Retail blunders or idiocies...

To start off with...why are there two Wachovia's within 1000 ft. of each other in the Arboretum Shopping Center area? I know one of them used to be a First Union, but come on! There's not that much bank traffic backup to support having FOUR ATMS within that small of an area. No wonder why I switched from Wachovia to another bank. Their checking account fees are paying for this.

Also, everyone talks about the Harris Teeter building stores close to each other, but what about any other chains who do this.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those redundant Wachovia locations do get on my nerves, but the ones I know of were the old Wachovias and the First Unions. The Wachovia on North Tryon is only a mile from Sugar Creek and Davidson. When I went to Saint Augustine football game in Raleight, South Trust and Wachovia were often found right across from each other, so with the merger they either close the Wachovia or South Trust branch.

Wachovia runs several branches that are only hundreds of feet apart, and and Harris Teeter is trying to plant stores a mile aprt or so in south Charlotte.

The only other retailer that comes to mind that did this was Revco drugstores, and they paid for their redunancy with a bankruptcy filing.

Does anyone know about the 2 Wachovias on hwy 51 right across from Carmel Commons, they are literally right across the street from each other. It's kind of nice cause I get to decide which one i want to use, and it comes in handy when one of them is out of deposit envelopes.

The only other retailer that comes to mind that did this was Revco drugstores, and they paid for their redunancy with a bankruptcy filing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhh....Revco. Now that was a drug store chain.

Sure, they went bankrupt, but they really recovered before being bought by CVS.

Their new stores were always really clean and uncluttered.

I think the biggest retail blunder recently is Saks Fifth Avenue's decision to anchor a small development by a local developer rather than try to land at SouthPark.  So we get an empty hole in the ground and no Saks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Typically, when the hole is empty that means no Saks. :rofl:

I couldn't resist.

Seriously, that was a huge mistake for Saks to snub SouthPark for Seven Eagles. The upside is that we're getting Neiman-Marcus instead of Saks. The downside is that there's a mosquito pit at the corner of Park and Glengales.

Maybe we could do a store swap. If Saks reconsiders Charlotte, we could put Saks in Dick's place at SouthPark and put Dick's in Dee Dee's hole. :D

Typically, when the hole is empty that means no Saks.  :rofl:

I couldn't resist.

Seriously, that was a huge mistake for Saks to snub SouthPark for Seven Eagles.  The upside is that we're getting Neiman-Marcus instead of Saks.  The downside is that there's a mosquito pit at the corner of Park and Glengales.

Maybe we could do a store swap.  If Saks reconsiders Charlotte, we could put Saks in Dick's place at SouthPark and put Dick's in Dee Dee's hole. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good one SR :rofl:

I think a good thing would be if Saks Incorporated, since it's soon to be down to Saks Fifth Avenue and Parisian, opened a lifestyle center near SouthPark Mall anchored by those two chains.  That could complement the mall, just as Phipps Plaza complements Lenox Square.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where would they put it thought? SouthPark is running out of room

Where would they put it thought? SouthPark is running out of room

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you'll see Dick's go away. I hear rumors that the store's numbers really aren't that good. Second floor space lost on most consumers when it's not a traditional department or highly specialized store. If it were REI or Galyan's, climbing gear or other "get it here only" goods would be located on the second floor, drawing customers up there. At Dick's, going up the escalator only gets you to products you can buy anywhere.

My guess is that eventually, Dick's will shutter the store (and problably lots of other former Galyan's...poor choice of marketing on Dick's part...they could have retained the Galyan's name and products, giving them a whole new client base, but they chose to use their suburban strip mall model...oh well). It will then either be demolished or converted to a possible anchor like Saks.

^ That store has its good days and its bad days. I've been sometimes when it was really busy and then sometimes it's dead as 4:00.

I think the two level layout does cause it some problems like csedwards72 suggested. People aren't willing to go upstairs as much.

I've kind of been on the fence about that store. I was disappointed that it wasn't a Galyans and I've said numerous times that it should be home to Saks instead. Then again, adding Saks would really be adding more of the same, especially when 2 (soon to be 3) of the four (five) anchors at SouthPark offer similar upmarket brands.

A store like Dick's offers something a little different from the other retailers at SouthPark and malls need some diversity to survive. I think there are a lot of people looking for something other than just high fashion from SouthPark, too. That was evident when so many people had strong feelings when Sears left.

IMO, we'll have to let the sales numbers do the talking on this one.

Archived