Next area to target for redevelopment?

gs3

GV has done a great job of targeting and redeveloping areas over time. First downtown, Westend, Church Street seems to be starting, Pleasantburg, etc.

Which area do you think the city should target next?

I think Buncombe Highway bewteen Cherrydale and downtown seems to be the most blighted. A little city help to get commercial going is needed.

Laurens between downtown and Pleasantburg seems to hold the most potential. The area around Pleasantburg shopping center has some great retail names.....Land Rover, Earshot, Great Escape, 33 Liberty, Ducati, etc so the potential for this area to come back strong seems to be there. Just needs a little added push.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Buncombe Highway bewteen Cherrydale and downtown seems to be the most blighted.  A little city help to get commercial going is needed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree with you. Bumcombe Highway between the Pete Hollis Highway Intersection and Cherrydale is one of those "gateway" stretches of road that could use some TLC.

Driving South into Downtown Greenville from T.R., it's great when you get to Cherrydale. You see that nice "welcome to greenville" sign on the corner with Cherrydale as the backdrop. Then, you continue on south...and I'd have to try to put myself in the mind of a first-time visitor...you begin to wonder if you shouldn't turn around. Then, the newly improved intersection with the Pete Hollis Highway and Heritage Green...you begin to feel some relief (as a first-time visitor, of course).

I'd love to see the city target this area and come up with a master plan for improvement and redevelopment...only, I don't think the entire stretch of this road is within the city limits all the way to Cherrydale. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd love to see the city target this area and come up with a master plan for improvement and redevelopment...only, I don't think the entire stretch of this road is within the city limits all the way to Cherrydale.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct, much of it is not in the city.

This would be a logic area to target next. However, I would rather the city finish the things on it's plate now, rather than add more at this time. There is still plenty of work to do on Pleasantburg and Church St. for instance.

I have to agree with you.  Bumcombe Highway between the Pete Hollis Highway Intersection and Cherrydale is one of those "gateway" stretches of road that could use some TLC.

Driving South into Downtown Greenville from T.R., it's great when you get to Cherrydale.  You see that nice "welcome to greenville" sign on the corner with Cherrydale as the backdrop.  Then, you continue on south...and I'd have to try to put myself in the mind of a first-time visitor...you begin to wonder if you shouldn't turn around.  Then, the newly improved intersection with the Pete Hollis Highway and Heritage Green...you begin to feel some relief (as a first-time visitor, of course).

I'd love to see the city target this area and come up with a master plan for improvement and redevelopment...only, I don't think the entire stretch of this road is within the city limits all the way to Cherrydale.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also agree. I remember the first time I drove through Greenville heading towards TR. I DID turn around. :whistling: I didn't know Cherrydale was there until a few months later when I came at it from the Pleasantburg side.

I would also agree.  I remember the first time I drove through Greenville heading towards TR.  I DID turn around. :whistling:  I didn't know Cherrydale was there until a few months later when I came at it from the Pleasantburg side.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For this particular stretch of road, I don't think it would take much to improve it, really...just put in some nice landscaping, lighting, and traffic signals on arms (not wires) similar to what has been done at the intersection with the Hollis Highway. Install this all the way to Cherrydale...and voila! It looks tons better! :D

I suspect the businesses along this stretch of road may even clean themselves up somewhat with a little pride retored to their streetscape. ^_^

But I agree with vic...the city should finish what's on it's plate before it goes for dessert. :P

I have to agree with you.  Bumcombe Highway between the Pete Hollis Highway Intersection and Cherrydale is one of those "gateway" stretches of road that could use some TLC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's Poinsett Highway, isn't it? After it breaks off Buncombe St. to the right towards Cherrydale, Furman, but most importantly, the Ham House. Or have I been gone so long that my memory's failing?

It's Poinsett Highway, isn't it? After it breaks off Buncombe St. to the right towards Cherrydale, Furman, but most importantly, the Ham House. Or have I been gone so long that my memory's failing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may be right. I never know what to call it. It's College Street for a short distance through downtown, then becomes Bumcombe Street, then it becomes Rutherford Street, then Poinsett Highway. I thought it became Poinsett Highway at Cherrydale; however, you could be right - it may become Poinsett Highway where Rutherford veers off.

You are correct, much of it is not in the city. 

This would be a logic area to target next.  However, I would rather the city finish the things on it's plate now, rather than add more at this time.  There is still plenty of work to do on Pleasantburg and Church St. for instance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. The city should finish the areas that have been started, however I think Knox and the guys are multi-taskers and could start more projects. :D

Knox White for Governor! He's the man!

I'd personally like to see the stretch of road leading out of town on 123 toward Easley and Clemson redeveloped. (Easley Bridge Road, I believe?) As is, it's rather scary, and as close to downtown and the West End as it is, it seems viable. Perhaps if it were, the suburbs on that side of town would grow like Greer and Simpsonville have.

Archived