation with him, but it seemed he was pretty much engrossed in his own, so I headed to the car. I just think it's very neat to hear new visitors describe our city to others. They sound almost as excited as children in a toy or candy store...and this guy was no different.

A few weeks back, I was at Falls Park on one of my almost daily two mile walks [Doctors

orders because of a back injury] I had stopped to take a photo at Art Crossing,

when this Lady and her daughter came up to me and started asking questions about

the park and the old buildings around the Peace Center. I ask where she was from

and she said she was from California and was in town for a couple of days working.

The lady had a nice camera with her so I ask if they wanted to walk with me, and

I would point out some of the history of the park. Well we walked for about an hour,

she kept saying how much she loved downtown and the park and how beautiful and

clean everything was.We ended our walk at the amphitheater in front of the Overlook

Grill, when I told her I had to go because I was parked in a two hour space.

As I was leaving I took one photo of the lady, because she had been so nice and

I wanted to show my wife.When I got home that evening and showed the photo

to my wife she said O.M.G.! thats Molly Ringwald, you spent an hour talking to

Molly Ringwald? At that moment I realized I had spent all that time talking and

taking photos with her and never ask her name.

DSC01594.jpg

Isn't she an actress? I know she's a big name in Hollywood and everything...that's a pretty awesome thing to have happen to you, maninthepark!

I wonder what exactly she had going on in Greenville. A new movie to be filmed, perhaps?

Yes, she was in a bunch of moves when she was a teen, Breakfast Club, Prettty In Pink.

She was in Greenville,in a musical at the Peace Center called Sweet Charity.

A few weeks back, I was at Falls Park on one of my almost daily two mile walks [Doctors

orders because of a back injury] I had stopped to take a photo at Art Crossing,

when this Lady and her daughter came up to me and started asking questions about

the park and the old buildings around the Peace Center. I ask where she was from

and she said she was from California and was in town for a couple of days working.

The lady had a nice camera with her so I ask if they wanted to walk with me, and

I would point out some of the history of the park. Well we walked for about an hour,

she kept saying how much she loved downtown and the park and how beautiful and

clean everything was.We ended our walk at the amphitheater in front of the Overlook

Grill, when I told her I had to go because I was parked in a two hour space.

As I was leaving I took one photo of the lady, because she had been so nice and

I wanted to show my wife.When I got home that evening and showed the photo

to my wife she said O.M.G.! thats Molly Ringwald, you spent an hour talking to

Molly Ringwald? At that moment I realized I had spent all that time talking and

taking photos with her and never ask her name.

DSC01594.jpg

Wow! That's really cool. :thumbsup: I've got Sixteen Candles somewhere in my house on Beta. No way to watch it. What memories! :lol:

Archived