Holland and Grand Haven Developments

PBJ

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holland can still be a great little city if they can turn around the downtown (which has great architecture) and start redeveloping some the sites like the Baker furniture factory. Good for Holland.

Joe

Even though this isn't in the greater grand rapids area, i though I'd post a link to a nice development project out here in Holland.  The Baker furniture factory is being converted into loft living spaces and mixed retail.

update8.jpg

Baker Lofts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, everytime I go to Downtown Holland I think that it's too bad that such a small town has a better "Main" Street than we do. If only Monroe Center was as vibrant with retail as 8th street....IT'S GETTING THERE, THOUGH!

:)

What's wrong with the downtown?  There's all kinds of retail and restaurants and such...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sentiments exactly. There are all kinds of condo projects going on from 6th Street to 8th Street near River Street, there is a new mixed use developent right at College and 8th with an Irish Pub, retail and office/condos in it, the Bank of Holland building is very nice (nicer than their Cherry Street Landing office), there is a new "Western Gateway" near the Civic Auditorium with a new outdoor market planned, a new police/courthouse being built, and they are redeveloping the whole riverfront from downtown to Kollen Park, with a new multi-story restaurant in the works, and improvements planned for the cruise ship docks. And the new Hope College Fieldhouse is being built where the old foundry was (by the brewpub), and the old train station there is to die for. And to get a condo above any of the retail stores downtown is almost impossible due to demand from professors and such. It has been a few years since I have been there, but the downtown was hopping then.

If it weren't for the darn clogs ;)

If it weren't for the darn clogs  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ease off the clogs.. I've seen people here at work with them on greeting customers in full dutch outfits... :rofl:

I love the downtown area here, but for some reason I don't see myself moving all the way out here. It seems the "night life" just isn't the same as GR (for obvious reasons, including the fact its Ottawa county)

Let me rephrase that... :) I love downtown Holland too (just don't venture too far of the main strip). What I am talking about is the loss of some of their retail that they have been experiencing in recent years.

I still would take the hustle in bustle of Holland retail over downtown GR's retail. :)

Joe

What's wrong with the downtown?  There's all kinds of retail and restaurants and such...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any further word on the 280 foot tall, 6000+ foot long steel rollercoaster for Summer 2006 at Michigan's Adventure? NOW THAT AREA is poised to become THE summer destination in Metro Grand Rapids specifically and Michigan in general - BAR NONE!! Bring on the giga-coasters!

Hey guys. Have enjoying lurking around this forum for a few months now.

I just had to add my two cents to this one. I was just in Holland this past weekend, and have to say their downtown is looking pretty good. I didn't see any vacant storefronts, and as a matter of fact they have added a number of stores since I was there last. Both Cold Stone and Ben & Jerry's were represented, as well as that high end woman's retailer Chico's. Also stopped in to a cool new place called Three Chairs Co. Very cool furniture.

I think I also read that Holland was recently a National Trust for Historic Preservation Main Street award winner. All and all it looks like the Tulip City is doing very well for themselves. It's only a 25 to 30 minute drive from GR, give it a try this summer!

mpchicago

Plus there's the new Hope College deVos Fieldhouse under construction. This will provide a solid anchor for the eastern end of the downtown. If the prosed "roundabout" or traffic circle happens in this area, downtown Holland will be the coolest around! Unlike GR, Holland has a beautifully renovated historic train depot for AMTRAK service. Like GR, Holland's MAX transportation system is a budding public transit system with fixed routes and on-demand service.

Then, on the west end end of downtown, a major new restaurant and perhaps hotel is being considered adjacent to Kollen park and just down the street from the newly renovated "8th Street Market" which houses the farmers market and other open air activities.

Downtown Holland has a brand new police building, a new court house is underway, 3 or 4 new major bank buildings completed or proposed, Hope College expanding everywhere, and the 50 year old civic center is about to be renovated/torn down, etc.

Frankly, it's hard just keeping up with the projects. And most of them have been/are being down with an eye to maintaining the existing or recreating the old architecture and small town feel.

There are virtually no empty storefronts downtown. Sidewalk entertainment is now a regular thing, along with weekly Friday evening concerts in Centennial park (the authentic victorian park downtown), public art abounds, and a nightlife is actually happenin'. Between Lemonjellos and JP's coffee shop for the kiddies, and the New Holland Brew Pub and Curragh Irish Pub for the partiers, it's lively and fun downtown. Plus great restaurants such as Alpen Rose, 'Til Midnight, 84 east, 8th Street Grille, and others.

Whew!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a new one for Holland. The recently relocated 8th Street Market Place is hosting their "Kerstmarkt", a European Christmas Market, from 3-8 on Fridays and 10-5 on Saturdays until Dec. 10th. Here's a picture I found on-line of the new market from this past summer:

REc_marketplace.jpg

Downtown Holland is a great place to Christmas shop and spend locally.

(BTW: this topic was renamed)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived