Cool Buildings

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, Empire State Plaza is unique to say the least. I still can't figure out if I like it or not. Albany was all about the grey back in the 60's and 70's. My school's buildings (SUNY) look exactly like ESP too, skinny windows and all grey.

Habitat, you should post some of your pics in the Albany, NY thread in the New York State section here, I'd love to see them.

• 3 weeks later...

I Love the NYS capitol -- it's all Pei, correct? The NYS Library/museum isn't the best, but the egg and all the towers are brilliant:

I couldn't sit back and allow I M Pei to take the blame for Empire State Plaza. He had nothing to do with it. The architect was a guy by the name of Wallace Harrison of Harrison & Abramovitz. Of course most people still hold Nelson Rockefeller responsible for this disaster that befell Albany in the 1970's, which arguably pushed Albany to the top of the list of ugliest cities in the U.S. This is one occasion when I agreed with all the critics even though I am a rare fan of modern. I still have a copy of Paul Goldberger's hilarious review from 1976, which was filled with words like folly, silly, foolish, bizarre, wasted, inept, absurd, misguided etc, etc.

• 2 months later...

fea8b9c4jpgorig-vi.jpg

Galtier Plaza in St Paul, Minnesota. It manages to incorporate three historical buildings, a 7-story atrium with glass ceiling, YMCA, offices, shops/restaurants, convention/theater space, two apartment/condominium towers (the tower pictured is the tallest residential building in Minnesota), and underground parking for 800 cars. Amazing that it all fits on one city block!

I used to work in this building, and it was a great pleasure being in there -- such a light, bright space that seemed to encourage creativity.

Tulsa Area Buildings, can't choose just one:

First, the Price Tower, Frank Lloyd Wright's only skyscraper, in Bartlesville, outside of Tulsa

Pricetower.jpg

PriceTowerTop.jpg

The Sherwin Miller Museum of Jewish Art

SherwinMillerMuseumofJewishArt.jpg

Tulsa's new arena, under construction now, by Cesar Pelli

bok-center.jpg

pelli_arena.jpg

And probably Tulsa's best building, Bruce Goff's art deco cathedral, The Boston Avenue Methodist Church

boston_ave_church_1.jpg

boston_ave_church_2.jpg

Boston_Ave_Entry_Small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's some really cool stuff going on here in Miami, but here's a couple of established buildings I love.

This is the Scottish Rite building. It was built some time in the 1920's. This is a bit of a gem because it's in a section of town that is now not the greatest neighborhood to be in and last I heard the Mason's sold the building to the county. I'm not sure what the county is going to use it for but I think this building is protected. It located right alongside the Miami River.

3413737_1376bb5c67.jpg

This is the Bank of America Tower (originally the Centrust tower) built by I.M. Pei in 1984 (?). This building is basically what defines Miami's skyline.

3366413_bd2b33b9b0.jpg

This next one is a tragedy to me. It's the old Miami Marine Stadium built by Hilario Candela from the firm Spillis Candela here in Miami. It was abandoned years ago (I think some time in the late 70's) and when Hurrican Andrew swept through here in the mid-90's it nearly destroyed the building, but it is considered structurally unsound.

3412600_b39caa790d.jpg

3412709_6784ce164e.jpg

There are plenty more that I haven't covered, especially once you get into South Beach, and not to mention the Four Season's tower that just went up here not too long ago, but I think this'll be good for now.

Archived