Tallahassee Transportation

Florida

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

DOWNTOWN HIGHWAY 27/Thomasville rd SIMPLE BYPASS PLAN

Instead of having pedestrians afraid of monroe street, maybe a couple of little alterations might make alternates more accessible. This could also help move traffic from 27 to I-10, if via the thomasville interchange.

THE PLAN:

Change N. Calhoun st. from a one-way southbound, to a one-way NORTH bound with a continous flow from appalachee pkwy and onto thomasville rd (a secound lane to I-10 might be neccisary).

Change N. Gadsden st. from a one-way north bound, to a one-way SOUTH bound connect into appalachee pkwy underneath the bridge of franklin blvd, merging where the current merge lane from gaines and begin the third lane of traffic for constant flow. the kink- interchange from Thomoasville rd to southbound Gadsden at current location would need bridging.

Extra issues-

Part of the historic area will attract pedestrians. But i think a few stops, with arelatively low speed limit, might help to express the traffic flow. The shade of the trees will help relaxe people while they cruise. It would be the tallahassee equivelent of the S. Fla sunbathing expressways. Also lesson the traffic strain on a tightly bordered N monroe to I-10 and havana.

Map: Yellow [new northbound] Blue [new southbound]

post-4590-1125824410_thumb.jpg

post-4590-1125824410_thumb.jpg

Exactly... imagine a similar ride from 27 up into the air in the treetops connecting over to north bound Calhoun! beautiful! relatively cheap! and an awsome way to express our tree city status. we might lose one or two. We could call it "the Treeway." No one here can tell me that is not tallahassee one hundred percent!... even southbound running under 27 will be an exciting ride.. i do think we should move on this... call the engineers!!!! lets get some studies done!!!

LOL... lets do more studies!

I actually think the article in the Tallahassee Democrat today about there being a new route created to go from Downtown to the Airport was interesting.

I'm here in Chicago and I see this in many places, often, cities have gateway "issues" between their airports and the downtown. Here in Chicago between the airport I flew in from to the downtown area, there was nothing but blight, litter, and crumbling buildings for miles, until the downtown came into view. Same is the case in Tallahassee for the most part.

If you take Gaines West you see nothing but old, outdated Warehouses on this thin congested road. Or if you go South on Adams or Monroe and then west, you'd be forced to endure Tallahassee's less attractive industrial side, especially around the Flea Market area.

What we need is not a new road, but to take the funds we would spend on a new road and actually invest in our existing infrastracture. Can you image a Monroe that was widened all the way to South Capital Circle, or a Adams Street that did the same? Could you imagine the landscaping they could do all along the Southern Part of Capital Circle, especially around the Flea Market, and along Monroe where those very ugly junk yards are? This same $80 Million dollars could be spent, re-routing Gaines Street for oneway east bound and Madison one way West bound... intersection improvement at Lake Bradford, an asthetic "face lift" along Lake Bradford which officials say will cost $3,000,000.00 and improvements along Orange Avenue, or Spring Hill Road. I'd much rather support these concepts than the creation of an all new road for an unknown arbitraty reason.

I've been very supportive of our City leaders in the past, but time has come now for them to be a little smarter with our money, and our time. We don't have forever to do things in Tallahassee... we've got alot of work to do to turn our city into a Business Mecca, we don't need to waist it on useless ideas like creating new roads that go to the same place as our existing roads. What our existing roads need is a little TLC (Tallahassee-Leon Care) which I feel would be much cheaper.

Seriously... when you really think about it... FDOT is truly responsible for widening our state roads, Tallahassee has tons of them which is why alot of work around here has yet to be done, because as we know the state treats us like a step child. HOWEVER, Tallahassee and Leon County Officials are well aware that they themselves can advance pay for the work to be done and await refund from the state. Why would any city or county do this? Because the longer you wait to do a project, the more costly it becomes, see Capital Circle and Blair Stone roads for examples.

There was no reason for the city to build an ampitheatre at Kleman only to turn around and want another one at Cascades park... the knew all along a city with a population well over 160,000 could use an ampitheatre much larger than that 50 seater they have downtown right now.

Another frustration of mine is the Performing Arts Center.... ok... why is Tallahassee the only State Capital in the USA without one? And how long have we known this? We're finally trying to get the ball rolling for one and land is expensive, and so are construction materials, and labor costs. We could have long ago had a facility, generating more activity and excitment for our dear City.

I just feel we've missed key opportunities at key times and I'm mad I have no particular person to blame.

• 2 weeks later...

There are some roads in my good ol' home town that I've never been down... thats one of them on my to do list. Maybe when gas prices go down.

Tallahassee's road are implorable and are in utter disrepair, it makes me angry to drive down are garbage streets. Their is so many potholes left unfilled and so many uneven driveways and entrances to businesses that you cant get into without scraping your car, unless you drive a truck or suv.

Granted, Tallahassee sits on 7 hills and it makes it harder to have even transfers between the city street and the business. but its not that hard. pour extra concrete and make a smooth transition.

Starbucks on tennessee... What the heck are they thinking, whoever runs that store is an idot. The transition is impossible to not scrape with any car... look at the street going into and out of that store. it has gouges in the asphault from people constantly scraping the nose of their cars...

If i own the business and people complain, and i know that call a concrete company smooth the transition, should be less than a hundred bucks worth of concrete.

they make me so mad. Plus I have a lowered car which makes it worse, on the other hand any other city i go to, has smooth transitions i dont scrape,

Tallahassee Roads SUCK period!

Yes, Tallahassee has the more horrid roads ever. There is no denying that - I don't care where you are from either. I came from Wakulla where half the roads are dirt . . . . and even then they were better.

Have they completed that "holy-er" than swiss cheese intersection on Mahan? (Next to Jenny's Lunchbox and that BP station?) That is the WORST intersection in town as far as potholes are concerned and they repaved UP to the intersection and have left it like that for a couple of months yet. I haven't been that way in about a week - so I haven't checked it out as of late.

You two, honestly, Tallahassee has some of the nicest roads anywhere. You've both pointed out remote locations where the roads are rough, which is understandable, but take is as a whole and our city is blessed.

f2d650c3.jpg

Thomasville Road

01123604.jpg

Raymond Diehl Road

f868e669.jpg

Capital Circle

6c41ff68.jpg

Park Avenue

DSCF0425.jpg

Mahan Drive

monroe.jpg

North Monroe

DSCF0976.jpg

Monroe Downtown

tennocala2.jpg

Tennessee Street

Its not the surfaces of the roads that the problem in most cases, its the way they link thats the issue.

Archived