Winn Dixie closing Charlotte stores, dstrbtn cntr.

DigitalSky

Will anyone miss that distinctive Winn-Dixie smell? Call me crazy, but all their stores have this really strange smell.

At first I thought it was because I was going to older stores with worse maintenence, but I remember going to the WD Marketplace store at South Blvd. and Arrowood right after it opened and the smell was already there!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will anyone miss that distinctive Winn-Dixie smell?  Call me crazy, but all their stores have this really strange smell. 

At first I thought it was because I was going to older stores with worse maintenence, but I remember going to the WD Marketplace store at South Blvd. and Arrowood right after it opened and the smell was already there!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm sure some marketing team worked very hard to create that specific smell.

20% Spring Fresh Cotton Linen

30% Atlantic City Oxygen

20% Roasted Pine Cone

25% Essense of hot buttered rum

5% East African Rhino Pheramone

^ yeah, along with the smell, Winn-Dixie had the very '60s store designs going well into the '80s. Then there was thr 'neon and shiny walls' period, and the lately it was the pink and green walls with parabolic lighting. They redeemed themselves somewhat on the tackiness, but the smell was still there.

and a super Wal-Mart under construction across from Kate's skating rink.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow i did not realize this! another Wal-Mart for Hwy 74..

Anyway, I drove down into Stallings today (i smelled something burning there, is that normal?).. drove around saw some new developments..drove down to where the food lion was too, but i wouldn't be surprised if Food Lion took over the Potters location

Wow i did not realize this!  another Wal-Mart for Hwy 74..

Anyway, I drove down into Stallings today (i smelled something burning there, is that normal?).. drove around saw some new developments..drove down to where the food lion was too, but i wouldn't be surprised if Food Lion took over the Potters location

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well up to this point no one's bid on the Stallings store. Which doesn't surprise me, but the Weddington store has a bid on it. You can look at the WD website to see which stores have bids on them. Although it doesn't tell you who's interested <_<

I knew the Weddington one would have a bid in a heartbeat http://www.winndixie.com/locations/list.asp and Northcross too, not surprising

Anyone care to speculate on who might be bidding..

For Northcross, I say Bi-Lo, just because Lowes, Food Lion and HT (under construction) is already along that road, and since we are still one of Bi-Lo's core markets.

For the weddington one, I'm thinking probably Lowes Foods... if it's Harris Teeter then i'll be damned... and if it's Food Lion then i'll be surprised

I knew the Weddington one would have a bid in a heartbeat http://www.winndixie.com/locations/list.asp and Northcross too, not surprising

Anyone care to speculate on who might be bidding..

For Northcross, I say Bi-Lo, just because Lowes, Food Lion and HT (under construction) is already along that road, and since we are still one of Bi-Lo's core markets.

For the weddington one, I'm thinking probably Lowes Foods... if it's Harris Teeter then i'll be damned... and if it's Food Lion then i'll be surprised

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For Weddington I have mostly been hearing a lot talk of Lowe's coming in there, but in the past couple of days a lot of people have been saying HT, and that they're going to leave it empty just so no one else can have it.I'm pretty sure that one is probably just a rumor, although I wouldn't put it past them. :rolleyes:

For Weddington I have mostly been hearing a lot talk of Lowe's coming in there, but in the past couple of days a lot of people have been saying HT, and that they're going to leave it empty just so no one else can have it.I'm pretty sure that one is probably just a rumor, although I wouldn't put it past them. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really hope that HT doesn't just buy it and leave it empty. That would be sickening, at least let the center thrive.

I really hope that HT doesn't just buy it and leave it empty.  That would be sickening, at least let the center thrive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seriously doubt they would do that. The people of Weddington probably wouldn't stand for it :unsure: .I think it will most likely be a Lowes or Food Lion since neither one of them have anything around there(yeah I know F.L. has one in Waxhaw, but that's like 10 miles away).

I seriously doubt they would do that. The people of Weddington probably wouldn't stand for it :unsure: .I think it will most likely be a Lowes or Food Lion since neither one of them have anything around there(yeah I know F.L. has one in Waxhaw, but that's like 10 miles away).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok.. putting money on Lowes Foods then.

Here are more speculations from me on Some of the ones that have been bid on (heres the link again http://www.winndixie.com/locations/list.asp )... (just chooisng from local grocers, haven't really deicded if others [Kroger, Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Ingles..] would come into the market)

Charlotte area:

York Marketplace, York, SC: Food Lion

Peachtree Plaza, Fort Mill, SC: Bi-Lo

Lake Wylie, SC: Lowes Foods

Greensboro area:

New Garden Road, Greensboro: Harris Teeter

Forest Oaks, Greensboro: Food Lion

High Point Mall: HT

Raleigh area:

Brier Creek: Harris Teeter

Falls of Neuse: Kroger

^ nice speculation there, cantnot.  High Point Mall, for one, could use an updated HT and not having WD in the way could get that going.

You posted the same link I saw earlier today :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks. Yeah it's totally unnecessary to have two grocers in that same shopping center, and being High Point's only other Harris Teeter store (besides Deep River), it would be nice to see an update to it.

One thing I will say for the current High Point Mall HT is that architecturally it has one of the more dramatic front-ends in the city. The soaring space at the entrance is very cool and something that is uniquely '80s. Spaces like that aren't really done in grocery stores anymore.

Ok.. putting money on Lowes Foods then.

Here are more speculations from me on Some of the ones that have been bid on (heres the link again http://www.winndixie.com/locations/list.asp )... (just chooisng from local grocers, haven't really deicded if others [Kroger, Publix, Piggly Wiggly, Ingles..] would come into the market)

Charlotte area:

York Marketplace, York, SC: Food Lion

Peachtree Plaza, Fort Mill, SC: Bi-Lo

Lake Wylie, SC: Lowes Foods

Greensboro area:

New Garden Road, Greensboro: Harris Teeter

Forest Oaks, Greensboro: Food Lion

High Point Mall: HT

Raleigh area:

Brier Creek: Harris Teeter

Falls of Neuse: Kroger

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope....only HT and Bi-Lo have bid on these so far, according to the CLT Observer.

Most of these are probably HT

And you forgot to list the Sam Furr Rd. HT in Huntersville.

Nope....only HT and Bi-Lo have bid on these so far, according to the CLT Observer.

Most of these are probably HT

And you forgot to list the Sam Furr Rd. HT in Huntersville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I made these speculations before the Observer reported that Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo have only made bids. And i did speculate in an earlier post that Bi-Lo would take the Sam Furr location

also.. this is from the Miami Herald today

Supervalu Retailers, based in Minneapolis is seeking the largest number of Winn-Dixie stores, according to the bankruptcy filing. Supervalu bid $9.5 million for 37 stores in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia.

BI-LO, based in Greenville, S.C., bid $9 million for 20 different stores in Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Harris Teeter Inc., based in Matthews, N.C., bid $16.75 million for nine other stores, all in North Carolina.

Calls to Supervalu, BI-Lo and Harris Teeter were not immediately returned.

Also new:

according to the News/Record Greensboro

It's official, Harris Teeter's bid on these stores in the Greensboro area:

265 Eastchester Drive in High Point

5322 Liberty Road, Greensboro

1605 New Garden Road Greensboro

2727 S. Church St. Burlington.

according to the News&Observer Raleigh

Harris Teeter's bid on:

Brier Creek store

Falls of Neuse Store (which is ridiculously close to their store on Falls of Neuse and Spring Forest Road)

so that narrows down 6 of the 9 stores Harris Teeter's bid on... so i'm guessing the other 3 are Weddington Corners, Sam Furr Road and the one in Boone.

Edit:

Here's my rundown with the list provided

Mecklenburg County:

Harris Teeter really wants that store on New Garden Rd?  Last time I was there there was not a lot of space, and it was pretty old.  Maybe they'll make it an express store or something though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a large Winn-Dixie 54,000 square foot store right now in a thriving upscale shopping center (recently opened a Carrabba's)

gardencreek.jpg

Image from Sexton Construction - apparently it opened in 1999 so it's not old either

Archived