New Riverside condo coming

BosTech

Riverside apartments targeted for demolition, condos

Stewart Verney

A local developer plans to buy a riverfront apartment complex in Riverside, tear down the buildings and construct condominiums and townhouses.

Midland Development Group, which is developing the 1661 Riverside project near Five Points, hosted a town hall-style meeting Wednesday to discuss its plans for the Riviera Parkway complex on St. Johns Avenue. Midland officials were not available for comment.

The 14-building complex is valued at $4.4 million by the Duval Country Property Appraiser's Office. At the meeting, arranged by Midland and Riverside Avondale Preservation (RAP), Midland officials said they have a contract on the property but have not yet bought it.

Bonnie Grissett, president of RAP, said Midland officials outlined a plan that includes a six-story building on the riverfront flanked by two four-story buildings. Grissett said some RAP members are unhappy with the six-story building idea, but Grissett likes the fact that the buildings will have some space between them.

The existing Riviera Parkway buildings have been renovated and altered sufficiently in the past that they are not worth preserving as historical structures, Grissett said.

"They're non-contributing structures because of the changes they've made [over the years]," she said.

Grissett said Midland officials came to RAP to get the community's input before completing their plans.

"Of all the developers I've ever worked with, I'd rather work with them," Grissett said. "They're not used car salesmen."

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jackso...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really glad to see that Riverside is still getting in on the residential boom action even though it's already the most densely populated area of the city.

Should have upped the floor count a little but I'll take it.

We have phenomenal growth in the suburbs yet we still have a great push going on in all areas of the core.

Yep, it's official. I make myself homesick on these boards everyday.

Where is this project exactly?  What is the cross street?

IS it near the Villas of St. Johns and the Publix?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, believe it or not, it's actually rather deep in the historic district (Publix and the Villas are just outside the boudaries).

It's on the river, a few blocks south of St. Vincents Hospital. You can mapquest it at St Jonhs Ave & Riviera (St, Dr, Pl, Ter, not sure).

Grissett said some RAP members are unhappy with the six-story building idea

Now wait. They're getting rid of an old 14 story building, and replacing it with a 6. I wouldn't be complaining. And I'm still confused as to where this is. (OK, I'm too lazy to Mapquest...) Is it the tower, near the curvy stretch of St. Johns, near that two-story shopping center?

The Riviera Apts are on the river between the shops of Avondale and St Vincents Hospital. They are all old, poorly maintained 2 story apt buildings. I am not sure when they were built, but, as the RAP lady mentioned, they have little architectural merit remaining and thus their demolition would be approved.

Now wait.  They're getting rid of an old 14 story building, and replacing it with a 6.  I wouldn't be complaining.  And I'm still confused as to where this is.  (OK, I'm too lazy to Mapquest...)  Is it the tower, near the curvy stretch of St. Johns, near that two-story shopping center?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not a 14 story building, it's a 14 building complex that is being replaced.

Archived