minneapolis ain't half bad

MrSmith

NY, Seattle, San Fran are all great skylines, but Minneapolis is pretty darn awesome-- especially at night. Unlike other smaller cities, the downtown is very compact and creates this really nice progression of buildings. Most of the buildings are lit at night -- the new Target headquarter building has a five or six story top which pulsates different colors and patterns. It is down right spectacular!!

See pics at the folowing Web sites:

Skyline pics

minneapolis pic

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least you could do is post some pics. 

IMO, Minneapolis has a skyline that follows these cities' skylines:

New York

Chicago

Philadelphia

San Francisco

Seattle

Los Angeles

Atlanta

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amazing... It appears to me that the skyline has had an addition or two even in the year since I've left Minnesota! I love the photo with the new light rail line, which I'm sorry I never got to try (I left several days before it started up).

I'd personally put Minneapolis' skyline ahead of Atlanta's, which I've never found (at least for me) had as much drama. I'd probably also put Pittsburgh a hair ahead of Minneapolis as well, again, because I think's it's skyline has a bit more drama.

I really miss the Twin Cities, don't 'ya know! The rest of Minnesota, not so much...

- Garris

Providence, RI

Minny does have a great skyline. Everything is so new and built up. I think it would be much better if it had a mix of older skyscrapers as well as the new but the cities boom has come at a different time. I definitely would like to visit it one of these days. Maybe ill go up for a football game and watch the Lions kill the Vikings. :)

Amazing...  It appears to me that the skyline has had an addition or two even in the year since I've left Minnesota!  I love the photo with the new light rail line, which I'm sorry I never got to try (I left several days before it started up). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the Grant Park tower (27-stories) was recently completed. Now the Carlyle (39-stories) is under construction and Skyscape (26-stories) and the Ivy tower (24-stories) are about to break ground this month. The Nicollet (50- to 60-stories) plans on an August groundbreaking.

I'd personally put Minneapolis' skyline ahead of Atlanta's, which I've never found (at least for me) had as much drama.  I'd probably also put Pittsburgh a hair ahead of Minneapolis as well, again, because I think's it's skyline has a bit more drama. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I put Atlanta ahead basically because of the height factor and I won't argue about Pittsburgh being ahead. That's definitely a tough one.

Well, the Grant Park tower (27-stories) was recently completed.  Now the Carlyle (39-stories) is under construction and Skyscape (26-stories) and the Ivy tower (24-stories) are about to break ground this month.  The Nicollet (50- to 60-stories) plans on an August groundbreaking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Compare the current skyline to the old one... Amazing!!

1970's

oldmpls1.jpg

oldmpls2.jpg

oldmpls3.jpg

From http://www.twincityscape.com/

- Garris

Providence, RI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From a fellow Minnesotan:

The subject of this thread is truly Minnesotan. While many other threads might burst out and say simply "My city is the best. Look at my pride and joy".. A Minnesota would never do that for fear of giving up the tight upper lip in place for a burst of emotion.

And so, as a fellow Minnesotan, I agree "Minneapolis ain't half bad." Now how about some wild rice hot dish?

I live in southern MN and the Twins Cities are sooooo handy to have 90 minutes away. Unless its 3-6pm on a weekday or a holiday its simple and quick to get to either downtown, or the mall of america. People always say they wouldn't come here because of the cold. Well its only snowy-cold november-march. And that cold spurt is what makes the 90 degree hot humid summer days feel so damn good. Along with the perfect fall weather.

I guess I'll be the lone person on this thread to say something negative. It's nice, if you like mirror buildings. Sorry, I don't like mirror buildings. They never acquire character, they just appear more and more outdated as time passes. And Minneapolis is loaded down with mirror buildings. I guess in 40 or 50 years they can redo the outsides of the buildings and take the mirrors off when they are so outdated that people get sick of looking at them...

From a fellow Minnesotan:

The subject of this thread is truly Minnesotan.  While many other threads might burst out and say simply "My city is the best.  Look at my pride and joy".. A Minnesota would never do that for fear of giving up the tight upper lip in place for a burst of emotion.

And so, as a fellow Minnesotan, I agree "Minneapolis ain't half bad."  Now how about some wild rice hot dish?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is soooo true... Another possible title is, "Minneapolis: Could be Worse," don't cha know??

- Garris

Providence, RI

(previously of Rochester, MN)

To those complaining about the cold:

One thing you learn in Minnesota is that it can always be worse. It COULD be -40?F. That is until it reaches -40.. but then you have bragging rights.

And also... you will have to put up with everyone complaining about the heat when it reaches 68?F... It goes something like this:

"Oh geeze Marge.. it's gettin' real dern hot out!".. "Oh YAAAAAAAAA Phyllis.. Doris was tellin' me yesterday that it could hit 80! Myrtle's husband Olaf heard possibly 85!"

"Well yaaa.. I just can't stand this heat. Want some hot dish?" "You betcha!"

Also, if you visit... don't be surprised when you make friends with the person next to you on the air plane. Also, don't be surprised if they start offering you food and start telling you stories about their travels mentioning people as if you knew them on a first name basis. This is not a whacko old woman.. she is just what we proudly call "Minnesota nice."

Archived