Upscale Lofts planned for Franklin Street

bobliocatt

Mize & Sefair Properties Inc. plans to build a 4 unit, four- story project called City Lofts at the north end of Franklin Street. Each units will have a garage level topped with three floors of living space and a rooftop area. Construction will start in December and prices will range from $800-$900k.

Still, other developers wonders if Sefair's pricing is too ambitious.

Franklin Street New Hip Downtown Address

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mize & Sefair Properties Inc. plans to build a 4 unit, four- story project called City Lofts at the north end of Franklin Street. Each units will have a garage level topped with three floors of living space and a rooftop area. Construction will start in December and prices will range from $800-$900k.

Still, other developers wonders if Sefair's pricing is too ambitious.

Franklin Street New Hip Downtown Address

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I think the price is way too expensive but then again they're only building 4 units and I'm sure land price isn't cheap so it sort of makes sense. It's different when you build a condo building with over 100 units and charge 700k and up... *cough* Trump Tower.

Hello, I am the developer of the project. Pretty soon our website will be completed and you will be able to see the proposed project. I will keep you posted when it is complete. You will find that the design is very unique and different from all the other projects in the downtown core. What the reporter failed to mention was proper info on the units. Each unit is Over 3200 sqft/3 bed+Loft (830 sqft master bedroom)/4.5 baths/private elevator in each unit/roof top terrace/2 wet bars-in loft & rooftop/5 levels-All levels over look the living room). Our project is different than a standard condo. Our per sqft is in line with the Residences of Franklin Street (in some cases lower-compared to their units) and other projects being sold in the area. So far we have had an extremely positive response from the City on the proposal. Our intentions were to build large places for those people looking for the urban lifestyle whom did not want to sacrifice square footage. I think that all the projects being proposed/built will make the Franklin Street area a very exciting and enjoyable place to live.

If anyone has any further questions on it, let me know I will do my best to answer them.

Are these going to look like townhouses? The part where it says "on top of a garage" scares me. Are they private, individual garages? If so, I don't think something like that belongs in the middle of downtown. The density is pretty low for the Franklin Street vision and way too low for the overall downtown vision.

Hello, I am the developer of the project.  Pretty soon our website will be completed and you will be able to see the proposed project.  I will keep you posted when it is complete.  You will find that the design is very unique and different from all the other projects in the downtown core.  What the reporter failed to mention was proper info on the units. Each unit is Over 3200 sqft/3 bed+Loft (830 sqft master bedroom)/4.5 baths/private elevator in each unit/roof top terrace/2 wet bars-in loft & rooftop/5 levels-All levels over look the living room).  Our project is different than a standard condo. Our per sqft is in line with the Residences of Franklin Street (in some cases lower-compared to their units) and other projects being sold in the area.  So far we have had an extremely positive response from the City on the proposal.  Our intentions were to build large places for those people looking for the urban lifestyle whom did not want to sacrifice square footage.  I think that all the projects being proposed/built will make the Franklin Street area a very exciting and enjoyable place to live.

If anyone has any further questions on it, let me know I will do my best to answer them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why did you pick downtown for such a sububanish project? A lot of people want to be in a high rise for the luxury and views from the 30th or 40th floors. What do you think about the city counsel being against tall buildings? All these scaled down versions are what makes Tampa look like a small town. Do you have any plans for anything bigger?

Yes, these are going to be similar to town homes in the sense that you own it from the ground level up, but the look will be more modern. Each unit will have a 2 car private garage which will be accessed through the back (rear) of the unit not the front. The Front of the units will have a clean modern look. We picked the downtown area because we believe that there are people whom want to live in down town, but also want to have a place larger than the 1500-1700 sqft average that is being built in the area. The design of the project fits the downtown image. What people have to understand is that there are parts in the area of downtown where the lots are very small and there are many different owners, which makes it hard to accumulate a large parcel of land. Also, there is only so much you can do. We cannot build a 10 story project in our lot and also be able to accommodate parking (Our lot is very small). Keep in mind that the lots where "Skypoint" is being built along with the other proposed buildings, those are almost full city blocks. We kept our project this size to fit in line with the Arlington Lofts that are currently being built right across the street from ours. That project is 3 stories. I do not think that projects such as ours nor the Arlington Lofts bring a

Hello, I am the developer of the project.  Pretty soon our website will be completed and you will be able to see the proposed project.  I will keep you posted when it is complete.  You will find that the design is very unique and different from all the other projects in the downtown core.  What the reporter failed to mention was proper info on the units. Each unit is Over 3200 sqft/3 bed+Loft (830 sqft master bedroom)/4.5 baths/private elevator in each unit/roof top terrace/2 wet bars-in loft & rooftop/5 levels-All levels over look the living room).  Our project is different than a standard condo. Our per sqft is in line with the Residences of Franklin Street (in some cases lower-compared to their units) and other projects being sold in the area.  So far we have had an extremely positive response from the City on the proposal.  Our intentions were to build large places for those people looking for the urban lifestyle whom did not want to sacrifice square footage.  I think that all the projects being proposed/built will make the Franklin Street area a very exciting and enjoyable place to live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your description sounds pretty interesting and there's definately a niche in the urban market for it. My main concern would be, how does this development interact with the street or what type of space will front the sidewalks? Do the garages face a side street or alley?

Your description sounds pretty interesting and there's definately a niche in the urban market for it.  My main concern would be, how does this development interact with the street or what type of space will front the sidewalks?  Do the garages face a side street or alley?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes the garages are in the back. The design was something that the city was really interested in and we felt that it fit the image of where this area is going.

If you send me an email I can email you the rendering.

Yes, these are going to be similar to town homes in the sense that you own it from the ground level up, but the look will be more modern.  Each unit will have a 2 car private garage which will be accessed through the back (rear) of the unit not the front.  The Front of the units will have a clean modern look.  We picked the downtown area because we believe that there are people whom want to live in down town, but also want to have a place larger than the 1500-1700 sqft average that is being built in the area.  The design of the project fits the downtown image.  What people have to understand is that there are parts in the area of downtown where the lots are very small and there are many different owners, which makes it hard to accumulate a large parcel of land.  Also, there is only so much you can do.  We cannot build a 10 story project in our lot and also be able to accommodate parking (Our lot is very small).  Keep in mind that the lots where "Skypoint" is being built along with the other proposed buildings, those are almost full city blocks. We kept our project this size to fit in line with the Arlington Lofts that are currently being built right across the street from ours.  That project is 3 stories.  I do not think that projects such as ours nor the Arlington Lofts bring a

It does look nice, and could be a real complement to the Arlington and Residences on Franklin currently going up in that area.

Dan, I read at one point that a developer was planning apartments somewhere on North Franklin. No anything about that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know that there are plans for the properties next to ours (Not set in stone), but I do not know if the develpers were able to get all the lots..There are a lot of different property owners and getting them all to sell with similar terms is very complicated.

Just saw the rendering.  It looks nice.  So what you're saying is the taller the building the wider the base/ground level has to be because you need a lot of space for residental parking.  Since you are a developer, I'm assuming you have scouted out the entire area.  Do you think the south part of downtown is where all the big ones will go.  Do know anything about the FourSeasons?  Do you know if the Hillsborough River Tower idea is dead?  I'm mainly interested in seeing high rises go up just so Tampa has a better skyline and our city looks more cosmopolitan.  I'm not saying there needs to be as much as Miami, but a dozen or so would help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I am very familiar with all the lots in these areas. I think the taller buildings will be closer to where the "SkyPoint" project is. Parking drives all the developments. That is the 1st thing we look to address when we are looking at a site. Don't worry, you will ge to see plenty of high rises go up in the next 24 months. Tampa's skyline will be completly different once it is all said and done.

I am not saying that all the proposed ones will go up, but I would say that 70% of them will break ground.

Nice design..........I guess I would like to see something a bit more modern.....I think this area will be a core to build from and will require a more ambitious design.

I guess I've been reading too much DWELL magazine lately!...sigh

With that said

I would like to commend the developer for appearing on this site. It is very refreshing to have a developer answering questions.

Thank you and good luck.

g

Nice design..........I guess I would like to see something a bit more modern.....I think this area will be a core to build from and will require a more ambitious design.

I guess I've been reading too much DWELL magazine lately!...sigh

With that said

I would like to commend the developer for appearing on this site.  It is very refreshing to have a developer answering questions.

Thank you and good luck.

g

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the compliment. We did have other radical designs in mind, but the city also has a "say" on what they preffer to see. As a developer, we prefer to work with the city. Makes our lives much easier.

Thank you for the compliment.  We did have other radical designs in mind, but the city also has a "say" on what they preffer to see.  As a developer, we prefer to work with the city.  Makes our lives much easier.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you still think the city will be OK with a scaled down project for Kress and the block to the north? BTW I drove around there the other day and got a good look at the Kress building from the Franklin side. It has a beautifil facade. Don't know what kind of arcitecture it is but it is impressive. The Florida Ave. side is a little bit cleaner looking. Hope it all works out in that part of DT. Question? Does your company do lofts in suburban areas? Why in Tampa do all the lofts have to be built in the Channelside area? I live in Carrollwood and see some areas around here that could compete.

Yes, I think the City will approve a scaled back proposal.  It is in the best interest of the City to do so.  The Kress building sure is a nice historical building which will benefit from the restoration.  MSP, Inc  does projects everywhere in the bay area.  The Channelside/Downtown/Ybor City areas are attractive to lofts becuase of the commercial feel that those areas ave.  It is very difficult to pull off that look (loft/modern) in a typical residential setting like North Tampa/Carrollwood/Westchase..etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then maybe Carrollwood is in need of some major changes! With the Tampa urban sprawl going northwest I feel that Carrollwood is part of Tampa even though we are unincorporated. I'm sick of all this typical suburban BS. I do admit that there is practical retail right around the corner, a Walmart, Publix and other cookie cutter biz that we support but my question is why can't the suburbs compete with the Urban life in this day & age? I ask you as if you are a pro.

Then maybe Carrollwood is in need of some major changes!  With the Tampa urban sprawl going northwest I feel that  Carrollwood is part of Tampa even though we are unincorporated.  I'm sick of all this typical suburban BS.  I do admit that there is practical retail right around the corner, a Walmart, Publix and other cookie cutter biz that we support but my question is why can't the suburbs compete with the Urban life in this day & age?  I ask you as if you are a pro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By commercial I mean, Commercial feel in design. I did not mean that those areas cannot have urban living nor that Carrollwood is not part of Tampa. The suburbs can compete with the urban lifestyle. The problem is that the two are very different. If you live in the City (Downtown/Ybor/Channelside) you do not expect to have a yard, a private pool, and prob a large unit, but that is part of the appeal to living right in the center of town. The lifestyle itself is very different. I hope I understood you question correctly.

I know that there are plans for the properties next to ours (Not set in stone), but I do not know if the develpers were able to get all the lots..There are a lot of different property owners and getting them all to sell with similar terms is very complicated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I posted this before but.......did not show up, so here goes again.

I would like to commend the developer for addressing questions on this site.

I would love to also see other developers take as much pride in there projects as to answer similar questions.

Thank You

g

• 3 weeks later...

Once again I find this thread weeks after the last discussion on it. If dan494949 is still around I'd love to ask some specific questions about this proposal and the land it's being built on; I'll ask those at the end.

I generally hate everything because I'm just a pessimistic old beotch, but I think this is actually a good little project for the area, provided the folks who move in here don't suddenly decide that they don't want me riding my bike on the sidewalk. Arlington, across the street, is only two stories tall, so this will in fact be bigger. Based on the comment that Arlington is across the street, I'm assuming we're talking about the Franklin St. side of the block bounded by Franklin/Fortune/Tampa/Royal. This is not a huge block anyway, even if a developer did get the entire thing; I'm not sure a highrise would be appropriate for it. Midrise would be nice, but four stories will look appropriate there and that's as much as we can ask for.

Now, about that block.

There are two buildings on that block. The old brick one has been condemned. There've been construction signs and crews working on the newer single-story one for several weeks, but calls to the construction company office proved utterly fruitless in determining what was going on there. Since the construction is happening on the Tampa St. side of the block, I assume that's not this project. Does anyone, anyone at all, know what that project is?

Does anyone know the status of the condemned brick building? I tried to break into it last Saturday between rain bands, but had no success; from the outside, it appears as though at least the top floor is structurally unsound. I assume that there are no plans to save the building, but don't know. (I'm secretly in love with it.)

Now, the renderings on these townhomes look to me like they're not going to take up the entire block, but rather only the portion of the block that is currently a grass parking lot. I would certainly hope not, as doing so would mean that drivers entering downtown on Tampa St. would be greeted with the backside of some garages on that block. This is not really an improvement on the abandoned buildings on the block at present.

So, dan494949 if you're still around, I'd love to know more about the rest of the block you're working on. Are you using the whole space? Do you know what's being done at the smaller building? Are you aware of any plans for the brick three-story? How many landowners are on that block, and do you know of their plans?

I'll head out and snap a couple photos tomorrow so folks can get an idea.

And, in the same neighborhood, does anybody know what's being built at the corner of Harrison and Florida?

Archived