Beach Blvd (eastbound)

vladittude0583

Now that they've finally decided to widen Beach Blvd from FCCJ South Campus to Hodges Blvd, I have several questions to ask people who might know the answer.

1) Are they going to finally put some street lighting on Beach Blvd given that it's probably one of the few major roads that doesn't have street lighting from St. John's Bluff Road to Penman Road with the exception of the lighting coming from the retail outlets located along Beach Blvd? Just think about it, of the major roadways in the southern areas of Jacksonville: Atlantic Blvd, JTB, Wonderwood, Kernan Road, Hodges Blvd, San Pablo Road, etc. Beach Blvd seems to be one of the few that doesn't have any street lighting? Why is this so?

2) Are they still on track to widen the other portion of Beach Blvd? If I'm not mistaken, JTA will widen Beach Blvd from Hodges to San Pablo Road and some other organization is supposed to widen Beach Blvd from San Pablo Road to Penman Road (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Beach Blvd is supposed to be widened from Hodges all the way to Penman Road.

3) Where did the funds to widen Beach come from exactly? Is it part of BJP or did the city "take-out" a loan to fund it?

4) Does anyone know what it is they're building off of FCCJ South Campus near the entrance? It seems like a site for perhaps a fast-food joint? Or maybe they've just cleared it to place some pipes or so?

5) From what I've read, they're building 2 two-lane roads on both sides of beach blvd

(which would accuont for the clearing of the land on both sides) as temporary lanes while they work on the middle portion. Does that mean that Beach is going to be widened to the far edges or is it going to be shrunk back down towards the center section when it's all finished being 6lanes?

6) OFF TOPIC ------ I think they should've widened monument rd also to six lanes especially now with the Wal-Mart Supercenter near Regency along with its shopping center. I've driven through that area during rush-hour traffic and it's no joke...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Beach blvd will be 6 line highway,new lighting will be installe from Parental Home to St.Johns Bluff (bidding is in fall of 2005) and also they will resurface same part,as for rest of Beach blvd I belive with widening fase they will install new lighting system but all that will not be finished 'till 2008.

Interesting to know they will also widen Phillips highway to 6 line highway in future.

Beach Blvd. was designated as highway 90 through that area. Beach was a divided rural road. It wasn't that long ago (maybe 15 years or so) when there was absolutley nothing on beach from San Pablo to FCCJ. Thus no need for any type of lighting. I think the new section is going to be urban with a raised median, bike lanes, raised curb, enclosed drainage and sidewalks. Thats probaly why they have the temporary pavement outside of the shoulders. They are going to have to regrade the area in the median and open it up to put in the drainage structures.

As far as money goes, it is probably funded with state and federal dollars. Beach is on the national highway system (US 90) so it will get some funding from there.

The portion over the ICWW will more than likely also have a substation amount of federal funding.

Archived