Haydon Burns RFP Thread

bobliocatt

Is anyone going to attend the City Council meeting tonight at 6:00 pm?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know there are some big Atkins fans out there.

If there were ever a time to go and support his proposal it would be now. These are the kind of things where a turn out can make a difference, especially when one is not expected.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest Update on Haydon Burns...

During last week's meeting between Atkins and JEDC, it was revealed that the Haydon Burns site has major hazardous material contamination issues derived from old petroleum tanks buried on site for use by the 1964 mechanical systems of the library.

Apparently, the City had a PHASE 2 environmental study which defined the contaminations prior to the RFP bid date, but did not disclose this information to any of the applicants.

From what I understand, arsenic levels are 2 times higher than allowed, and petroleum hydrocarbons, lead and mercury levels are 3 times higher than allowed... and all will require remediation of the site.

Just another twist to this already suspect process!

- J

Latest Update on Haydon Burns...

During last week's meeting between Atkins and JEDC, it was revealed that the Haydon Burns site has major hazardous material contamination issues derived from old petroleum tanks buried on site for use by the 1964 mechanical systems of the library.

Apparently, the City had a PHASE 2 environmental study which defined the contaminations prior to the RFP bid date, but did not disclose this information to any of the applicants.

From what I understand, arsenic levels are 2 times higher than allowed, and petroleum hydrocarbons, lead and mercury levels are 3 times higher than allowed... and all will require remediation of the site.

Just another twist to this already suspect process!

- J

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whoa

Any word on what happened at the City Council meeting last night?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I happened to tune in to the council meeting on TV (I really do have a life)

and the AIA was out in force along with Dr. Wayne Wood and Taylor Hardwick himself- All pleading the case of the Haydon Burns and extolling its virtues. There were at least 10 speakers for supporting the resolution to provide historic designation for the structure, and about 3 against. (Unless I missed something before I tuned in)

While I agree with the sentiment of preserving our heritage, and that the Haydon Burns is iconic of a period of time in Jax, where were these folks during the RFP process?

Archived