1. 1. Are you Yankee or Dixie? Take the test below

• Yankee
    • Dixie
    • Undetermined

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"41% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category." :huh:

I'm P**sed :angry: I lived in Michingan for 18 years. I think they weighted these questions wrong (either that or my 8 years in the south is really starting to take it's toll. :lol: ). Oh well, it was bound to happen one day. I still say pop instead of soda though, I'm never giving that one up. :P

Yes, I've taken this quiz before and always score 45% Yankee, even though I've lived all my life in Massachusetts, Maine, New York, and Rhode Island. I don't know how much more Northern I could get without being Canadian. A lot of the questions on the quiz simply don't apply to me.

3. How do you pronounce creek?

I would pronounce it to rhyme with meek, but I almost have no need for this word as we don't have very many things called creeks up here. They're rivers or streams, or brooks... creek is a very rare word. And rhymes with meek returns no geographic distinction.

4. How do you pronounce the second syllable in pajamas?

I say it to rhyme with father, but that comes back as southeast, whereas rhymes with jam comes back as northeastern. I suppose there are a lot of people up here who say it that way, but where I'm from (Cape Cod) we don't.

5. How do you pronounce route?

Rhymes with toot. Returns as Great Lakes to Tennessee, that doesn't make anyone clearly one or the other.

7. How do you address a group of people?

You all (Common nearly everywhere ("you guys" favors northern)). Well, that's actually what I would say, you guys, but it's not an actual choice so apparently doesn't give me any northern points.

8. What kind of sale is it on the front lawn?

Yard Sale (All of U.S.; slightly favors the southeast). So does that give me Dixie points?

The next one really annoys me.

9. What's that long sandwich with lots of cold cuts and toppings?

I would call a long cold cut sandwich a sub. But one of the choices is grinder which returns a western New England geography. But in Eastern Mass. a grinder is a hot sub.

This one's weird:

15. Where might you get water in a public building?

How did Massachusetts and Wisconsin (which aren't exactly near each other) end up using this word?

16. What is that bubbly carbonated drink called?

Tonic, which isn't a choice.

Then there's the ultimate reason this quiz doesn't work, I wouldn't nor would most people I know, ever call myself a Yankee. It has nothing to do with the baseball rivalry, we just don't call ourselves that. So I guess it's OK that I'm only 45% Yankee, since I personally don't call myself one.

45% (yankee) Barely into the yankee category.

I was raised in the Norfolk VA area, now living in NJ.

My mom is from Philly and I use some of her words and pronunciations.

My answers:

Aunt like the word caught

caramel is 2 syllables, not 3

creek rhymes with meek

pajamas: either

route rhymes with toot

cot and caught are NOT pronounced the same

You all (or guys)

garage sale

sub, though sometimes hoagie slips out (total Philly)

Crawfish

Sneakers

Frosting

Service road

Bag

Water fountain

Soda

TP'ing

Mischief Night

BREW THRU!

Roly poly

OK, Please tell me how these are not pronounced the same, I can't figure it out.

Ok cot is pronounced like lot, mott, hot. The short o has an almost "ah" sound. (i.e. doctor)

caught is pronounced like fraught. The au has an almost "aw" sound. (i.e. aw shucks)

I'm still not getting it, I'd pronounce all those words with the same sound.

Really? If I had a mic I'd record myself saying these for ya. They're two very different sounds.

You say "park in the lot" with the same sound you'd say "Awww what a cute puppy!" ???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived