Tallahassee Transportation

Florida

i am glad the motion to take it off was defeated. while environmental impact has to be considered when building a road the overall longterm benefits also have to be weighed. anyone who drives down to the coast knows the current infrastructure is insufficient and as our population grows it will only get worse. i do not think that the toll road alone will turn us into south florida. even if all the planned projects go through i think the majority of people live her because it is different and want to keep that unique feel. additionally, if all the roads were built they would make tallahassee a much more attractive location for businesses.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news the Red Hills stays on the list for now. Don't get me wrong, I think there's plenty of room for improvement on this route, but to kill something b/c it's not needed now, is short-sighted and foolish. The toll road along the coast paralleling 98 will most likely be built among all these proposed road projects b/c it will help in hurricane evacuations (helps w/the funding) and most importantly b/c St Joe is behind it to help w/all their development. Can you imagine an expressway running from the P'cola area all along the coast to St. Marks and then just ending at 2 lane Woodville Highway? I actually think Silly Bob R. would be delighted if we all just got out of our cars and pedaled our bikes up to Tally. ;) There has to be a limited access link to I-10 somewhere in our area. Plus this link will be good for business and commerce in the area b/c we will be where these two roads link up.

I'm curious as to what happened to Cliff's voted. He came out strong against the plan. Did he see the error of his ways and change his mind? Or did he just not attend the meeting?

I've always thought it was very "Mayberry" for our Capital Region Transportation Planning Agency to consist of all of our city and county commissioners. I think it would be better to put transportation people (engineers, planners etc) on this board and just have one rep. from the County and City Commissions.

What's even more disappointing are the people who keep voting these losers into office in the first place.

Glad to see the project still on the list, but I still think it would benefit the entire region more if it's planned route is closer to the COT. But I'll take it regardless of the route - just don't want to see more stripmalls and Waffle Houses in the rural county! :huh:

Does anyone have a rendering of the planned Bike/Pedestrian Bridge over Monroe Street? The link in the Democrat doesn't work.

What's even more disappointing are the people who keep voting these losers into office in the first place.

Glad to see the project still on the list, but I still think it would benefit the entire region more if it's planned route is closer to the COT. But I'll take it regardless of the route - just don't want to see more stripmalls and Waffle Houses in the rural county! :huh:

Does anyone have a rendering of the planned Bike/Pedestrian Bridge over Monroe Street? The link in the Democrat doesn't work.

the new "landmark" bridge looks like it was drawn by a 5th grader... maybe they want it to recede into the background rather than add some punch to the downtown area? i don't know, but I am kind of disappointed with that portion... the rest of the renderings look fairly nice and I like the fish! too bad a baseball stadium isn't in the picture... :P

I saw a very interesting movie (transportation related) tonight at the All Saints Cinema that I thought I might share.

It's called "Taken for a Ride". Basically, it's the story of General Motors, oil companies, and tire companies destroying mass transit in cities back in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. General Motors, through proxies, would buy trolley and light rail lines in cities, cut back service and let the equipment deteriorate, before ripping out the rail lines and putting extra lanes of traffic in their place. This all served the automobile, which of course GM and its cronies had interests in selling and getting all of America into cars.

Here's a link to the movie on IMDB

It was highly enjoyable and really made me think about our methods of transport in this country, and of course in Tallahassee. I courage all of you to check it out. There were a lot of DURPies at the film tonight, and our department chair and one of the professors spoke after the movie about the demise of mass transit.

Interesting stuff, definitely food for thought! :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

Historically, when we talk Tallahassee, we're talking a very unique place that is strategically isolated for various reasons. The isolation grew out of the desire to protect the Seat of the State Government from attack, and quickly became a mechanism to control growth. The modern era paints a much different view point, but one that cannot ignore the consequences of the past.

The biggest obstacle to overcome with Tallahassee's isolation from the rest of the state are Florida's transportation networks (roads, trains, boats and planes) which become limited as one nears the Capital City. I-10 provides adequate East west access to the City but linkage from central and South Florida could be improved is US 27 were a limited access roadway.

Trains no longer carry the amount of passengers they used to, yet if the state succeeds at building the high-speed bullet train that was approved by voters during the John Ellis Bush era the Capital city should be made a priority.

It is also possible to access Tallahassee via boat yet few people know how. St. Marks, at Port Leon, just 25 miles south of Tallahassee has historically been the way Tallahassee has sent and received freight from ships with a little Rail Road assistance. To moderize this access method, we merely need to convince the good folks who write Sovereignty Submerged lands leases to permit a few large marinas in Wakulla county that visitors could use for mooring their vessels and take a 30 minute train, taxi, bus, car ride up to Tallahassee.

Then of course there's the issue of planes. Today an advance notice ticket to Tallahassee on major carrier Delta from Miami would probably cost north of $400-$500. No wise spender would pay that type of money unless he or she is extraordinarily rich. However, this was not always the case. A few years ago (2002-2005), the same round trip ticket from Miami to Tallahassee was $89. Of course that was when AirTran was still serving the Tallahassee market which it no longer does. Another discount carrier such as Southwest Airlines flying in and out of the Capital city might make for a better connection to the rest of the state as well. Until then there's always DayJet the Air taxi.

Thanks was more than $.02 also. But the facts were too blatant to ignore.

We welcome the NEW TJ!!!! oops ahhhh Florida! :D

Consider this........

After the next election cycle, infrastructure improvements nationwide will be the next massive expenditure item once the Iraq war winds down. A MAJOR part of this infrastructure improvement will be bridges and roadways. We can expect a massive push to upgrade the nation's interstate systems also.

My guess is NOW is the time for our local city, state and federal congressional team to join up with Georgia about extending I-185 from Columbus, Ga. to Tallahassee to St. Petersburg. We need this interstate highway to run through Tallahassee N.W. through to Downtown then to the Airport, to Crawfordville to 98 to Perry to St. Pete.

We need to make the case for a Route similar to 1-110 in Pensacola and not the proposed Monticello route. Finally, we need to be making the case now so when the dollars are released, all the necessary right aways have been ironed out and we can be first out the box with a plan in place. What do you all think?????????

Well SkyDave, you and Poonther must have something in common because we're often on the same page. :) I very much agree with what you've proposed. My question would be who to approach? Congressional reps? State reps? or Local peeps? or the Gov? Tallahassee is definitely lacking the "nag factor" and I think we've been able to do a little bit of that, those of us seeking to make a difference here on UrbanPlanet. There is a way to bring the road through town. I know many have a hard time picturing it, but real estate will have to be purchased either way it so why not buy it where we need the road most. I think the route you're proposing would be beneficial (where it would basically follow the same route as US 27 through Tallahassee, but I think connected to that should be another limited access road to connect to 319 going south into Wakulla County that will eventually link to HWY 98.

Well SkyDave, you and Poonther must have something in common because we're often on the same page. :) I very much agree with what you've proposed. My question would be who to approach? Congressional reps? State reps? or Local peeps? or the Gov? Tallahassee is definitely lacking the "nag factor" and I think we've been able to do a little bit of that, those of us seeking to make a difference here on UrbanPlanet. There is a way to bring the road through town. I know many have a hard time picturing it, but real estate will have to be purchased either way it so why not buy it where we need the road most. I think the route you're proposing would be beneficial (where it would basically follow the same route as US 27 through Tallahassee, but I think connected to that should be another limited access road to connect to 319 going south into Wakulla County that will eventually link to HWY 98.

Archived