Huge fire

rbdetsport

.....ukee. I saw the report on the news and it seems as if the fire engulfed half of the building. Part of the outside wall has collapsed. Maybe people with more information can tell us. It's at a warehouse. The building is mostly abandoned, but it is slightly occupied by a furniture store.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to hear that. A piece of our history, especially one that produced the now "extinct" icon the Studebaker, is gone forevermost (most likely).

By any chance, does anyone have a picture of the place before/after it burned (when they come in)?

They are trying to save the eastern end, where the storeage place and meat market is, but from what people are telling me, the fire is still growing in intensity, so saving it does not seem likely. I've got people on site calling me, and they're telling me that walls are collapsing.

A huge portion of the front facade collapsed a couple minutes ago. The fire is spreading eastward across the roof, and has reached the Brush Street end of the building.

It is a 5 alarm fire. Is it really a good idea to lay off 100 firefighters?

A huge portion of the front facade collapsed a couple minutes ago. The fire is spreading eastward across the roof, and has reached the Brush Street end of the building.

It is a 5 alarm fire.  Is it really a good idea to lay off 100 firefighters?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps not :)

@wolverine--

Thanks for the picture! It looks like it was a nice building.

I just got back from standing for two hours at John R. just 1/2 block away from Piquette Avenue. I have never seen such a scene in my entire life. The images of what looked like an entire city burning to the ground. You could see and hear the building falling apart right before your eyes.

It seemed as if the entire city was out watching in disbelief. When people heard it was the Piquette Market and Plant, they were in shock. That building is HUGE. Really, and aweful night in Detroit and one that I will never forget. Yet another piece of our treasured history gone forever. :(

RIP and God Bless!!

Allan is taking these of his television and sending them to me since my server space is a black hole without limits.

IMG]http://www.umich.edu/~ifmuth/destroyedf.jpg

Let me fix that:

destroyedf.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow...it seems even bigger in that pic.

How are you getting these pics, Allan? Are you just holding your camera up to the TV?

I can see how you or some of your fellow residents might not want to believe this is happening, Michi. R.I.P. Indeed.

I must say that was so damn crazy.

I watched the whole newcast.

So many errors, Channel 4 couldnt even point out where the building was on an aerial lol.

I am not too mad on this loss, i was in the building a month ago and the thing was already a complete loss with collapsing wood floors. The only thing salvageable was the facade.

I will have my photos from my visit up soon.

Archived