Fire at Park Apartments

baldy

From WDIV

Residents escaped through windows after a three-alarm fire swept through an apartment building in downtown Detroit Thursday morning.

The fire started at the Park Apartments, located at Park and Adams streets, on the eighth and ninth floors of the 14-story building, Local 4 reported. Witnesses said residents hung out windows and used sheets to lower themselves to safety.

No injuries were reported.

The fire was brought under control at about 2 a.m., Local 4 learned. The cause of the blaze is under investigation.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read about this. The ironic thing is, the night of the big Piquette blaze, I rode my bike up to the firing inferno, and a fellow Detroiter also did the same. His name was Branden, and he rode his bike up to mine on the sidewalk as we talked and watched the fire. His bike ride brought him from the Park Apartments downtown.

At least nobody was injured. Safety is always a concern, especially when you're talking about older highrises.

The news made it sound like the fire was more of a smokey fire. Fortunately it was contained to just the 8th & 9th floors.

I really do hope this isnt the beginning of a long summer for Detroit. The firefighters sure are making a legit case with all these fires now arent they? A 5 and 3 alarm fire just days apart. I think it would be a huge mistake to cut the departments.

This is very typical during the summers. People aren't happy, conditions in urban areas still suck, and people have nothing to do. I expect that there will be a bunch more fires coming. There isn't too much anyone can do, but keep an eye on abandoned homes. Things are going to be hot this summer.

They caught those guys. Wouldn't suprise me if the police asked them why they started the fire and their response was "Well uhm, we were upset the Pistons lost, so we started these houses on fire." We are all disspointed the Pistons loss, but sorry, this excuse won't work.

Good thing those guys didn't live in my highrise.

The news reported last night that the homes that were burned down were just recently renovated, but no one moved in yet. How utterly SAD...

I met a gentleman who was buying nice homes in HP and renovating them to sell. He was doing great work for himself and the people of HP. It's such a shame that people have to ruin such good energy and have to resort to kicking this city while it's already 6 feet under.

Archived