Tallahassee Transportation

Florida

I also vaguely remember Tommie telling me that there was a limit to how many interchanges could exist in an area before the rural interstate became an urban interstate, possibly requiring the speed limit to be less than 70mph.

Since I never drive in the interstate through town, this would not be a big deal for me personally, but I don't imagine the DOT makes decisions based on that.

That's interesting. Even if I-10 was classified as an urban interstate, the speed limit would probably only drop down to 65, not that big a difference. I-95 in South Florida has a speed limit of 65, however other urban interstates have 55 mph limits. I don't know why there's a variation. I-95 in Broward is just as urban as let's say I-275, yet 95 is 65 and 275 is 55. Absolutely strange to me!!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just learned that there is indeed going to be a middle school next to roberts. i believe it will be near the end of the roundabout that already exists. montford spoke at a pto meeting at roberts back in october or november for any interested parents about the exact plans for the middle school. the school will be built in the next two years i believe. i will ask around about the exact dates.

• 2 weeks later...
:D Well guys it looks like the Mahan widening is one step closer. Project can begin sometime in late 2007. There still has to be a public hearing before final decision is made, but I am praying the commisioners make the right decision. Even though it will kill me inside to see those trees removed it will help that area in the long run.

I think the negative impact of this widening could be worse than losing those trees. I definitely want to see Mahan widened and as quickly as possible. However, I don't want us to lose the Capital Cascades project or have parts of it scrapped for lack of money. If the Capital Cascades project is truly to be the crown jewel of Tally, it must be done correctly and unfortunately that will cost big bucks. I also think the widening of Cap. Circle completely around the city is another must! Both of these two projects were promised to us when we voted for Blueprint 2000 and therefore should be done in a timely matter as promised.

Now does this mean that Mahan should not be widened? NO, it should happen too. I just hate that we have to "rob Peter to pay Paul!" A solution should be found that will let all of these projects happen and again in a timely manner. Is what they are proposing the best way to do that? I'm not sure....what do you guys think??? Is there another solution to achieve these 3 goals?

I think the negative impact of this widening could be worse than losing those trees. I definitely want to see Mahan widened and as quickly as possible. However, I don't want us to lose the Capital Cascades project or have parts of it scrapped for lack of money. If the Capital Cascades project is truly to be the crown jewel of Tally, it must be done correctly and unfortunately that will cost big bucks. I also think the widening of Cap. Circle completely around the city is another must! Both of these two projects were promised to us when we voted for Blueprint 2000 and therefore should be done in a timely matter as promised.

Now does this mean that Mahan should not be widened? NO, it should happen too. I just hate that we have to "rob Peter to pay Paul!" A solution should be found that will let all of these projects happen and again in a timely manner. Is what they are proposing the best way to do that? I'm not sure....what do you guys think??? Is there another solution to achieve these 3 goals?

Tolls roads? Everywhere else in the state has them, except us! Sad to some, but roads aren't gonna be built until they are paid for by tolls.

FDOT proposed making State Road 9A in Jax a toll road back in the day. Jax protested and guess what........it has taken over 20 years to bloody 9A WITHOUT tolls.

Orlando's beltway system is tolled, without the tolls, I highly doubt 417 would be completed, and 429 would still be a gleam in an engineer's eye.

jpl02 I believe that toll roads are the wave of the future for Florida, North FL included whether we like them or not. I've got some pretty good connections to DOT, Tolls and Turnpike and that is exactly what they have planned for the state.

I think the first tolls roads in N. FL that we'll see is the paralleling of US 98 along the coast from P'cola around FWB/Destin on to PC and possibly over this way. I believe Gov. Bush has already permitted the creation of the NW FL toll authority or whatever it's official name is. Also the proposed expressway from PC to I-10 and on up to the AL state line will be tolled as will the Gulf to Bay Hwy that will by-pass Tyndall AFB and provide a link to Mexico Bch and Gulf County. I'm sure our friend psycuda knows a lot about these proposals too.

However for a toll road to work and make a profit it must provide a faster way for motorist to get from point A to B....mainly an expressway. This would not be the case for Mahan or Capital Circle (although years ago they should have had the fore-sight to make it limited access expressway.) Neither road would be limited access freeway, so tolling is not an option for these roads and therefore this proposed solution would not work here IMO.

So that still leaves us w/the question: Is what they are proposing the best way to do it? I am not sure what the right answer is but I know it's a slippery slope to take monies from one project and apply them to another.

However for a toll road to work and make a profit it must provide a faster way for motorist to get from point A to B....mainly an expressway. This would not be the case for Mahan or Capital Circle (although years ago they should have had the fore-sight to make it limited access expressway.) Neither road would be limited access freeway, so tolling is not an option for these roads and therefore this proposed solution would not work here IMO.

You'd be surprised. There are several surface roads in Orlando that are tolled.......that aren't freeways. SR 551/Goldenrod was recently extended, and the extension is a toll road. It's a simple 4 land boulevard, no overpasses, nothing fancy like that. Then, there's Osceola Parkway (don't get me started on the rip of a road that is!!) which is a 4 lane surface arterial. The Maitland Boulevard Extension that is proposed will also be a toll.

I'm not advocating one way or the other with tolls, but they are a-comin.

^ Wow I never realized that the Osceola P'way was not limited access. While passing the exit on the Turnpike, I just assumed it was limited access by the name. I guess that's what I get for assuming. I've never been on it b/c I try to avoid N. Osceola County and the Attractions area like the plague.

Do they limited curb cuts and development along the tolled part of Goldenrod? I know on parts of the old Maitland Blvd. (non-tolled) development was limited and it's interchange w/I-4 and 17/92 is better than most others in the area, or at least it use to be this way.

I'm not advocating for toll roads either, but you are right, they are coming!

this is the email i got promptly back from DOT

The first leg (Thomasville intersection) was let last month. Construction will start this fall. Website will be updated soon.

WOOT its starting this fall!

dont answer me like that, u need to remember to be respectful when posting... also, yes, all i heard was it was delayed... that doesnt help me... i want to know when.

IMO that wasn't disrespectful and for all people to call someone out on manners???

Hello pot meet kettle! :P

But thanks very much for finding that info. out from DOT.

jpl02 I believe that toll roads are the wave of the future for Florida, North FL included whether we like them or not. I've got some pretty good connections to DOT, Tolls and Turnpike and that is exactly what they have planned for the state.

I think the first tolls roads in N. FL that we'll see is the paralleling of US 98 along the coast from P'cola around FWB/Destin on to PC and possibly over this way. I believe Gov. Bush has already permitted the creation of the NW FL toll authority or whatever it's official name is. Also the proposed expressway from PC to I-10 and on up to the AL state line will be tolled as will the Gulf to Bay Hwy that will by-pass Tyndall AFB and provide a link to Mexico Bch and Gulf County. I'm sure our friend psycuda knows a lot about these proposals too.

That's one, eventually extended to east of St. Marks and then running north around the east side of Tallahassee, through Capitola and Chaires, tied into I-10 for a few miles, then going North from Welaunee to Thomasville Road somewhere north of Bradfordville. This is a gleam in the eye of the CRTPA, and is at least in the 25 year plan.

Additional info on I-10 upgrades on tdo.com

Anderson-Columbia has 1,000 calendar days to do the first segment from Meridian to just east of CCNE. Ugh - 3 years of construction outside my office. This is not the Big Dig.

Also, $69M?!? I hope the diamond and platinum lane markers are really shiny.

Additional info on I-10 upgrades on tdo.com

Anderson-Columbia has 1,000 calendar days to do the first segment from Meridian to just east of CCNE. Ugh - 3 years of construction outside my office. This is not the Big Dig.

Also, $69M?!? I hope the diamond and platinum lane markers are really shiny.

Ha ha :lol: Suffice to say, blame it on the rising costs of construction materials. When cost of oil goes up, so does everything else.

The number one biggest cost of any road construction project is the right-of-way purchase, but that's a non-issue here since FDOT owns and has owned the ROW along I-10 for some time. It's just the cost of construction goodies. Plus, there are additional goodies such as sound barriers, drainage, and all the other related complicated political crap that you have to pay for when you want to pave a road :rolleyes:

Additionally, if the contractor completes work ahead of time, they're usually given a bonus, so that's an extra lump of change thrown their way. A good incentive to keep construction time at a minimal, I guess. I just hope they don't do a mediocre job on the construction!

Ha ha :lol: Suffice to say, blame it on the rising costs of construction materials. When cost of oil goes up, so does everything else.

The number one biggest cost of any road construction project is the right-of-way purchase, but that's a non-issue here since FDOT owns and has owned the ROW along I-10 for some time. It's just the cost of construction goodies. Plus, there are additional goodies such as sound barriers, drainage, and all the other related complicated political crap that you have to pay for when you want to pave a road :rolleyes:

Additionally, if the contractor completes work ahead of time, they're usually given a bonus, so that's an extra lump of change thrown their way. A good incentive to keep construction time at a minimal, I guess. I just hope they don't do a mediocre job on the construction!

The bulk of the price tag, is the thomasville interchange i bet, there will be bridges into the air, 3 or 4, lets call it tallahassee's verison of spaghetti junction.

• 1 month later...

an update, not really related to roads, but to the middle school next to roberts ele, spoken of earlier in this thread-- the ground breaking ceremony will be either tomorrow, monday, or tuesday. i do not remember which one it was, however, i believe i was told it will be tuesday morning. the school will be open for the 2007 school year and will be on the north east side of the round about (roberts is on the south west side).

also, i was wondering if anyone had heard anything on I-10 widening and when it will be started?

• 1 month later...

Tallahassee Democrat Highlights Road Construction

• Beginning Tuesday, northbound and southbound lanes on Capital Circle Northwest between Tennessee and Tharpe streets will be shifted to the newly constructed travel lanes. All roads will remain open, and work is expected to continue through early 2007.

• Watch for lane closures on Duval Street north of Tennessee Street through September for a resurfacing and sidewalk project.

• Work is progressing on North Monroe Street from I-10 to the Gadsden County line. The contractor is working Sunday through Thursday nights and expects to be done by late September or mid-October.

• The city has started constructing Welaunee Boulevard from Buford Boulevard to Fleischmann Road. The project is scheduled for completion in May.

• 3 weeks later...

US 27

US27.jpg

I know we've talked alot about taking US 27 as an alternitive to I-10 into Central and South Florida lately. You save aprox. 25 miles from here to Ocala and the drive is much more peaceful. I've posted the picture above just to give a visual of how much traffic there is on this road on a typical day.

I know we've talked alot about taking US 27 as an alternitive to I-10 into Central and South Florida lately. You save aprox. 25 miles from here to Ocala and the drive is much more peaceful. I've posted the picture above just to give a visual of how much traffic there is on this road on a typical day.

U.S. 27 goes from Miami to Michigan, hard to believe! I've taken U.S. 27 from Broward up to the Sebring area, very agricultural (lots of sugar cane) and quiet, except for the occasional small town. A very enjoyable ride! I've been on U.S. 27 in Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky as well. A great scenic alternative to I-75 in those states.

On a side note, I will be starting my first year of grad school on Monday as a future transportation engineer! So watch out! :D

Archived