Tallahassee Transportation

Florida

tallyskyclose.jpg

Its hard to remain objective when I think about how our transportation facilities in and around Tallahassee have impared our growth. Think about it, stop and go traffic, an interstate that only serves the northern part of the city, and secondary highways that move traffic very slowly through the city. What we need and what we know we need is some type of spur or intra-city express route.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Tallahassee would benefit from added highways/expressways. Building those require tearing down houses, commercial properties, and in some cases, entire neighborhoods. That would ruin Tally's character and make it look just about like every other major metro in Florida. Granted, an extension of the Fla Turnpike up to Tallahassee would be of benefit, but that's about all I would recommend, or risk turning your quaint city into another "Sprawlando"!

^Hey depechecureguyorl!!!! What a tounge twister!? I agree.

I would push for the expansion of the turn pike if I knew who to speak to. This expansion if connected to I-10 someway would benifit the south of the city which would solve many of our long run issues.

Any thoughts on how to initiate talks of something like this?

I have no ideas, but i do know that the city of Tallahassee is going to make a decision on wheter or not they should widen and enhance South Adams Street which is just past FAMU. If approved this road will become a 4 lane and will help accomadate traffic for the university and Wakulla. This has been on the city's do to list since 1997 but has slipped to the bottom of the list in the past years. Most likely the will approve of this. I mean it is a smart thing to do.

I have no ideas, but i do know that the city of Tallahassee is going to make a decision on wheter or not they should widen and enhance South Adams Street which is just past FAMU. If approved this road will become a 4 lane and will help accomadate traffic for the university and Wakulla. This has been on the city's do to list since 1997 but has slipped to the bottom of the list in the past years. Most likely the will approve of this. I mean it is a smart thing to do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a wonder this was such a low priority issue before now. I guess this truly shows how much neglect South City issues recieved prior to the election of our new commission.

It truly seems like the Marks administration has opened underprivledged areas of the community up to revitalization. Look at Gaines, South Monroe, Apalachee Ridge (which really started before Marks) Providence, Lake Bradford, Pensacola. These are all areas in dire need of attention due to rising poverty in these areas, more people renting than owning, which is also leading to lower level of pride in the community.

All in all I think Marks and the new commission are on the right path with regards to their priorities and Im happy to see this project coming up for consideration.

Funny thing... the City wants Adams to be enhanced with sidewalks to make it more pedestrian friendly, while the county wants to make it a thoroughfare for smoother, speedy traffic flow. I like both of their plans, but the issue is wether or not the city should go forward with their plans or wait to decide what the county does.

I think someone asked me about consolidation the other day and I sited something like this as a perfect example. In a county (Leon) with only one municipality (Tallahassee) why hasn't this work been coordinated and monies pooled for this work? Because the citizens aren't forcing cooperation. This is another plus for consolidation in my eyes. If we consolidate we wouldn't have city residents paying more in taxes for both city and county, only to turn around and have their money waisted because one project was torn up to do another on the same road.

There should be a few downtown bypassess, because everyone in this area works on the opposite side of town from where they reside... but seriously, 27 runs straight up to the cap, and turns into N monroe... a utilization of a bypass just outside of downtown with an express mentality would help make downtown more wakable with business and residential traffic only... rather than the trucks and traffic taking the "quick" path through. that would be a start. maybe meridian rd and I-10 could be the only midway exit to help the monroe and thomasv interchanges.

any type of improvement to traffic flow is extreemly urgent if growth continues or else more damage will have to be done. if we do anything, it should be within the next five years. i can not understand why some sacrifices cannot be made in the form of trees, property, and maybe a sliver of history in order to get people were they need to be and not spewwing exhaust and traffic that ultimatly can/does ruin the charm of tally downtown. a poem... by chris murphy

black pavement provides us

convienience yet hides us

from the tired pace

of the white man's race.

its surface scars prove

many passing tires grove

on track to change

but lack real range

returning every evening

farther from the meaning....

and we'll stop there today children.... :)

no classes can teach ryhme that devine..... jk

I knokw somone who works at DEP off Blairstone who talked to me once about a real simple 4 lane "expresseway" that would have less than 6 "interchanges". it was a wierd idea some city commissioner brought up in 2002 to deal with the problems on tennessee, monroe, gaines, etc downtown due to all the crossover traffic. the idea proposed had a semicircal from I-10 in the north sweeping south to the airport in the S west (ohh our beautiful forrest) and S East about 2 miles outside of cap cir through to thomasville rd. INSANITY....

i tihnk some smaller simplier ideas could be designed to work together to help minimize local traffic downtown. Ideas-

How about this idea.

The thought is to take the stress off of the current focal point at Monroe and Tennessee. I haven't worked on the Tennessee access route due to current timing restraints, but they key is to use current One-way streets to alleviate the imact on neighborhoods and trees. Some sacrifices will still have to be made, but this route will require installation of a bridge from Apalachee Parkway that runs an arch in front of the Current Bank of America Building. It would make for a nice ride, and more urban downtown look. Here's what I've thought up:

Feel free to revise and add to it as you see fit. My hope is to together be able to figure out something that we can submit to the commissions.

Conceptmap.bmp

That looks like what i imagined to help North-South flow to the East... nice art skills btw...lol, I would like to see less traffic lights and more merges for these areas too. For tennessee, i think if the N.monroe traffic decressed thanks to new improvs, then the light at tennesee would change its timming enough to allow that traffic to flow easier, then it can bottleneck further down the road. tennesee is so wide west of monroe.... sure wouldn't have to cut down many trees to send an elevated highway 90 through.... (FSU would freak) The southside also gets killed everyday by wakulla and Crowfordville commuters, and access to coast could be improved by a southward flyover from gaines-ish to say... crawfordville highway (airport benefiets)

C Murphy... Im so glad you live on the southside... you can keep us up on all of the progress going on in that area with regard to Southwood, Wakulla, Carabelle and the rest...

I think FDOT should look at getting Adams/Crawfordville roads widened all the way to Capital Circle. A four(4) lane divided highway would be fine. This would relieve traffic along the southside quarters. I think more importantly we should work on beefing up the Adams street portion south of Hannon Mill to Capital Circle.

C Murphy... Im so glad you live on the southside... you can keep us up on all of the progress going on in that area with regard to Southwood, Wakulla, Carabelle and the rest...

I think FDOT should look at getting Adams/Crawfordville roads widened all the way to Capital Circle. A four(4) lane divided highway would  be fine. This would relieve traffic along the southside quarters. I think more importantly we should work on beefing up the Adams street portion south of Hannon Mill to Capital Circle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not sure and it might be my imagination but I think everything past orange ave is a 4 lane. Does anybody no for sure. For some reason that's all i can remeber.

I saw on the news yesterday that the adams street area (famu end) was under discussion this week because the county had money for beautification and sidewalks while the city has it in thier list of widenings... i think there should be an answer shortly as to which one may be applied. Adams street was priority one in 2000 (according to News channel 27) but slipped down to 6 by last year. I am pretty sure its urgency will bring it to the top... but if anyone hears anyhting PosTIT

I was watching the commision meeting today. They were talking about this issue. I do know they are going to do something with the sidewalks. They say it should take 60 days.I really wasn't paying any mind to what they had to say about this whole issue of adams.

Well while the Adams st thing is being worked out the Boone Blvd has been worked out! I am glad to see this finally complete. My grandma works at DBPR (Department of Business and Proffesional Regulations). She would have to drive all the way out to the front parking lot of Northwood, and then hit monroe with all that traffic when she could of just hit boone then make a right to Monroe. Boone was mainly worked on because of flooding issues. Here is a map of the new completed boone blvd.

143410958425.gif

for more info visit: http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/11971523.htm

Archived