Huge fire

rbdetsport

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the Ford Piquette Factory and the Model T were saved. There's slight damage to the Ford Piqueete Factory directly across from the Studebaker Factory; but, it's minimal.

This building really was in terrible shape, which probably made it even more susceptible to this fire. Hopefully, some developers tend to the large vacant lot that resulted from all of this.

This is getting a lot of attention nationwide. AP, Reuter, CNN, etc.

The factory is nothing more than a smoldering pile of bricks, twisted steel, and ashes. I watched the tv coverage until it stopped around 2:30 or 3:00. It was really something to see the entire city block up in flames. I seriously considered making the drive to see for myself, but pulling an all-nighter was not something I felt up to doing.

HOLY SH**!!! One helluva photo wolverine :o. I read on DetroitYes! that this plant was occupied by Studebaker from 1910-28. Anyone know what happened to it after that or since Studebaker disbanded? I suppose it doesn't much matter anymore... From what I understand, the structure was severely damaged and almost certainly beyond salvagable. On the bright side of things, the fire was suppressed enough to avoid the Ford Piquette Plant less than a block away - site of the production of the first Model T automobile. Both sites employ the same construction methods and clearly the loss of that facility would've been devastating.

Well, I went back to the site to see what it looked like during daylight. It was about 8:00 pm and the fire crews were still spraying heavy amounts of water on the pile of debris and remains. The only thing standing on the John R end is the elevator shafts. The Brush side of the plot is still smoking a good deal.

There's absolutely nothing left of the place, except maybe a few in-tact brick walls that are but only a few feet high. There was a demolition crew that came and knocked down anything large so that it didn't catch fire and spread.

People are collecting bricks. I will certainly go and grab mine tomorrow...

D'OH! And as I close, the PISTON'S score the winning basket!!

W00T...Deeeeeeeeeee'troit basketball!

God Bless the D.F.D. for containing this blaze. :):):) The destroyed site itself doesn't look to me very important, but by the looks of the TV coverage the fire could easily have incinerated the whole neighborhood, including the Ford site. Maybe this event will force policymakers at City Hall to reconsider cuts to the Department. Read above that every ladder but one responded to this call. So, what is to be done if two such fires go up at once? I can't believe these brave people put up with so much bullsh** and yet still can do their jobs so well.

There were approximately 150 firefighters working to save the neighborhood from the blaze. The budget calls for laying off up to 112 firefighters when the new fiscal year starts in July. As it stands now, there were enough firefighters around the city to respond if something else happened, but I doubt that will be the case if the planned cuts go into effect. Cutting that many firefighters in the city is absolutely insane. Cuts are necessary, but they are not being made in the right places.

I'm a little late for posting pics because of those wonderful Pistons. Here's a few I took

1fire1.jpg

Scarred building where the hospital records are stored. A lady at the front entrance said only some were damaged

1fire2.jpg

1fire3.jpg

Barely recognizable market entrance

1fire4.jpg

Gimmie an E! Gimmie a T!

1fire5.jpg

And then came the flood.

1fire6.jpg

Studebaker from the back

1fire7.jpg

Yes, it was very, very hot back there

1fire8.jpg

1fire9.jpg

No clue.

1fire10.jpg

Some sort of platform thing that went to the Studebaker. I think that's what ran behind from what I could see through the damage. I think it was broke before the fire though.

1fire11.jpg

I saw this down the street. It should be turned into a data farm. Oh wait, that didn't happen.

1fire12.jpg

Smoke still rising in the distance.

An amazing scene. I couldnt believe what I was watching late last night.

Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory right? Well heres the thought that jumped into my head.

During the broadcast on channel 7 i beleive it was mentioned that a witness had seen a fire department vehicle at the structure earlier in the day. Why would they have been there? Isnt it odd that a FD vehicle is there and later that night the place goes up? My crazy conspiracy theory is that the DFD set the fire i an attempt to show the city council that they cant lay off so many firefighters. A fire department is neccessary otherwise Detroit could lose real gems like the Model T factory which the fire fighters heroically saved.

Well how bout that for a conspiracy theory?

Please dont rip me because i honestly dont believe that there was foul play involving the DFD.

Interesting theory, Zissou...probably not true, that kind of event (the truck stopping earlier in the day) could probably happen anywhere in a big city like Detroit.

Nice (is that a word for these kinds of pics!?!) pics, wolverine.

Thanks for sharing the pics Wolverine!

Zissou, you, I and just about every sane person doesn't believe that conspiracy theory, but don't let Kwame hear it because he'd run with!

The DPD really needs be commended for this. In a city like Detroit, the last thing they need to cut is Police and Fire.

You wanna know something weird, I think I saw the detroitblog guy yesterday. His photos show that he was inside what was left of the building (while it was still smoking). I saw this guy (maybe in his twenties) come behind the plant across the rr tracks, and climb down the back wall to get into the site. I was like "Is that guy crazy!" It was hot enough from where I took those pictures. Anyway, I can't really describe him, but if I saw a picture, I could easily identify this man of mystery.

Archived