State flags

krazeeboi

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that this site did clarify for me was the significance of those two dates on NC's state flag. Originally, one of the dates signified NC's secession from the Union, but after the war, it was changed. Also one of those dates is in dispute, as it is based on some type of document known as the "Mecklenburg Decree" or something like that, but there is very little evidence that this document existed in the first place. I thought that was interesting.

One thing that this site did clarify for me was the significance of those two dates on NC's state flag. Originally, one of the dates signified NC's secession from the Union, but after the war, it was changed. Also one of those dates is in dispute, as it is based on some type of document known as the "Mecklenburg Decree" or something like that, but there is very little evidence that this document existed in the first place. I thought that was interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Mecklenburg Declaration is a document that is said to have been signed by a group of North Carolinians declaring independence from Great Britain at least a year before the Declaration of Independence. I know it caused quite a debate between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. Adams presented the document to Jefferson in a letter as a way of questioning Jefferson's originality. I am not sure of the document's validity, and I don't believe that there is any indication that Jefferson knew of the document. I'd be interested to hear from one who knows more.

Archived