New to this Forum: Moving to GR

BostonianinGR

Indeed! This is why I'm pushing for Grand Rapids and hope for the best for it all around. GR has a good head on its shoulder from the core to its last ring of influence.

On the contrary, I look at Metro Detroit as a disaster with little to no control. This is unfortunate, because Michigan's economic performance is no better than the condition of Detroit...city/suburb/and all its influence.

So, while Grand Rapids may shine as a great example of how a metropolis performs in and of itself, it still is forced to respond to what goes on in Metro Detroit...hence the financial "impossibilities". It's very frustrating.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is high time that Grand Rapids gets their cut.  We need better representation at the State level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bring it up with Hardiman or Kooiman. I've recieved prompt, personal responses when writing to them in the past.

Michi:

It is sad when I hear the state of affairs in Detroit.  Like it or not, it is just as important to us that Detroit come out of this successfully.  One thing positive I have to say about GR is that we seem to have very few scandals (I know a few come to mind, but not a great deal) at the high levels of business and government (knock on wood).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I absolutely hate the fact that we have to play 2nd fiddle to that place. This state needs to have a face that isnt SE Michigan and all of its nonsense. I think once GR becomes more known to the nation, the state will be free from the idea that we have to make Detroit work in order for the state to work.

I absolutely hate the fact that we have to play 2nd fiddle to that place. This state needs to have a face that isnt SE Michigan and all of its nonsense. I think once GR becomes more known to the nation, the state will be free from the idea that we have to make Detroit work in order for the state to work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you're right. That would be nice.

Bring it up with Hardiman or Kooiman. I've recieved prompt, personal responses when writing to them in the past.

I actually helped get both of them elected - my friend ran their campaigns.

Yes, they are aware of the uphill battle. However, Westside politicians are still held hostage in the legislature. This is why I think all of West Michigan needs to rally behing Dick DeVos. Whether you like him or not, things will not change until we get a Governor from this side of the state.

Question: When was the last time a governor was elected from West Michigan?

Answer: I can't recall. However, in the meantime, Grand Rapids has produced a president, leaders of various house and senate committees, as well as perhaps one of the most important politicians in the last century - considered to be one of the four elite Congressmen in US history.

What has the East side produced. Other than old line politicians that are elected because well, that's just how it always is. Even when they steal all of the turkeys from the poor for their own Thanksgiving bashes.

Great. All we need is the first governor from West Michigan to be a spoiled rich kid who couldn't run the company he was given on a silver platter. All the folks I know at Alticor say he was abysmal at running it, couldn't make decisions and left when he dug a hole he couldn't see out of. Add to that the right wing agenda he is likely to bring with him (Betsy clinging to his leg), and you have a pure disaster for Michigan.

This is why I think all of West Michigan needs to rally behing Dick DeVos.  Whether you like him or not, things will not change until we get a Governor from this side of the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Devos would be a TRADGEDY to the state. Most of us in Grand Rapids know that Amway is a scam. We don't need schemers and crooks running the state, theres enough from the Detroit suburbs to fill out the senate!

We arent going to get cange unless we kick out the uncooperative state congress. Even our mayor is gettingticked with how the state congress is dragging its butts on the issues at hand. It doesntwant to cooperate, and its trying to strong arm its own agenda into the state, and to be honest, their agenda would ruin us.

This mud slinging by the GOP has hurt this state more then most of us realize.

All the money in the world isn't going to help if our image is strongarming and uninviting.

Anyway, here are a few thoughts on downtown GR:

1.) It seems to me that to get things going we need a few good "anchor stores". By this I mean a couple of stores that a lot of people would want to shop at. Take downtown Boston as a good example. Most of the foot traffic consists of middle income shoppers. You have high end retail in Boston but those people show up in fancy cars and get dropped off at the store front. Most of the pedestrians downtown are a lot of middle to low end shoppers shopping at places like Filenes Basement, TJ Max, Marshalls. Now if GR had a few more large stores, people may have reason to shop there. Few people will go all the way downtown to buy a pair of high end shoes. But, if they can get a bargain, along with enjoying a day at an outdoor mall, and getting some exercise, they might. A Barnes and Nobles with a cafe may also be very suitable. Or perhaps a large Music store (a Virgin or Tower records).

Now, I know most of you may not like large chain retailers. But practically speaking, they are the only ones who have the money to take such risks; if only they can be pursuaded to take such risks.

I agree, with the above and disagree with the post that said that these stores are already in alpine, which doesnt doesnt do much for downtown. downtown needs some national chain retailers and as a byproduct help nurture the existing condo market and add incentives for future condo owners.

I really like the idea of a dt bookstore and Barnes & Noble makes the most sense with Schuler's already having a location on alpine nearby. While it certainly wouldnt encourage surbanites to travel dt to shop, it certainly help downtowners from having to go to surburbia for their bookstore/cafe fix.

To really encourage people from the suburbs to travel dt for shopping dt needs stores not found in the suburbs, with the Apple store being a missed opportunity.

I agree, with the above and disagree with the post that said that these stores are already in alpine, which doesnt doesnt do much for downtown. downtown needs some national chain retailers and as a byproduct help nurture the existing condo market and add incentives for future condo owners.

I really like the idea of a dt bookstore and Barnes & Noble makes the most sense with Schuler's already having a location on alpine nearby. While it certainly wouldnt encourage surbanites to travel dt to shop, it certainly help downtowners from having to go to surburbia for their bookstore/cafe fix.

To really encourage people from the suburbs to travel dt for shopping dt needs stores not found in the suburbs, with the Apple store being a missed opportunity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I meant was, that the stores mentions (TJ max, and Marshalls) are already on alpine and their moving Downtown is just as unlikely as schulers moving DT. The same reason schulers wouldnt move DT, TJ maxx, and Marshalls wont go either. They are already on Alpine, which is the closest market to DT outside of DT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could see how a large bookstore, pharmacy, and some upscale clothing stores downtown would do a lot to lure more condo developments downtown.

I find the argument about needing grocery stores downtown quite humorous myself. I can think of a number of grocery stores within a short drive of downtown: Meijer on Alpine, D&W at Fulton Heights, a grocer on Lake Michigan at Covell (can't think of the name offhand), and I'm sure there are many more. If you are talking to someone who is moving downtown from just about anywhere else in Kent County, they have to be driving a couple of miles to the grocery store now. You can hop the bus out to Meijer on Alpine for sure, or to Knapps Corner Meijer if you want a larger, newer Meijer.

And for those people who can make it out of the grocery store with only two bags (don't know how), aren't there grocery delivery services downtown?

What would be cool would be popular specialty stores, maybe with unique items that people would need. Now granted I have no idea what i'm talking about, but suburbanites would have to leave the confines of the townships and bedroom communities if what they wanted were only downtown.

I find the argument about needing grocery stores downtown quite humorous myself.  I can think of a number of grocery stores within a short drive of downtown:  Meijer on Alpine, D&W at Fulton Heights, a grocer on Lake Michigan at Covell (can't think of the name offhand), and I'm sure there are many more.  If you are talking to someone who is moving downtown from just about anywhere else in Kent County, they have to be driving a couple of miles to the grocery store now.  You can hop the bus out to Meijer on Alpine for sure, or to Knapps Corner Meijer if you want a larger, newer Meijer.

I can agree with this statement. (its a family fare on Lake Michigan and Collindale BTW, and the new Meijer on Lake Michigan and Wilson is also an option for the DT folks.)

We dont neccisarily need a meijer DT< but if one went up, it certainly wouldnt hurt. IT could hurt the one on Alpine, but I don't think that one will be open that much longer.

Great. All we need is the first governor from West Michigan to be a spoiled rich kid who couldn't run the company he was given on a silver platter.

Funny, Amway (Alticor - whatever you want to call them) is doing better than ever.

Look, I am not at all a fan of Amway. But, a business is a business and DeVos/VanAndel lived the dream. They did it right and in my opinion, as well as the courts, they did it right.

The fact of the matter is that GR has better represented the nation than we have our side of the state over the past century. It is high time that influence comes our way and I really don't care who brings it.

I can agree with this statement. (its a family fare on Lake Michigan and Collindale BTW, and the new Meijer on Lake Michigan and Wilson is also an option for the DT folks.)

We dont neccisarily need a meijer DT< but if one went up, it certainly wouldnt hurt. IT could hurt the one on Alpine, but I don't think that one will be open that much longer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I dont' think a full blown meijer is necessary, it would be nice to find a "central" location (monroe mall?) to have a smaller shop such as a D&W lite. A place to go grab bread, maybe some deli meats, the essentials like TP, Laundry Soap etc. A place that if I live on Ionia, I can easily walk up the road grab a few bags and carry them back. Not someplace to go and buy 2 weeks worth of food for a family of 4, but someplace to grab something quick.

Although I dont' think a full blown meijer is necessary, it would be nice to find a "central" location (monroe mall?) to have a smaller shop such as a D&W lite.  A place to go grab bread, maybe some deli meats, the essentials like TP, Laundry Soap etc.  A place that if I live on Ionia, I can easily walk up the road grab a few bags and carry them back.  Not someplace to go and buy 2 weeks worth of food for a family of 4, but someplace to grab something quick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the Grand Central Market will fulfill that need when it opens this fall on Monroe Center. Too bad Bite changed their format, because they originally opened with a higher end market inside.

The fact of the matter is that GR has better represented the nation than we have our side of the state over the past century.  It is high time that influence comes our way and I really don't care who brings it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All the money in the world isnt going to help if we have a bad image. Devos would give this area a bad image, theres just no doubt about that. What we need isnt a representative from this side of the state. What we need are just good representatives. The people who represent us in the congress want to CUT funding to all sides of the state across the board, and are unwilling to compromise on tearing the government apart! Adding Devos could ruin the state.

I LIKE the "Cool Cities" initiative, I think thats the best way for all of us to get much needed funding, and so do most mayors all across the state. I think the GOPs in congress trying to cling onto their antiquated proposal A is rediculous. They want NO compromise. I don't want the systematic elimination of the state government that someone like Devos would bring.

Want to REALLY impact GR? get rid of some of the obstructionists in the legislature!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly agree. But 5 million people in one confined (getting more dispursed) area is half the state's representation. It's going to be a while before that happens. The animal is getting larger, not smaller. :(

I honestly agree.  But 5 million people in one confined (getting more dispursed) area is half the state's representation.  It's going to be a while before that happens.  The animal is getting larger, not smaller. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I plan to move to downtown GR next year from Metro Detroit. Three stores I will miss: Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Crate and Barrel. I personally like the idea of not using my car so much and walking to buy groceries.

A Whole Foods has been brought up on this forum before as a great addition to downtown retail. I happened to find this page on Whole Foods' website regarding what they look for in a potential site:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/realestate/index.html

Let's see:

1. Check

2. Possibly. I can think of one of the buildings proposed for Mid Towne Village, that might have highway visibility, foot traffic from Heritage Hill/downtown area, and Michigan Street/College traffic:

http://public.carwm.com/public/carpagerpt....LS=349364&C=&B=

or maybe Blue Bridge Ventures new mixed use project on North Monroe. The WAM site is pretty good sized, and the GR Spring facility is about 100,000 square feet.

3. Check

4. See above

5. Check

6. Check

7. Check

This page shows the Whole Foods contact person for Michigan

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/realestate/brokerlist.pdf

Although Whole Foods is mainly in suburban locations in Michigan (I consider that part of Washtenaw in Ann Arbor suburban :P ), they have done Whole Foods in many urban settings. A non-profit group in Pittsburgh was very instrumental in bringing a Whole Foods to a blighted area in East Liberty:

http://www.pwapgh.com/portfolio/whole_foods.html

What about Cherry Street Landing?

Hmmmmm..

Sorry gat, I got a little sidetracked with your post. To satisfy your craving for Crate & Barrel, we do have a Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware at Rivertown Crossings, or the new EQ3 downtown, or D2, or Rock Koffmans Urban House, and probably a myriad of other locally owned stores around town. You might have to drive or take the bus, but you probably don't walk to Somerset now ;)

Trader Joes - don't know, maybe try GB Russo's on 29th.

I need to start shortening my posts. Sorry. :whistling:

A Whole Foods has been brought up on this forum before as a great addition to downtown retail.  I happened to find this page on Whole Foods' website regarding what they look for in a potential site:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/realestate/index.html

Let's see:

1.  Check

2.  Possibly.  I can think of one of the buildings proposed for Mid Towne Village, that might have highway visibility, foot traffic from Heritage Hill/downtown area, and Michigan Street/College traffic:

http://public.carwm.com/public/carpagerpt....LS=349364&C=&B=

or maybe Blue Bridge Ventures new mixed use project on North Monroe.  The WAM site is pretty good sized, and the GR Spring facility is about 100,000 square feet.

3.  Check

4.  See above

5.  Check

6.  Check

7.  Check

This page shows the Whole Foods contact person for Michigan

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/realestate/brokerlist.pdf

Although Whole Foods is mainly in suburban locations in Michigan (I consider that part of Washtenaw in Ann Arbor suburban :P ), they have done Whole Foods in many urban settings.  A non-profit group in Pittsburgh was very instrumental in bringing a Whole Foods to a blighted area in East Liberty:

http://www.pwapgh.com/portfolio/whole_foods.html

What about Cherry Street Landing?

Hmmmmm..

Sorry gat, I got a little sidetracked with your post.  To satisfy your craving for Crate & Barrel, we do have a Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware at Rivertown Crossings, or the new EQ3 downtown, or D2, or Rock Koffmans Urban House, and probably a myriad of other locally owned stores around town.  You might have to drive or take the bus, but you probably don't walk to Somerset now ;)

Trader Joes - don't know, maybe try GB Russo's on 29th.

I need to start shortening my posts.  Sorry. :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

im just trying to picture where such a system could be built.

I wounld imagine with the wide spaces inbetween traffic on I-96, and most of 131 (until you hit the junction) Lightrail could be built there. But as for getting into town, 131 would have to be ripped apart in the middle, or be elevated.

I would love to see light rail (especially if it came up to Walker City Hall, and Alpine Ave.) in GR, but man it just seems like it would be a huge expense. Where would the stops be?

I can probably think of 20 or so, but would we need more? is that too many?

some potential spots I can think of:

In Downtown:

In front of Devos Convention Center (for the Hotels, and the convention center)

By Van Andel Arena on Ionia Ave. (for VAA)

Inside Bostick Commons at GRCC (easy to access the library, the school, and other functions of the area)

On Fulton by GVSU (For access oto the new Y, the GVSU campus, and the nearby residential properties)

On Michigan Ave by the hospital.

Up to Bridge Street by Bridgewater Place, (River House), and Union Square.

Outside DT area:

Lake Michigan Drive at Wilson (with a parking ramp for any GVSU students from

Rememberance Road at Wilson

Allendale heading to DT GVSU campus

East Beltline by Knapp

28th Street at East Paris

28th @ Wilson

44th Street at Division

44th at Wilson

Northland Drive

Somewhere along the South Beltline (I gotta be honest, I dont travel it ever.)

Blodgett Hospital

Thats all I can think of, IM sure more of you wuld have better places :P

Archived