920 Cherry Block Party Flyer

GRGridGirl

Hello All:

Check out the 920 Cherry Block Party Flyer on my photosite.

I posted more photos from "Historic GR" and I included photos from the June storm that ripped through Uptown.

Also, don't forget to check out the East Hills Artist Market & Jazz Fest this Saturday from 10am-5pm. Cherry Street will be closed from Diamond to Warren for this event.

Take care!

Grid Girl

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All:

I posted more photos from "Historic GR" and I included photos from the June storm that ripped through Uptown.

Also, don't forget to check out the East Hills Artist Market & Jazz Fest this Saturday from 10am-5pm.  Cherry Street will be closed from Diamond to Warren for this event. 

Take care!

Grid Girl

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Grid Girl,

Looks like a fun party. I'll plan on being there. The 920 Cherry project is going to change the face of that whole neighborhood.

Love the picture of the columns coming down. Timber!!!!!

Nitro

Nice pics GridGirl. I especially like the one of them smashing the pillars of 920 Cherry. What were people thinking?!

Joe

Hello All:

Also, don't forget to check out the East Hills Artist Market & Jazz Fest this Saturday from 10am-5pm.  Cherry Street will be closed from Diamond to Warren for this event. 

Take care!

Grid Girl

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice pics GridGirl. I especially like the one of them smashing the pillars of 920 Cherry. What were people thinking?!

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I let out a gasp when I saw it. :o I for one could spend a lifetime trying to figure out the mental state of the people whos bright Idea it was to do that to such a wonderful building.

Yes. It was a great little "Block Party" on a beautiful summer evening. Free food, free music and great news on a New Urbanism style development in the heart of GR.

The story on 920 Cherry is like this:

The orphanage proper will be the offices and training facility for ICCF (Inner-City Christian Fellowship) which is now 30 years old and is sort of like Habitat for Humanity except with Rehabbing old houses instead of building new ones.

Also on the site:

1. 37 Row House style Condos put up by Second Story and Bazzani.

2. Retail on NE corner of site similar to "vintage" building on NW side of site.

3. Formal gardens in front of ICCF building.

4. Also, I'm assuming the whole site will be "Rain Gardened" similar to Center of the Universe and other Bazzani sites. (though I'm not sure how this squares with "formal gardens")

Condos were 150-200,000 or so and I think I heard 40% sold (don't quote me!)

GOTG

Condos were 150-200,000 or so and I think I heard 40% sold (don't quote me!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think anything has been sold yet. I heard them say that they had taken 10 or so reservations.

Bazzani should have the info on this.

Nitro

The real question in when are they going to get down to the business of restoring the old building, and constructing the townhomes and retail? Is work underway at the site? Haven't seen any info/marketing on Bazzani or Second Story websites. When I inquired via e-mail, ever heard back.

The real question in when are they going to get down to the business of restoring the old building, and constructing the townhomes and retail? Is work underway at the site?  Haven't seen any info/marketing on Bazzani or Second Story websites.  When I inquired via e-mail, ever heard back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe it's a bit of a waiting game at the moment. Their brownfield tax credits haven't been approved yet. Slated for Mid July I think. Work will begin after that.

ICCF doesn't intend on starting their renovation until the spring. At the block party Johnathan Bradford indicated that demo would start soon but their portion of the work wouldn't really pick up steam until spring. It appears Rockford Const. will be doing the renovation of the building itself. Bazzani/Second Story will do the townhouses around the perimeter.

Nitro

All-

Here is the site plan for the 920 Cherry Project that was displayed at the Block Party. Check it out at 920 Cherry Site Plan.

It was said that this project will be in phases, with Phase I including the townhomes along Hollister (ready Spring 2006) and the new retail building on Cherry Street (ready before the 2005 holidays).

There was an article yesterday in the GR Advance about this area. Did anyone else read it?

Grid Girl

Thanks for the map. This are is looking great. Cherry/Diamond is definitely at the forefront for becoming the spot to shop and dine in Uptown. I am totally impressed everytime I drive by.

We ate at the new Cherry Street Deli the other day and I highly recommend it.

Joe

All-

Here is the site plan for the 920 Cherry Project that was displayed at the Block Party.  Check it out at 920 Cherry Site Plan.

It was said that this project will be in phases, with Phase I including the townhomes along Hollister (ready Spring 2006) and the new retail building on Cherry Street (ready before the 2005 holidays).

There was an article yesterday in the GR Advance about this area.  Did anyone else read it?

Grid Girl

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 month later...

Not to bring this back from the dead but any new news on this? I'm really interested but I'm about to give up since Second Story hasn't been good at all at returning phone calls and emails. Seems to me like they don't want to sell these things. I have left more than a few voicemails for different people and plenty of emails. I'll be calling Bazzani today, hopefully they are more helpful.

Archived