Double Headers

AvianKeahi

Reading the thread "Should Minneapolis and St. Paul merge?" I was wondering if other cities had more than one "downtown."

Technically Minneapolis and St. Paul are certainly separate political entities, but their neighborhoods flow into one another and the two downtowns are only about 8 miles apart. What other cities have distinct office districts that have their own skylines and could almost be considered as a separate entity?

To qualify, I would assume that the districts would either be A) within the same political entity, or, B) close enough to each other that one could think of them as a single city.

I can think of St. Louis/Clayton as interesting pairs, or even Atlanta/Buckhead.

And hey, post images of both districts if you can!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dallas/Ft. Worth might be an example that meets your criteria. It is fairly built up between the two and the airport is designated DFW.

South Fla, is a built up area from W. Palm to Miami that has a number of downtowns that climax with the skyscrapers at Miami.

And extreme example would be Tokyo/Yokohama but I am not familiar enough with the situation there to understand the differences between the two. I is one huge urban area.

None of these examples however seems to be as close as MPLS/SP.

Now you're getting into Metroplex's. A good example of cities with two downtown type areas, would be: Pheonix: the skyline is very distinct, it rises multitudes of office buildings, condos and such, and then four miles away, it does the samething, but in the middle there are no high rises it looks kinda weird. Also Detroit: there is downtown Detroit, and then a couple miles to the northwest there is New Center, both have world renown sky scrapers in them. In talking about cities with more than one down town, I think Mpls/St. Paul would definately qualify, you can probabally see one downtown from another, thats a definate need. DC and Baltimore would be to far apart.

I'm not quite sure if that's what your looking for.

Kansas City would fall in this catagory.

It has the downtown district and then 4/5 miles south is the Plaza district with a lot of high rise condos/hotels and the upscale shopping stores for the city, two different districts 4 miles apart, serving different needs.

Archived