What do we call the center of Charlotte?

dubone

Which moniker to you prefer?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which moniker to you prefer?

• Uptown
    • Downtown
    • Center City
    • I don't care, just decide and stick with one already!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I and most people I talk to that are actually from Charlotte have always called it downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yankees. :P

My grandmother lived here 96 years (born 1900). It was uptown to her. Then again, she also used mass transit (trolleys from Plaza-Midwood until 1940 and then the bus system). She was a true urbanite! Imagine living here and never owning a car. She did.

Well, I find myself calling it DOWNTOWN more than UPTOWN lately. But, UPTOWN's cool...I still use it enough to keep it in my memory. I don't like the term CENTER CITY....it sounds....hmmm.....dialuted - & it belongs to another city (Philly).....& another city's identity is the LAST thing Charlotte needs.

It's interesting that we are having this debate. In Boston, no one debates the names of Kenmore Square or Roxbury or the South End. Is this an indication of an identity issue? Are we uncomfortable with our custom? I think CCCP is. Or is the confusion caused by something else? Has the influx of outsiders muddied the waters in a natural transition to new customs?

Are you referring to the former Soviet Empire, or the college in downtown Charlotte known as CPCC?  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh: Charlotte Center City Partners.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: ah the irony ;) I bet they wouldnt have chosen that name 20 years ago.

I think of it as Uptown, and I try to say it, but often if comes out as Downtown. I [refer Uptown better. Its more unique..... every city in America has a downtown.

I say Uptown as do most people I know. It has been historically called uptown and I personally like uptown better. When someone says downtown I usually assume that they are not native or rarely venture into uptown. I will sometimes say Center City but only when I am talking about more than one neighborhood (ex. SouthEnd, Elizabeth, and Uptown) as I personally consider those and other close in neighborhoods to be center city neighborhoods.

:rofl: ah the irony ;) I bet they wouldnt have chosen that name 20 years ago.

I think of it as Uptown, and I try to say it, but often if comes out as Downtown. I [refer Uptown better. Its more unique..... every city in America has a downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, probably why I have never seen them referred to by their intiials until now. :P

in the carolinas, many towns are built on hills, and historically it is quite common to call the central business districts "uptown", and charlotte is no exception... but i'm sure for as many people who have always said "uptown", there are as many that have always said "downtown", or both.

I say all three, and a few others, but i like "uptown" because i think it is regionally unique and interesting... but i get mildly annoyed at debating uptown v. downtown everytime i say where i live, so i say "downtown" a little more often when talking casually. If i do say "uptown", i always say it " uptown' ".

I really dislike "center city", but it is okay for me if it is talking about the area within a few miles radius of trade and tryon, rather than just the single sq mi grid.

I have also thought it would be cool to make really specific boundaries for each, such as South Tryon CBD being Downtown, North Tryon CBD being Uptown... but that is just an attempt at a compromise to end the debate, as many outsiders find it dumb that Charlotteans use opposite words as synonyms.

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed.  I have found this to be the case as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Born and raised here and most of my friends call it downtown. I know a guy who grew up near JCSU and the reason he called it downtown was b/c Biddle Hall, which is on JCSU's campus, is on the tallest point in the city. So technically from there, to get to center city you have to go "down"

coming from NY it's hard to think of "uptown" and not think of yuppie "sex and the city" wannabe divas. however, it's grown on me. the only annoying thing is having to explain it to people when they come down to visit ..

"no, down here uptown means downtown"

"then where is uptown?"

"downtown"

"but i thought you said.."

"nevermind"

What's wrong with Sex in the City?  I see no problem with women celebrating their sexuality and drinking bucketfulls of cosmopolitans.  If that's yuppie, count me in!  Just let me drink something different...don't like cosmos...too sweet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as a man i'm ALL for woman celebrating anything having to do with sexuality. it's the psuedo-diva posh attitude of "i'm better than you because i'm wearing d&g" that gets annoying.

yuppie usually means over privileged born into tons of money and never worked a day in your life to me

i think the "p" in yuppie contradicts the idea that they don't work.

isn't there another word for people who don't work and were born rich? i don't think that when i think of the word yuppie, i guess.

either way, i'm sure part of why boosters in charlotte have embraced "uptown" more than "downtown" is that uptown has better connotation for being upscale or nice. I'm still convinced that it is a southern, small town language thing traditionally, but i think the people that pay for signs had their reasons, too.

I like (uptown) cause it's different.

And there is a term for "the psuedo-diva posh attitude of "i'm better than you because i'm wearing d&g"". I think the term is "Myers Park Housewife". You know the ones. They don't work, but they don't stay home with the kids, either. The au pair does that. The housekeeper keeps things tidy. The gardner or lawn service takes care of the yard. The Myers Park Housewife goes to the Club, shops for shoes, and drives around in a giant SUV talking on the mobile phone.

If a working woman wants to be flashy with her clothes (and they happen to be D&G), fine by me. At least she is paying for it with money she earned by being employed.

Now don't take this the wrong way. The VAST majority of housewives in this city work hard, take care of children, put food on the table, mow grass, help with homework, etc. They are in a league above us all.

Archived