Haydon Burns RFP Thread

bobliocatt

"Word on the street" is that Atkins won the RFP. I just got a call from someone who got a call from someone with the Atkins LLC. So take that rumor for what it's worth.

I hope everyone is happy. If Atkins actually works out, I'll be happy too. But I swear, if 1) they ask for incentives, 2) demolish the library and fail to construct their building for years and years, 3) fail to actually deliver on their promise for a movie theater and "barnes & noble type retailer," or 4) pull a switcheroo and build a building uglier or less urban than the renderings ..... you all will NEVER hear the end of it from me. I'll be beotching for the next 50 years!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, that deserves a correction. Even if my rumor is correct, nobody "wins the RFP" ... the winner merely earned the support of the committee. They mayor and city council will both have the oppotunity to overturn that suggestion, and the city council alone will declare a winner. (I think)

EDIT ... the TU confirms it. Atkins was chosen.

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/...s_library.shtml

^Oh I hope you're right!!! Regardless of what's proposed from all the RFP's, I dont care. (I lost track of them all in the midst of all the editorials lol.) I just want to see the old library go. Like one of the forumers said earlier, if it was a building worth keeping and saving, the library wouldnt have had to build a new building.

EDIT: Yes!!!

My sigh of relief was heard for miles. :D

Assuming that Atkins gets the final sign-off, I certainly hope that the city works with both Main Branch LLC and Peterbrooke to take their projects to different locations. The grocer included in the Main Branch proposal would especially be a welcomed additon to downtown.

Jacksonvillian, congrats and let us know the details as they flesh out on this project.

What a relief. Now I may actually go see the Willy Wonka movie. I tell you what, I was very close to believing a movie had brainwashed our city council into believing Chocolate factories were the next big thing.

And now, the Looooonnnggg wait....... (crosses fingers)

Jacksonvillian ... how is Atkins planning on providing parking? Will there be a parking garage above ground in the building? I know someone said that they would use the basement for parking, but that's not much space. That space alone couldn't even hold enough cars for the condo residents, let alone any retail customers.

Here is a color rendering of the project from today's FL T-U:

81208_400.jpg

By the way, the Peterbrooke people showed very little class in reacting to the news that they were not chosen:

"We're considering a plan B, but we're not prepared to speak about it now," Behringer said after the meeting. "It won't be downtown Jacksonville, that's for sure."

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19200309.shtml

It looks like they werent all that committed to downtown after all. Talk about sour grapes. I am even more happy that they lost now.

^^^ I thought the same thing. I hope once the 'sting' has had time to ease, they will reconsider. I hope the city and DVI will try to change their minds. I do think it shows they were more interested in getting a cheap building, rather than help downtown or save the architecture.

They seem so obliviousl to the fact that they were paying a faction of the buildings value.

Atkins said his group plans to close the deal within the next three or four months and could begin work as soon as the city opens the new Main Library on Hemming Plaza. Construction could take 18 to 20 months. Atkins Group, like each of the three finalists, said it they would not ask the city for economic incentives for the their project.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19200309.shtml

I think this passage also answers many of the critics of the Atkins proposal. Specifically, Atkins (1) does not plan to ask for incentives and (2) intends to start right away. This, combined with having the highest offer by far, clearly put them over the top. Maybe Atkins has lined up alternate financing or has deep pockets and can self-finance the deal. It sounds like they will get moving right after the City conveys them the property. This is good news.

I also hope that Peterbrooke will reconsider another place downtown. They should be downtown - just not at this location. And, same for the 3rd group which included Allegretti and Jack Shad. They seem to be good guys and they should continue to be involved downtown.

Keep in mind that "getting started" could simply mean pre-selling the units or demolition of the existing building. I can't see anyone spending that kind of money without some pre-sales.

It does sound as if they want to get things rolling ASAP, which is of course great news.

I also hope that Peterbrooke will reconsider another place downtown.  They should be downtown - just not at this location.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"We're considering a plan B, but we're not prepared to speak about it now," Behringer said after the meeting. "It won't be downtown Jacksonville, that's for sure."

Talk about poor sportsmanship.

I'm not suprised to see them say something like this. It was very clear from the beginning that they were only interested in getting 105,000sf of clear space for only $1 million and that they could care less about the building's architecture or contributing to the downtown environment. If they don't won't to be a part of downtown, so be it. There's plenty of vacant warehouses, industrial spaces and old Winn-Dixies around town.

It actually realy annoys me that they are acting this way. They were given more leverage and coverage than any other proposal BY FAR. it was voted on twice, publicly. Both times, they lost the bid. I understand being upset you didnt get the land you wanted, but that real estate, you dont always get the house you want. If they are going to be so childish as to say "but it wont be downtown thats for sure" then we realy dont need them donwtown. I personally thought they would be best in the landing. and yes it would be a nice addition to DT, but dont be so sensitive when you dont get EXACTLY what you want, the way you want, when you want.

Cheers

Letters from readers

OLD MAIN LIBRARY

Demolition is a travesty

Last Friday's award to the Atkins Group, which will demolish the old Main Library, is a travesty.

The harried Jacksonville Economic Development Commission and its new matrix evaluation procedure is a pathetic and failed attempt to regain respect after its management failures. (The $36 million advance for the Shipyard project is but one example.)

Why should the iconic and historic library building be sacrificed for the $3.5 million nominal difference between the Peterbrooke and Atkins proposals?

Does Jacksonville need more condominiums at the expense of a 40-year-old landmark building and the loss of an opportunity to create a unique tourist attraction?

Are there not alternative and cheaper sites for the Atkins proposal, which would eliminate blighted empty space downtown while retaining the only sparkling gem in a sea of urban sameness?

TAYLOR HARDWICK, architect, Jacksonville

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19215087.shtml

^He's the Architect who designed the building. So of course, to him, its an icon that deserves to be saved at all costs. Nevertheless, I think its still a stretch to say that its the only sparkling gem in a sea of urban sameness. There are a lot of impressive buildings in downtown, including one (the original library) right across the street.

Talk about poor sportsmanship.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe Behringer is using psychological tactics in making this statement, i.e., if he firmly and adamantly states that he is finished with downtown, then he may get an offer from city officials, or someone else, that he cannot refuse.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Letters from readers

OLD MAIN LIBRARY

Demolition is a travesty

Last Friday's award to the Atkins Group, which will demolish the old Main Library, is a travesty.

The harried Jacksonville Economic Development Commission and its new matrix evaluation procedure is a pathetic and failed attempt to regain respect after its management failures. (The $36 million advance for the Shipyard project is but one example.)

Why should the iconic and historic library building be sacrificed for the $3.5 million nominal difference between the Peterbrooke and Atkins proposals?

Does Jacksonville need more condominiums at the expense of a 40-year-old landmark building and the loss of an opportunity to create a unique tourist attraction?

Are there not alternative and cheaper sites for the Atkins proposal, which would eliminate blighted empty space downtown while retaining the only sparkling gem in a sea of urban sameness?

TAYLOR HARDWICK, architect, Jacksonville

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19215087.shtml

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IT'S ALL IN THE NAME OF PROGRESS MY CHAPS, PROGRESS AND BEATING THE OTHER COMPETITORS.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

That dude has got to be kidding!  That piece of junk.  That building is no "icon".  I'd rather see it go.  There are alternatives for the other proposals as well.  I think Ocean Square could work best where it will be situated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always thought that the architecture for the old main library was ugly, cluttered and uninteresting to say the least. Actually, it's not that old of a building so I wouldn't be so quick to say that it is an icon and in my own personal opinion, certainly not a building yet worthy of historical significance or preservation.

FLORDIA SKYRISE ORDER

[rant]

I wish that old bag Taylor Hardwick would shut is trap! Gimme a break! I didn't see him complaining when Klutho's city hall was torn down.

"Does Jacksonville need more condominiums at the expense of a 40-year-old landmark building and the loss of an opportunity to create a unique tourist attraction?"

Uh, last time I checked, the answer is DUH!!! Every single downtown organization clearly says that we need more residents downtown. So there, boo ya!

[/rant]

Archived