Tallahassee Transportation

Florida

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

U.S. 27 goes from Miami to Michigan, hard to believe! I've taken U.S. 27 from Broward up to the Sebring area, very agricultural (lots of sugar cane) and quiet, except for the occasional small town. A very enjoyable ride! I've been on U.S. 27 in Georgia, Tennessee and Kentucky as well. A great scenic alternative to I-75 in those states.

On a side note, I will be starting my first year of grad school on Monday as a future transportation engineer! So watch out! :D

I've taken US 27 or bloody 27 as it's called in Broward from Lauderdale to Tally. I love it, but often avoid it from the Polk County area up to Ocala b/c it's so heavily traveled. I do enjoy it in North and South FL.

How long do you think that degree take you jpl02?

Cool shot TJ. You remember where that was? It looks like the spot just north of Perry in Taylor County or the area between Cross City and Perry in either South Taylor or Dixie Counties.

I've taken US 27 or bloody 27 as it's called in Broward from Lauderdale to Tally. I love it, but often avoid it from the Polk County area up to Ocala b/c it's so heavily traveled. I do enjoy it in North and South FL.

How long do you think that degree take you jpl02?

Cool shot TJ. You remember where that was? It looks like the spot just north of Perry in Taylor County or the area between Cross City and Perry in either South Taylor or Dixie Counties.

It should take 2 years! I'm really excited about it. It'll fly by........I actually would finish as soon as I can so I can get the hell of FSU and get a "real" job. Despite all the job opportunities, I won't be going back to South Florida, that's for damn sure. I wouldn't mind at all staying in Tallahassee though.

Whenever I'm heading from Pembroke Pines to South Dade, I get on 27 and head down Krome Avenue. Now that's what you call a bloody road!

I remember I was about where the Blue Springs sign was. I pulled my camera out shortly after the big Blue Spill in the road. :lol: I believe South of Perry.

College Avenue Bike Lanes

SonyShots009.jpg

• The city has removed off-street parking from College Avenue and has instead installed Bike Lanes. I was a bit surprised to see this today as I had heard nothing about it in the news.

Could this move possibly lead to a more attractive link between Downtown Tallahassee and Florida State University?

College Avenue Bike Lanes

SonyShots009.jpg

• The city has removed off-street parking from College Avenue and has instead installed Bike Lanes. I was a bit surprised to see this today as I had heard nothing about it in the news.

Could this move possibly lead to a more attractive link between Downtown Tallahassee and Florida State University?

Very cool. Now if they would just put in some bump markers to keep cars out of the bike lane, and promise to keep the dirt and swept out of (instead of in to) the bike lane, and not stop the lanes when you get to a dangerous intersection, it might save a life or two.

• 1 month later...

Ideas for Park Avenue.

I was on Park between the FSU campus and downtown yesterday and was thinking about how unfortunate it is that we have parking along Park avenue (yeah, go ahead with the puns) in that area. It's already a great walking street (especially downtown). Without the parking, it' would make a great bicycle/scooter route. The bike lane on College is not really very workable as it doesn't deal with the dangerous auto/bike interface at the Adams and Monroe intersections. With less traffic and more stop signs, the Park ave corridor could be the safe alternative. With the new garage opening up on Call soon, the loss of those spaces would not be an issue.

I've also been thinking about the historic district on Park near the Knot house. With a little tweaking to the zoning, this could be a great restaurant/entertainment venue along the lines of the gaslight district in San Diego.

The new parking garage won't have as big of an effect as you think it will. Traffic is going to be horrible on Call and Macomb due to the assinine garage exits/entrances. Those in a hurry to get to class, which is quite a few folks, will always park along Park.

• 1 month later...

I travel Call St. all the time and I rarely see more than a few cars parked along it and only on special events do I see it full. It's too far-away from most of downtown for people to park there. So I've really never understood what all the chaos is about except maybe "fear of change" has once again made its appearance in our resistant burg.

People will be hurt and killed on bikes there no matter what the scenario is. Just today I saw a guy on foot and a guy on a bike in the middle of the crosswalk at Micco and Magnolia and the cars turning left would not let them continue to cross and trapped them in the middle. Folks the rule is pedestrians have the right of way no matter what and you must stop to anyone in a crosswalk regardless of what color your traffic light is.

• 3 months later...

Originally published March 26, 2007 in the Tallahassee Democrat

Regional board to discuss Red Hills parkway, Capital Cascade bridge

Julian Pecquet

A proposed coastal parkway and a connector bridge to Capital Cascade will be among the items discussed at today's regular meeting of the regional transportation planning body.

The Capital Region Transportation Planning Agency meets at 3 p.m. at City Hall.

Interesting stuff! Planning on checking that out TJ? Where is Capital Cascade? I wonder what kind of bridge they'd like to build... so many questions produced from such a small blurb! :)

Julian Pecquet

A proposed coastal parkway and a connector bridge to Capital Cascade will be among the items discussed at today's regular meeting of the regional transportation planning body.

Interesting stuff! Planning on checking that out TJ? Where is Capital Cascade? I wonder what kind of bridge they'd like to build... so many questions produced from such a small blurb! :)

Julian Pecquet

The first was the article that was in the paper on Sunday. I heard the pitch from the CRTPA people at a meeting a couple of weeks back for the Red Hills Project. What's scary isn't this particular project by itself, but when you hear about the other 3 or 4 projects that this ties into (I 185 extension in GA and into FL, the NW Florida Corridor, an extension of the Veteran's Expressway out of Tampa, the Turnpike Extension, etc) all tying into here, it makes you think that someone has a lot of plans for this place .

The Capital Cascade bridge is a proposed pedestrian bridge across Monroe St for the Capital Cascade park project.

I'm w/you on this one TJ. Most of what is being talked about will not be built until at least 25 years from now. So this should leave us plenty of time to mitigate the environmental impacts these projects will bring.

I can't believe silly ole Bob R. and Cliff T. are up to their old tricks again and want to stop the Red Hills at least 25 years out. Why not keep them on the lists and see what happens in the future? Maybe they won't be needed, but then at the appropriate time these projects could be removed from the list.

I've checked the Democrat but they've not updated this story. Were these fools (Bob and Cliff) able to move Red Hills off the list entirely?

The first was the article that was in the paper on Sunday. I heard the pitch from the CRTPA people at a meeting a couple of weeks back for the Red Hills Project. What's scary isn't this particular project by itself, but when you hear about the other 3 or 4 projects that this ties into (I 185 extension in GA and into FL, the NW Florida Corridor, an extension of the Veteran's Expressway out of Tampa, the Turnpike Extension, etc) all tying into here, it makes you think that someone has a lot of plans for this place .

The Capital Cascade bridge is a proposed pedestrian bridge across Monroe St for the Capital Cascade park project.

Gosh! I really hope to see this completed in my life time. Can you imagine Tallahassee having a direct link to Atlanta and Central/South Florida. My only wish is to slide this over more to the west. Heck, if they exist then why not use existing roadways (closer to Tally) as a foundation for this these new freeways - that should at least mitigate some of the environmental impacts.

I'm w/you on this one TJ. Most of what is being talked about will not be built until at least 25 years from now. So this should leave us plenty of time to mitigate the environmental impacts these projects will bring.

I can't believe silly ole Bob R. and Cliff T. are up to their old tricks again and want to stop the Red Hills at least 25 years out. Why not keep them on the lists and see what happens in the future? Maybe they won't be needed, but then at the appropriate time these projects could be removed from the list.

I've checked the Democrat but they've not updated this story. Were these fools (Bob and Cliff) able to move Red Hills off the list entirely?

Archived