Tampa pulled into Gay-Pride controversy

bobliocatt

Regarding Harris and the election of 2000, this is utterly untrue and repeating it ad nauseum doesnt make it so.  Based on every single recount done by the State, the counties and even the media (who counted every single vote whether or not the voter was competent enough to pierce a sheet of cardboard with a metal object) Bush beat Gore in Florida in 2000.  When will we stop hearing this nonsense??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I misspoke. It wasn't my intent to say that Harris got Bush elected; if you prefer a conspiracy theory, you'd point the finger at Sandra Day O'Connor anyway, not Harris, who was just doing her job. At this point even most people who (like me) don't like Harris don't really believe she "got the governor's brother elected President;" I was just using the spin to point out where her fame came from.

The point I was trying to make was that Harris' portfolio was unspectacular and she was not well known until the 2000 fiasco (and regardless of how you feel about its outcome surely you'd agree it was a fiasco); and it was directly because of the fame gained through said fiasco that she's risen as far as she has. And this, I posit, makes Ronda Storms--who aside from the family riches is pretty much Katherine Harris on many levels--jealous. I seriously think Storms makes gay right such a big issue because she needs a big issue for an upcoming campaign. Time will tell.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, well. Everyone needs a bogeyman, a focus for their anger.

I suppose Pat Robertson fits the bill as well as many.

Dale, I think I said words like "amused" and "disbelief," and I can't quite see how thinking Robertson's comments on assassinating an elected official are "scary" makes me angry.

Seems to me those publicly advocating assassination have the anger issues...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad to see your not so addled as the normally Robertson-addled. ;)

Sorry, I misspoke.  It wasn't my intent to say that Harris got Bush elected; if you prefer a conspiracy theory, you'd point the finger at Sandra Day O'Connor anyway, not Harris, who was just doing her job.  At this point even most people who (like me) don't like Harris don't really believe she "got the governor's brother elected President;" I was just using the spin to point out where her fame came from.

The point I was trying to make was that Harris' portfolio was unspectacular and she was not well known until the 2000 fiasco (and regardless of how you feel about its outcome surely you'd agree it was a fiasco); and it was directly because of the fame gained through said fiasco that she's risen as far as she has.  And this, I posit, makes Ronda Storms--who aside from the family riches is pretty much Katherine Harris on many levels--jealous.  I seriously think Storms makes gay right such a big issue because she needs a big issue for an upcoming campaign.  Time will tell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll say this much for Harris. My wife runs the UCF Technology Incubator, which Katherine Harris toured last week. Now my wife has dignitaries whisking through all the timem from Republicans like Jeb Bush to Democrats like our mayor Buudy Dyer. And my wife, clearly taken aback, related how she's never witnessed a politician who had such a supreme grasp of what the incubator is trying to do for the area and the state. My wife allowed as how her perception of Harris was shattered in a very positive way.

By way of comparison, my wife, who, like me, is registered unafilliated, said that Mayor Dyer did little more than wander the hall with a 'pasted smile'.

Oh, and this is one Floridian who's not going to flog himself over the manner in which the (arguably) closest election in the history of the world played out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ahem.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/17/Hillsbor...dering_ra.shtml

I told you Storms was going to run for Tom Lee's seat. On balance, this may be a positive thing for Hillsborough. We'll be rid of her by February or March at the latest, and frankly she has more power to make us look bad on BOCC than she will in the Senate. That said, she'll probably win the nomination and she'll probably get elected, and those of us who don't live in her district who are embarassed by her now because she represents our county, won't have to be embarassed by her any more.

Archived