Winn Dixie closing Charlotte stores, dstrbtn cntr.

DigitalSky

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres the problem. as it has been stated, most of these charlotte locations are in the "poorer" areas of town (where i live). so not only are these areas losing a cheaper option to HT, they most likely will gain a freakin' big empty box. but hey, i guess you need one to match the other freakin' empty boxes. i don't have a solution...it justs seems irresponsible to leave these areas with more urban litter.

also, what about a grocery co-op? durham has one that i would go to - it didn't take up enough space to fill the above mentioned voids but might could work in some of these locales. the great thing about the co-op was not only was the food usually much cheaper, it was of better quality.

also, i would love to see WELLSPRING come to charlotte.

heres the problem.  as it has been stated, most of these charlotte locations are in the "poorer" areas of town (where i live).  so not only are these areas losing a cheaper option to HT, they most likely will gain a freakin' big empty box.  but hey, i guess you need one to match the other freakin' empty boxes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/11953131.htm

yeah it's mentioned in this article.. retail analysts say more likely some will be left empty than filled.. and that it's more likely grocery chains already in the area may fill former wd stores rather than new chains

and this

Companies most likely to benefit directly from Winn-Dixie's Charlotte exit, Warren said, include Lowes Foods, which is in the midst of an expansion in the Charlotte area; Bi-Lo, which is retooling following a buyout earlier this year by Dallas-based Lone Star Funds; and Food Lion. Also poised to benefit is Wal-Mart, whose dominance of the U.S. grocery market has been credited with pushing Winn-Dixie and other struggling grocers into financial troubles.

Officials with Lowes Foods, Food Lion, Bi-Lo and Harris Teeter told the Observer on Tuesday they are potential buyers for available Winn-Dixie locations, but said it's too soon to give specifics.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/11953131.htm

yeah it's mentioned in this article.. retail analysts say more likely some will be left empty than filled.. and that it's more likely grocery chains already in the area may fill former wd stores rather than new chains

and this

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just hate to see all of those jobs go. Especially the distribution center of WD in Matthews (I believe :huh: ). Some of those jobs are actually decent paying ones for a blue collar base that Charlotte needs for a nice diversified employee base.

:(

A2

^ I've heard of Save-A-Lot, but I've never heard of Go-Grocery.

If the Observer's theory is right, I think Food Lion will end up with a lot of closed Winn-Dixies in NC and SC when the deal goes down, at least the desirable ones. I know around here that the only occupied former Winn-Dixies are the ones Food Lion took over. It helps that they both cater to the same kind of middelbrow customer.

^ I've heard of Save-A-Lot, but I've never heard of Go-Grocery.

If the Observer's theory is right, I think Food Lion will end up with a lot of closed Winn-Dixies in NC and SC when the deal goes down, at least the desirable ones.  I know around here that the only occupied former Winn-Dixies are the ones Food Lion took over.  It helps that they both cater to the same kind of middelbrow customer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go-Grocery has stores in western NC.. i think there are some in Asheville.

There was a new article today, btw in the Observer talking about the new competition arising to traditional grocery stores such as warehouse clubs, supercenters, specialty food/organic food markets and basically how the grocery store and grocery store employee has changed over the past decade. http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/11962538.htm

This is truly sad. The economic fall out I think is going to greater than we once realized with the loss of jobs. Check out this site. It is the Chambers 25 employers as listed by employee population. Guess what??? Winn-Dixie is in it. 2500+ employees in CLT alone!

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...content_id=1738

Someone get on the "bat phone" and call Publix now. We need to replace these guys and fast.

They have more employees in CLT than both TIME WARNER and freggin WAL-MART !!! WHOA.....not good, not good at all. I really did not realize the scope of Winn-Dixe until I did a little digging. I think I might be sad now. :cry:

Bi-Lo considers Charlotte to be one of their core markets, so it would be interesting to see some former Winn-Dixie stores converted into Bi-Lo stores. Even though Bi-Lo has announced its attempts to divest itself out of the Greensboro and Fayetteville areas, it is rumored its seeking to acquire an existing chain in the area that is known fairly well.

This is truly sad. The economic fall out I think is going to greater than we once realized with the loss of jobs. Check out this site. It is the Chambers 25 employers as listed by employee population. Guess what??? Winn-Dixie is in it. 2500+ employees in CLT alone!

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...content_id=1738

Someone get on the "bat phone" and call Publix now. We need to replace these guys and fast.

They have more employees in CLT than both TIME WARNER and freggin WAL-MART !!! WHOA.....not good, not good at all. I really did not realize the scope of Winn-Dixe until I did a little digging. I think I might be sad now. :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least Prairie Container's announcement of a new plant in the county will help to counter balance that a bit by 400+ jobs.

"Does anyone think Wal-Mart's Neighborhood Market concept could be a possibility for some of these stores?"

A possibility but I hope it doesn't happen. The last thing the region needs are more Walmarts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Supposedly, Wal-Mart is very interested in the former W-D stores in Atlanta..they view this an opportunity to exapnd the market concept...

Their demos would fit very nicely with the former W-D locations....

They should find out 10 days from tomorrow the fate of most of these Winn Dixies. Actually they were suppossed to announce it tomorrow but it was postponed.

It doesn't look good for finding a buyer at the Stallings store, but the one in Weddington stands a much better chanceof being bought because of the location and the clientle(sp?)

The people in that area have plenty of places to shop.  According to a map I found, there are 2 Harris Teeters and 1 Food Lion within 6 miles of Stallings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of those people won't shop at the Teeters. They go WD to save money. I would guess most of them are going to go down to F.L., unless H.T. has a killer ad or something.

There's also a Bi-LO in Indian Trail, and a super Wal-Mart under construction across from Kate's skating rink.

Thanks for that map, better than the one I found on Google. Potter's Square may be a good place for another Aldi's, but the WD building is too big. I never thought about the developments down Potter towards Chesnut. They are building a lot of more upscale developments now, but it's weird it's like that 1/4 mile radius around Potter Square belongs in like a Rock Hill scene or something (if you get my drift).

Archived